Expired EPC for existing tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expired EPC for existing tenants

The EPC Certificate we have for an existing tenancy has now expired. Does this mean we need a new one, given the requirement for properties to meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards from April next year?

I wouldn't sweat it IIWY. AFAIK, you only need one when the tenancy starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceejay5 View Post
      Does this mean we need a new one, given the requirement for properties to meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards from April next year?
      I believe only if
      1. your current EPC says it is below the minimum, or
      2. you enter in to a new tenancy agreement.

Comment

To be honest, unless it's difficult, you may as well get one done.
        Standards have changed in the last 10 years.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You may want to get one done now because SAP calculations maybe changing next year to SAP 10 which is probably more stringent. There was talk of them changing this year but I have not heard any developments.

Comment

You only need an EPC when you are marketing the property.

Comment

as from next april an EPC is required for ALL lettings, anything granted for more than 6 months and less than 99 years, so I would recommend anyone who has not got one for all of their lettings with a score of at least an E to get on with it. You will otherwise be liable for a fine for non compliance and have your name published on a sin bin website! The only loopholes are where you cannot get access, tenants will not give access, or refuse works to improve/test or if your letting is a listing building and it would irreversibly damage the fabric of the building to improve energy efficiency, but even then you will need an expert report and apply for exemption on the Gvt website. There have now been 19 million residential EPCs carried out, I notice from recent lodgement statistics

Comment

I have just succeeded in registering an exemption. Our tenant in her 80s has refused to allow access to implement any of the energy saving measures recommended notwithstanding that we explained that the work would be at no cost to her The dwelling with solid walls, single glazed sashes and no insulation, and electric fires in rooms scored a low G, practically the lowest EPC score possible a mark of 1 point, yes one out of a hundred, for the gas water heater!. Hey ho. You can lead a horse to water...…...

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  At £70 per week, it's £31 per week cheaper than the house next door which is at least a D on the EPC and is very nicely done out. Social housing is £78 to £84 per week but they all have central heating, gas boiler with instant hot water etc whereas we do not.

The original LL inherited...
                  16-02-2020, 08:00 AM
                • EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  What will happen if assured tenants are still paying a landlord rent for a house with an EPC rated as an F on 1 April 2020? As assured tenants can't be evicted using a Section 21 order and the landlord can't legally rent out a sub-standard house after 1 April is the landlord prevented from evicting...
                  02-01-2020, 16:55 PM
                • Reply to Stroma won't allow my EPC's to state the correct floor
                  by ATC
                  You are right to be aggrieved. It is a very blunt tool and what is more different assessors mark harder than others. A big problem is that cost of energy is used as well as efficiency, hence electric and LPG is heavily marked down; oil heating is much filthier in terms of the environment but ironically...
                  15-02-2020, 17:59 PM
                • Stroma won't allow my EPC's to state the correct floor
                  by Mrs Dingle
                  Just had my EPC's done and they say the ground floors are solid with no insulation recommending floor insulation at a cost of £4,000 to £6,000.. They were built in 1990 with block and beam suspended floors with 25mm polystyrene on top then membrane then 18mm chipboard. So definately not solid. They...
                  10-02-2020, 18:40 PM
                • Reply to Thoughts on a new boiler
                  by dazwalsh
                  Ideal logic+, its almost like this boiler was made for the rental market. If your not bothered by servicing and keeping the warranty alive then the ideal esprit eco2 is virtually the same boiler just with a 5yr warranty instead of 7/10.

Great hot water flow and highly rated by installers....
                  15-02-2020, 12:20 PM
                • Thoughts on a new boiler
                  by jpkeates
                  Property has a gas boiler and it's about 25 years old and starting to fail from time to time (and make some deeply insettling noises).

Had it checked by a fitter I trust and he tells me it needs replacing. So fair enough, have to bite the bullet.

Before he quotes for the replacement,...
                  07-02-2020, 14:30 PM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by flyingfreehold
                  This is quite a fascinating case and Ive ruminated at length on what to suggest. I think your best line to take is as seems to be the case that the tenancy as an assured tenancy which gives you security of tenure subject to paying the rent agreed or determined for the tenancy. There is a right to apply...
                  15-02-2020, 12:03 PM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  That's an interesting question - how much is a house worth in rent when it's banned from being let at all on 1 April? How do I go about gathering evidence of what the rent should be? Bear in mind the rent has not gone up since 2010, there's no central heating, the DG is blown, the kitchen is well...the...
                  15-02-2020, 08:43 AM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by jpkeates
                  If you involve the local authority and they serve improvement notices, it sounds as though they'd be serious enough to close the door to section 21 (at least until 6 months after they were satisfied).
                  And the landlord doesn't seem to know what they're doing, so there's also the issue of getting...
                  14-02-2020, 13:24 PM
                • Reply to EPC deadline
                  by Snakey
                  Yeah it doesn't seem at all simple and we can't afford to lose a court case.

Yes you are right on that point. I did recently take a photo of the fungus growing on the living room side of our front door lol (both doors are rotted) and the over 30 year old worktops that really...
                  14-02-2020, 13:06 PM
                Working...
                X