kitchen renovation advice please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kitchen renovation advice please

I am doing up a two bed purposed built BTL flat in an expansive south east sea side town and my partner and I have different opinions on what to put into the kitchen.

I want to use:
    - Gloss door with handle,
    - laminate worktop,
    - Integrated dishwasher and washing machine,
    - Vinyl flooring.

My partner wants to use:
    - Handless door
    - Solid-surface worktop or even quartz.
    - No appliance, but leave spaces for plumbing.
    - Tiled floor.

My focus is based on getting the flat look nice and desirable in the market (hence the integrated appliances) without spending too much. My partner on the other hands, wants to focus on minimum efforts in maintenance or repair in future. She feels that spending on door/worktop/floorings can save us a lot of time and money in long term. I'm very interested in what other LL thinks. Our target market is working professionals. Many Thanks.

- Not all floors are good for tiling (are you on the ground floor with a concrete floor)?
    - Vinyl costs <100 - looks fine
    - Main downsides of not fitting appliances is that your property is destroyed by moving appliances, and definitely not good with vinyl floors. Depends if you average 6 month tenancies or 5 years- we can't tell from here.
    I tend not to have integrated appliances. Standard appliances that fit under a worktop and slide in are much less hassle

Comment

I would go for the tiled floor (keep some spare tiles) and space for appliances unless you're in an area where tenant's expect them. I don't think the doors make much difference, that's just personal preference. Wood worktops need oiling which t probably won't do, stone looks nice but is expensive and can stain, chip and crack. I use a decent vinyl and replace when it's tatty. I think they all have pros and cons.

Comment

I have been using the new vinyl tiles for kitchens and bathrooms that are around now. Malmo from Jewson and other sheds are particularly tough yet good looking. Also waterproof. Wickes also have a good range. They come in oblong/almost square and plank formats and a step up on laminates. I find ceramic floor tiles in kitchens always look grubby when stained with grease which is inevitable.
        Go for handles - more hard wearing when letting and gloss white fronts are easy to keep clean.

I'd go for laminate worktops maybe wood look - tenants always trash things in the end and this would make them easy to replace. Get ones from say Howdens where the range is available continuously - they trash - you replace same. Makes life easy.

Don't do integrated appliances - they are always more expensive an don't have as much capacity as normal ones. Easier to replace in case of failure too. Bear in mind that your lovely flat will soon be being hammered by tenants and all your careful, hard work will mean nothing to them.
        Clean, good design and practical functionality is what is needed.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Landlord of 30 years, we would all love to go for what we would have at home but the reality is vinyl can look like tiles, there are lovely laminate worktops, go for the square edge, everybody loves a dishwasher and washing machine in situ and definitely handles on doors, otherwise crumbs and dust fall into the grooves of doors without handles and prone to leaving finger prints on glossy doors.

Comment

I wouldn't add more white goods into it, may finish the kitchen look, but more issues long term with them not working etc, I had one tenant, who despite stickers saying no more than 7kg, they stuffed a quilt into it which in turn stopped the washing machine, ended up costing me £200 to get an engineer in to sort it out again.

Comment

ash72,

Yes I wash horse rugs in mine. 9kg is better!

It very much depends on your market as to how much you spend. High end worktops look better but if it doesn't lead to a higher rental return there's little point. The same with white goods. I do have integral white goods in a couple of mine because they were there when it was purchased, but they cost more to replace. And flooring is down to personal taste. Tiles are great but can be cracked by dropping heavy items and vinyl can be ripped but easy to replace. Laminate is dreadful in kitchens as water damage is easy to happen and a pain to have to replace. Swings vs roundabouts. Your girlfriend makes a good point about maintenance. Gloss fronts are easy to clean.

Comment

Sounds like my wife, very good at spending my money.

Comment

Unless it's a solid floor do not tile - one of my expensive mistakes. Get good quality vinyl, not cheap and thin and appliances make it easier to rent. Your tenants will trash the worktop. Either thick wood that you oil yourself at the start and require the tenants in the contract to oil once a year (they wont but you can sand down and charge them for it) or laminate. Provide a worktop saver, they might use it. Matt not gloss door with a handle.

Comment

Forgot to say - not integrated appliances, they are more nuisance when they need repair.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Low EPC
                      by CLS27
                      I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
                      05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
                    • Reply to Low EPC
                      by JK0
                      I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
                      05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
                    • Reply to Low EPC
                      by landlord-man
                      If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
                      05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
                    • Reply to Low EPC
                      by ash72
                      You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
                      05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
                    • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
                      by jpucng62
                      If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
                      02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
                    • Mould in Kitchen
                      by stockport1965
                      Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
                      The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
                      Agent has had someone take a look and have...
                      29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
                    • Septic tank electricity.
                      by Slackjawedyokel
                      Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
                      29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
                    • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
                      by royw
                      I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
                      01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
                      by Slackjawedyokel
                      jpkeates
                      ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
                      01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
                      by Slackjawedyokel
                      flyingfreehold septic tank in the back garden? Soakaway underneath the back garden?🙂...
                      01-08-2020, 16:05 PM
                    Working...
                    X