Thoughts on a new boiler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on a new boiler

Property has a gas boiler and it's about 25 years old and starting to fail from time to time (and make some deeply insettling noises).

Had it checked by a fitter I trust and he tells me it needs replacing. So fair enough, have to bite the bullet.

Before he quotes for the replacement, anyone with anything to suggest or warn me about (warning by PM as we're not really meant to criticise on the forum).

Does it have to be a condensing boiler (the one being replaced isn't so there's more work if it should be or has to be).

I know zero about gas boilers and don't want to be taken for a ride.
    When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
    Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Last year I've had Ideals (x3), a glow worm (on special offer) and a baxi. All fitted/recommended by different trusted plumbers in different areas.

Cost between £1300-£1950 fitted, with magnetic filters. Sort of mates rates but I didn't shop around or haggle.

I've had good experience with Worcester Bosch in the past but they are pricier.

I think the Ideals had 7 year warranty but they can be up to 12 years, depending on model. (I've used the warranty's a few times without quibble).

Comment

Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
      Does it have to be a condensing boiler (the one being replaced isn't so there's more work if it should be or has to be).
      Replaced 2 boilers in the last few years, both were about 25 years old. Wanted to put a combi boiler in the rental property, but there wasn't enough water pressure/flow rate. Both were changed to condensing boilers. The link gives the pros and cons of condensing boilers. Used BG to fit both, so won't bother giving you a price.

Since 2005 it has been mandatory to fit a condensing boiler.

https://www.greenmatch.co.uk/blog/20...ensing-boilers

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Mug View Post

won't bother giving you a price.
        Perhaps you should, to give JPK a more realistic idea.

Mine were all straightforward jobs, in very favourable conditions done by experienced blokes I've known very well for years.

Comment

I fitted a vokera a couple of months ago, 5 year warrenty, around £500 for the boiler, £450 fitted by local plumber. Vaillant have a longer warrenty (7 or 10 years) but considerably more expensive and needs to be fitted by them. I have a vaillant under warrenty and the repair service was good. Worcester bosch I had was unreliable and only lasted 10 years but perhaps I was unlucky. Whatever you choose is unlikely to last 25 years. I believe your epc will be better if you get a combi.

Comment

Originally posted by royw View Post
            around £500 for the boiler,
            That raises a very good point. Vokera boilers range from £450 to £1000+ depending on the output required.

I'm guessing JPK lives in a 10 bedroom grade 1 listed mansion, with servant quarters. That will need a lot bigger boiler than my 2 bed semis.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post

Perhaps you should, to give JPK a more realistic idea.

Mine were all straightforward jobs, in very favourable conditions done by experienced blokes I've known very well for years.

Ok, I'll give you last years price for the rental property. The price was to replace a back boiler and old gas fire. Fit a new electric fire and put a Vaillant boiler in a different room. Had a magnetic filter fitted and a power flush. After discounts, the price was £3568.

Comment

As already stated any new boiler will be a condensing boiler. Your choice is whether you have a combi boiler - giving you instant hot water all the time - or a standard boiler which heats water when asked for and stores it in your tank.

The pros & cons:

A combi boiler maybe a bit more expensive - you will need some pipework doing but you can take out the hot water tank which may give you usable space. Much more convenient for tenants to always have hot water available, however if you have problems with the boiler at some point you will lose heating AND hot water whereas if you still have your tank you can have hot water using the immersion heater. There are other considerations about type of shower you can have on each system - you need to ask a plumber.

I prefer combi boilers but an ordinary condensing boiler with a water tank is perfectly suitable - just bear in mind you may have the costs of replacing the immersion heater (they don't last for ever) or even the tank (!) at some point.

As to the model of boiler, if you intend for the installer to also service it, take their advice. Most have a preference and are 'experts' on that make which means they are really good at fixing it.

Also, make sure you have a magnetic filter added (maybe an additional £100) to keep the crud in your old radiators out of your new boiler (to extend its life) and if necessary look at replacing your radiators if they are really old. Although this makes the job more expensive, in the long term you may save because your boiler will last longer without the debris of the old system going through it.

As to the cost, depends on the size of the boiler needed to run your system - under capacity is a false economy - if your installer is a one-man operator he may not be VAT registered which will save you 20% & remember it is all offsettable against tax.

Good. luck

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
                  I'm guessing JPK lives in a 10 bedroom grade 1 listed mansion, with servant quarters. That will need a lot bigger boiler than my 2 bed semis
                  Obviously I don't heat the servant's quarters, so it's not as bad as it might be.

This is for a tenant, so it's a two bedroom semi.

Thanks for everyone's comments, it's really helpful!
                  When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
                  Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

Ideal logic+, its almost like this boiler was made for the rental market. If your not bothered by servicing and keeping the warranty alive then the ideal esprit eco2 is virtually the same boiler just with a 5yr warranty instead of 7/10.

Great hot water flow and highly rated by installers. I've got about 15 of these installed and very little issues with any of them, some are 6 or 7 years old at this point too.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X