Burst water pipe in garden

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Burst water pipe in garden

    My rental property has a burst fresh water pipe in the garden and the water is flooding out.

    The pipe goes from the stop tap on the public pavement and through the row of terraced houses's gardens.

    United Utilities tells me that all the houses are responsible for contributing to the repairs.

    Can anyone tell me where I can find this in legislation?

    Thanks.

    #2
    Doesn't actually specify the underlying legislation, but see https://www.ofwat.gov.uk/households/.../supply-pipes/

    Comment


      #3
      On a quick skim of https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukia/...0130253_en.pdf it is probably Water Supply (Water Fittings) Regulations 1999 (as amended).

      The policy is due for review next year.

      Comment


        #4
        If Ofwat say that that's how it works, that's probably definitive.

        Where there is a shared connection to the mains. the responsibility lies with anyone "tap-side" of the leak.
        So, if the pipe connects to the water main and then connects to properties 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, running across the gardens of each property (for this example 1 to 5 in sequence) and the pipe bursts in 3's garden before the pipe splits for 3's supply, the cost is the responsibility of 3, 4 and 5.

        This might make more sense than my explanation:
        https://www.stwater.co.uk/help-and-c...at-my-property
        When I post, I am expressing an opinion - feel free to disagree, I have been wrong before.
        Please don't act on my suggestions without checking with a grown-up (ideally some kind of expert).

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by jpkeates View Post
          If Ofwat say that that's how it works, that's probably definitive.

          Where there is a shared connection to the mains. the responsibility lies with anyone "tap-side" of the leak.
          So, if the pipe connects to the water main and then connects to properties 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5, running across the gardens of each property (for this example 1 to 5 in sequence) and the pipe bursts in 3's garden before the pipe splits for 3's supply, the cost is the responsibility of 3, 4 and 5.

          This might make more sense than my explanation:
          https://www.stwater.co.uk/help-and-c...at-my-property
          Thanks for that.

          Tap side there are 7 properties and I'm in no 6. No 7 has a conservatory over the water main. I really hope the leak isn't under their conservatory and coming out in my garden .

          Comment


            #6
            If this is lead pipe then time to go plastic - chances are leak will appear in another place next week.



            Freedom at the point of zero............

            Comment


              #7
              Just curious - if the leak is under a conservatory or extension built after the pipe was laid - is the additional cost the responsibility of that home owner or is it shared?

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by royw View Post
                Just curious - if the leak is under a conservatory or extension built after the pipe was laid - is the additional cost the responsibility of that home owner or is it shared?
                As far as I can make out, the repair on the pipe is the only cost to be shared between the neighbours. I'm concerned about the conservatory though and wonder what checks are needed to be done by the builder before putting up and extension or conservatory. I had no idea the water supply pipe ran along the garden and it's not mentioned anywhere in my purchasing paperwork.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                  If this is lead pipe then time to go plastic - chances are leak will appear in another place next week.
                  Yes, this is my concern. I could have my supply direct to my house but the shared pipe would still be going through my garden and flooding it leaving me to sort it all out again.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by royw View Post
                    if the leak or pipe is under a conservatory or extension built after the pipe was laid - is the additional cost the responsibility of that home owner or is it shared?
                    The person who built the extension will be liable for the cost of of digging up the foundation that the freeholder did not put there.

                    Comment

                    Latest Activity

                    Collapse

                    Working...
                    X