Encased ceiling LED lights- can only an electrician replace them safely?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Encased ceiling LED lights- can only an electrician replace them safely?

Have just had a total re wire done on rental house and the electrician installed 2 LED lights ( kitchen and bathrooms) which are supposed to last years but in my experience at another property can conk out earlier. At that property it required the agent’s contractor to come out and replace and charge me £50 . Anyone else have these? I am not a fan due to the maintenance costs. Has anyone else got these and managed to replace themself? If not, any better energy friendly alternatives out there, which can easily be replaced? Thank you.

Comment

Picture of the light above.

Comment

Why not buy a few duplicates, and keep them in the garage at home? Then I'm sure it would be a simple matter to swap them any time the need arises.

Comment

The cover should be removable to replace bulbs, I have similar lights and the covers twist to remove, some clip in place, have a look online and you should be able to find how to remove the covers on the ones you have.

Comment

Hi Amy, the cover is removable but inside is a wired in light unit. You can’t simply remove the bulb and replace.

Comment

I refuse to have these lights for exactly this reason. Apart from the cost it's ridiculous to throw the whole light fitting away when all you need is a new bulb. As I understand it you're allowed to replace with like yourself. I might be wrong on this, hopefully someone else will know.

Comment

Yes I feel I am a hostage to fortune and just waiting to get that call from the tenants to say the light has gone and they can’t replace it. I am sure the last one the agents installed in another property did not last anything like the 5-7 years the retailers quote. The property is in another city so I’d have no choice but to call an electrician, but even if I was local I couldn’t sort it. This is probably a daft question, but is there such a thing as an LED light with a replaceable lightbulb?

Comment

Comment

Similar light’s insides ( picture downloaded from internet). Not something a tenant could or should deal with.

Comment

Is that not a circular fluorescent? My larger one has a clip onto the tube plug.

Comment

Hmmm maybe it is. In my case, the electrician has confirmed that changing the light once the LED fails would require an electrician.

Comment

The light in the picture is not an LED light. Its a fluoresent tube with a starter. If these are the lights you are having trouble with, maybe its worth changing to LED when they die

Comment

Well spotted dark star. I downloaded from the internet but then realised it is not an LED. Apologies.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X