Stroma won't allow my EPC's to state the correct floor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stroma won't allow my EPC's to state the correct floor

Just had my EPC's done and they say the ground floors are solid with no insulation recommending floor insulation at a cost of £4,000 to £6,000.. They were built in 1990 with block and beam suspended floors with 25mm polystyrene on top then membrane then 18mm chipboard. So definately not solid. They also have plastic airbricks at ground level outside. Apparently the software doesn't give any other option but solid floor or suspended wooden floor for that year. Anyone else had this problem or suggest a solution?
    Mrs Dingle

Oh, well there's no compulsion to act on the recommendations, is there? As long as it's over E, I wouldn't lose sleep over it.

Comment

You are right to feel aggrieved and as time goes during this decade the standard required in the residential private rental market will rise from E; and by quite a long way, possibly to a C.. EPC software needs a lot of refinement/ improvement to be a truly worthwhile yardstick.

Because they measure, in part, the cost of the energy you have the beserk situation whereby, for those properties out in the country beyond the reach of piped gas mains an oil fired central heating system (because the fuel is cheaper per unit of heat) gives a significantly higher EPC score than ultra clean LPG. Oil systems make much more airborne particulate waste than LPG.

Write to your MP and actually everyone in this sector should do so with their observations.The Government's tool is so blunt and ill designed that it will end up that landlords have to sell perfectly good character properties for whatever they can get because they don't fit the EPC criteria as defined by the poorly conceived software. There are already lenders who are discriminating against loan applications for homes with low EPC scores and this is the shape of things to come.

Comment

Apparently its the year that is the problem. Block and beam wasn't normal build practice at that time so no box to tick is provided for a non wooden suspended floor. There is an" unknown" box which I think would have been better ticked than a statement that the floor is solid when it isn't. If I want to sell the property their description will be false.

I've ignored the fact that one of the properties has shrank by 3 sq metres
        Mrs Dingle

Comment

I've just had a first EPC on a property I rent following a years renovation. The surveyor spent 15 mins in the house, lifted the l loft batch with a stick so he could just see the insulation at the edge of the hatch, wasn't interested in hearing about all the solid insulation and double plasterboard we had installed everywhere, tried arguing the outside wall was block despite being able to see in a patch under the stair that it was double brick.

Be interesting to see what his report says, they do seem to be a waste of paper, the argument is that if he can't see it he can't put it down, we have plenty of photos to show it. So if I hadn't added all this insulation and thousands of pounds spent then I would still have scored the same? Pointless.

Comment

You are right to be aggrieved. It is a very blunt tool and what is more different assessors mark harder than others. A big problem is that cost of energy is used as well as efficiency, hence electric and LPG is heavily marked down; oil heating is much filthier in terms of the environment but ironically garners higher score, cos its supposedly cheaper to run

Comment

Well I got my report after paying £144, as expected it states no wall insulation (assumed). Our brand new Combi boiler hot water output has also been rated 2 stars ("from main system, no cylinder thermostat" - that will be because there is no cylinder!) Main heating has been rated 3 stars.

Overall rating has been an E(50), we have written back pointing out they missed the Programmer for the heating and also while they cannot assume we have put insulation we did offer at the time to remove sockets so you could see it and we have an endoscope type camera which may be placed into the wall to show the insulation but the inspector wasn't interested. If I can get 5 more points at least it will take it to a D.

If you want to save money on loft insulation just place a roll of 400mm around the loft hatch, as all they do is lift the hatch a wee bit and if they see it then you will get 5 stars for it! Unbelievable.

Comment

I agree that the EPCs are scandalously amateurish.

Comment

I've just had an EPC done - you have to laugh at the suggestions for improvements!

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 14.36.31.png

75 years to get back the investment for floor insulation (which would benefit the tenant!) and 2 points on my EPC!

Luckily its a C so nothing needed but it does illustrate what a useless piece of paper this is.

Comment

An update on my EPC, we complained to the assessor about them stating there was no insulation the walls. I offered to remove electrical sockets and boxes to show him the insulation, drill a hole if needs be in the plasterboard and use an endoscope camera I have to show him the insulation. I also pointed out he had not mentioned teh programmable theormostat.

He agreed (without coming back) to change it to say the external walls included insulation and add the programmer. This lifted our rating from E(50) to D(61) which I think is going to be as good as I can get for now.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X