What is a fair deposit for an electrician- complete re wire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is a fair deposit for an electrician- complete re wire.

I’m getting s property re wired. The electrician is asking for 50% or £2000. I feel that is too much and have offered 25% up front. Does that sound OK. Thanks for any advice/ comments.

I've always been told that you should never pay a tradesman upfront. They have no incentive to finish a job properly if they have already been paid.
    As most of the electricians costs will be for labour, why does he need such a large deposit?

Comment

I think the guy is maybe worried you will wish to renegotiate the price after the work is done. Maybe someone neutral could hold the 75%?

Comment

Well, I have agreed to 25%. He is worried but I’ve tried to reassure him it’s not my style to withhold payment, unless a job is unfinished or substandard. He’s worked for me before albeit on a much smaller job, and did good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lots on View Post
          Well, I have agreed to 25%. He is worried but I’ve tried to reassure him it’s not my style to withhold payment, unless a job is unfinished or substandard. He’s worked for me before albeit on a much smaller job, and did good work.
          When I built a house the electrician who gave me a quote wanted a deposit. I suggested that if he gave me a list of what he wanted I would buy all the electrical equipment and he only do labour. And thats what happened and by doing that I bought all the electrical equipment wholesale. PS Many electricians are not registered for Vat, find one of those and save 20% Vat

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Basement flat dwelling type
            by blinko
            Hi guys I have a question I've just had an EPC done on a basement flat and the dwellingtype says ground floor flat so I queried it and they said it was to do with with a basement being only Lee a space that does not have have or lose heat to the exterior for example windows and doors and this would...
            14-08-2020, 08:52 AM
          • Mould in Kitchen
            by stockport1965
            Tenant has advised that there is mould behind the kitchen units on the wall. There is also a stained area of ceiling from a leak that was put right back in March.
            The house is 1910 terrace. It is the exterior wall of kitchen that wall units are on.
            Agent has had someone take a look and have...
            29-07-2020, 17:21 PM
          • Low EPC
            by CLS27
            I’ve recently had an EPC done on a 1 bed flat that only has electric panel heaters. The flat was given and F23 with several recommendations, being external/internal insulation and high heat retention storage heaters with a dual immersion cylinder. Obviously I am so far off an E that just changing...
            05-08-2020, 06:15 AM
          • Reply to Low EPC
            by JK0
            I would keep the existing panel heaters and buy some ordinary 2nd hand storage heaters from ebay. These can be wired to spur box timeswitches if you don't have Economy 7 wiring. Only bother with lounge, hall & maybe bathroom if there's room in there. You don't need to put a storage heater in the...
            05-08-2020, 18:58 PM
          • Reply to Low EPC
            by landlord-man
            If you have a loft hatch, stick an extra 300mm insulation all around it - most assessors are too lazy to bring step ladders or climb up there so will do a basic visual check. My last one stood on a stool and held his camera by his fingertips to get an idea of the thickness.
            05-08-2020, 15:12 PM
          • Reply to Low EPC
            by ash72
            You would need to replace all three, as the assessor may spot one and make an assumption that they are all the same. I would discuss with assessor how many additional points it would add, just before you make the investment.

Also the governments green scheme is due to be launched soon,...
            05-08-2020, 14:19 PM
          • Reply to Mould in Kitchen
            by jpucng62
            If it is caused by condensation - probable on an outside wall - you could try painting the wall with bathroom paint (anti mould). I have found this effective where condensation is causing mould behind wardrobes on outside walls. You would need to clean off the mould & treat the stain with a stain...
            02-08-2020, 22:00 PM
          • Septic tank electricity.
            by Slackjawedyokel
            Hi, I’m a farmer (in England) with two cottages that are currently rented out. We have spring water ( which I’m responsible for) and septic tanks for sewerage. I’ve never made any charges for water or sewerage ( despite spending ~40K on improving the water supply over the past few years).
            29-07-2020, 08:05 AM
          • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
            by royw
            I doubt any official will want to take a close look either. Is there any reason they would want to investigate? Neighbour's is 60 years old and still as good as when it was built.
            01-08-2020, 18:39 PM
          • Reply to Septic tank electricity.
            by Slackjawedyokel
            jpkeates
            ​​​​​​I don’t really fancy replacing it either, but I really wouldn’t want anyone official taking too hard a look at the existing septic tank. On the other hand, I’m confident that it isn’t causing pollution so probably all that any official could do is require its...
            01-08-2020, 16:09 PM
          Working...
          X