How is coronavirus likely to affect tradespeople?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is coronavirus likely to affect tradespeople?

I have regained possession of a house which needs a total refurb. I have an electrician onside, but the property needs a total new kitchen, an updated bathroom and new carpets. There’s the added complication that it is not in the city where I live and I have no car so if trains stop I won’t be able to go there. I’m currently looking for a kitchen fitter.
    Is coronavirus likely to make tradesmen more busy, or less?

I'd say it won't affect things like refurb/repairs - most of these guys are self employed and are going to be looking for work.

Just been in Wickes/Toolstation and it was packed! Ordered timber from Jewson this morning - delivery tomorrow but they think they will be closing soon for the duration. Hubby just ordered a milling machine for the workshop and they told him they were really busy but struggling to find a carrier.

We've got a PC down and our IT man says he will fix if we deliver to his front porch - he is also self employed.

Being a landlord and small developer I feel it is a case of Keep Calm and Carry On from a distance.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

thanks Interlakenhoheweg. I like Keep Calm and Carry on from a distance. I’m having a property completed re wired with updated electrics and paying £4000. The electrician has come back to me asking for a 50% deposit which I think is excessive. He tells me some customers are not paying up. I’m offering 25%.

Comment

My goodness.” Interlaken” sorry about the misspelling.

Comment

They are going to be less busy as people do their own minor jobs and also dont want anyone coming to give quotes/ do non essential work. Strictly speaking it will be difficult for them to achieve proper social distancing when there is more than one person on site - but you wont be there to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lots on View Post
            My goodness.” Interlaken” sorry about the misspelling.
            Forgiven. If you already have tradesmen you use all the time I'm sure they will be thankful of the work especially if they can work solo on an empty property. That's what I'm finding at any rate.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X