Expired EPC for existing tenants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expired EPC for existing tenants

The EPC Certificate we have for an existing tenancy has now expired. Does this mean we need a new one, given the requirement for properties to meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards from April next year?

I wouldn't sweat it IIWY. AFAIK, you only need one when the tenancy starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Ceejay5 View Post
      Does this mean we need a new one, given the requirement for properties to meet the Minimum Energy Efficiency Standards from April next year?
      I believe only if
      1. your current EPC says it is below the minimum, or
      2. you enter in to a new tenancy agreement.

Comment

To be honest, unless it's difficult, you may as well get one done.
        Standards have changed in the last 10 years.
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

Comment

You may want to get one done now because SAP calculations maybe changing next year to SAP 10 which is probably more stringent. There was talk of them changing this year but I have not heard any developments.

Comment

You only need an EPC when you are marketing the property.

Comment

as from next april an EPC is required for ALL lettings, anything granted for more than 6 months and less than 99 years, so I would recommend anyone who has not got one for all of their lettings with a score of at least an E to get on with it. You will otherwise be liable for a fine for non compliance and have your name published on a sin bin website! The only loopholes are where you cannot get access, tenants will not give access, or refuse works to improve/test or if your letting is a listing building and it would irreversibly damage the fabric of the building to improve energy efficiency, but even then you will need an expert report and apply for exemption on the Gvt website. There have now been 19 million residential EPCs carried out, I notice from recent lodgement statistics

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X