Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bathroom Taps Etc

Hi

I am doing a refurb on a bathroom. I think I will be fitting Bristan Taps as they have longer guarantee and seem to have good feedback on quality.

So here's my dilemma, do I go with a nice modern looking set (having mixer tap with shower attachment too) or opt for one of the traditional contract style which are cheaper. My thoughts on this is that I wouldn't like contract style in my own home.

What I am concerned about is they need to be easy to repair if they start leaking (are the modern looking taps easy to repair?). I am 200 miles away and if I have a dripping tap, I would rather fix it myself when doing an inspection than getting a plumber out.

Opinions welcome.

Thanks
    Claymore

Just get some with glands you can buy at B&Q, IIWY.

https://www.diy.com/departments/plum....prd?rrec=true

You know tenants never remember to tell you about these things in advance, so you need generic fittings you can pick up when you're on site.

Comment

I would go for quality - spending a bit more now on decent taps should pay for itself in the long run. Overall it won't affect the price of your bathroom by much and as you say, will improve the look significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Just get some with glands you can buy at B&Q, IIWY.

https://www.diy.com/departments/plum....prd?rrec=true

You know tenants never remember to tell you about these things in advance, so you need generic fittings you can pick up when you're on site.

Sorry, JKO, not with you. Do you mean buy taps that have the gland fittings and replace glands when they start leaking?

Edit: Don't worry JKO, I have just been given a demonstration. I have a decent understanding now -;

Comment

Not commenting of tap type -- but I always buy duplicates of this kind of stuff especially where it will make subsequent fitting a whole lot easier and quicker where drilling holes and adjusting pipework can be avoided (the EU overlords do a great job of interfering with our lives, but not where it actually matters - like having drills holes for electric showers with standard spacing ..... I have never found a need to have an equi-sized banana though)

Different models of mixer taps never quite fit holes that have been drilled.

Comment

As an ex plumber try Swirl taps from Screwfix, they are cheap and head set replacements are about £10. A tip before installing put a little anti seize on each thread. Just changed my sons for him took all of 10 mins. On the bath fit a set of taps with union nuts on the top side so again will only take 10 mins to change. Single tap hole taps can be a pain as the tap can start to turn in the hole, so I prefer 2 hole basins.

Comment

That reminds me, get some of these for securing the taps: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Essex-Orang...8Q6GQZZWY7EFJB

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X