EPC and selling without low energy lighting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC and selling without low energy lighting

According to the EPC that I have just had done, our house has five stars for the low energy lighting in fixed outlets.

As far as I am concerned, the light bulbs belong to me.

Am I right in thinking that when I sell the property I can if I want remove the low energy light bulbs and either leave no bulbs or as a courtesy replace them with ordinary bulbs? Or as a consequence of the EPC would a buyer be expecting the lower energy bulbs to be left in situ?

Yeah, of course you can remove them. (I even do it for ones I'm letting, as I know tenants are too tight to replace with low energy ones.)

Comment

Choice of bulbs is a personal matter for owner of property, not the government, and as you will no longer own the property when it's sold, then not your problem.
      Also, I can see no law that compels use of florescent tubes, as that is what a low energy bulb is, folded over a few times to keep the required minimum length to operate, and sufficient luminosity to be worth while.

An EPC describes how you operated your home. New owners can operate it in a different way, as is their choice to maintain, or neglect.

Comment

Thank you. Since posting I have uncovered some facts.

Having spoken with an EPC professional, I gather that an EPC is only valid as at the date of the inspection for the EPC (ie, the date on the EPC). Therefore, if a buyer were concerned that the property might not command the same rating then before exchange of contracts the buyer should commission another EPC as a check.

So if I remove the low energy lights and replace them with ordinary bulbs that's perfectly in order - provided of course the buyer is informed of the alteration to what the buyer sees before exchange of contracts.

Comment

1) Forget worrying about light bulbs, they are NOT important at all !

2a ) Just state light bulbs not included in sale, But adequate lighting will be provided on transfer.
          2b) these are a personal choice for the new owners".-- SIMPLE.
          ( type, wattage, normal, florescent low power usage, spot light, heat lamp, candle holder with choice of one or more candles, chandelier with bulbs or candles, perspex box of fire flies. )

3) Worry more about if the gutters are full of dead leaves, moss, grass. If Drains have reduced in size with 50 years of fat. etc, etc, etc.

4) Forget about your light bulbs, no one cares about light bulbs when they buy a house, and I refer you to number 2b )

Q.E.D.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            Yeah, of course you can remove them. (I even do it for ones I'm letting, as I know tenants are too tight to replace with low energy ones.)
            And landlords like you are too tight to leave them? Pack of six £15.49 from Amazon. Who can afford them most- you or your tenants?
            No wonder Landlords are generally viewed as unpleasant greedy people. Presumably you also do not care about the environment and your legacy to the younger generations?
            Shame on you as you are giving us all a bad name.
            What do you do with the ones you remove by the way? Sell them to your mates or car boot sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Richardo View Post

And landlords like you are too tight to leave them? Pack of six £15.49 from Amazon. Who can afford them most- you or your tenants?
              No wonder Landlords are generally viewed as unpleasant greedy people. Presumably you also do not care about the environment and your legacy to the younger generations?
              Shame on you as you are giving us all a bad name.
              What do you do with the ones you remove by the way? Sell them to your mates or car boot sale?
              I knew someone would bite.

No, I install the bulbs for the EPC, then take them home to to use there. Maybe you think I should discard the existing working incandescent bulbs to replace with energy saving ones? That's not caring of the environment either.

Comment

Originally posted by Richardo View Post
                Presumably you also do not care about the environment and your legacy to the younger generations?
                Please don't take offence, as following are just my views, observations and food for thought.

I have REAL light bulbs in property and especially in my own home.
                I want for myself and a disabled relative, bulbs that give instant max wattage / luminosity a bulb is capable of, and NOT a bulb that takes 2 to 3 minutes to get to it's full brightness.

I hate so called "Energy saving" lightbulbs, as they are weak at start up.
                There are no "Energy saving" bulbs in my ancestral home, nor the property I rent ( I rent that property from a landlord in U.K. ). I want instant 60w/100w brightness ( original bulbs with the wire in ) and not the feeble start up "Energy saving" bulbs.
                I don't want these bulbs.I want instant light / power, and for safety reasons, such as to the basement where there is no natural light.

I have a 7.5 litre car engine or two, as that is MY choice if I want instant power. My other cars are minimum of 2000cc and 40 m.p.g. ( 8.8 Miles Per Litre ) on long runs.

To those who cry about the environment,
                are they going to stop using their electric, if it comes from coal fired plant = no.
                Are they going to stop using their cars that pollute, or planes, diesel electric trains = no

The UK consumed 14.2 million tonnes of coal in 2017, including 8.7 million tonnes in power stations, 3.2 million tonnes in the steel industry and 1.5 million tonnes in other industry. And has to import two thirds of that.

Are the younger generations going to do their part ? by not buying mobile phones that produce harmful products in their manufacture, and same when they throw their batteries away.
                Or buying goods that are manufactured only in the U.K. instead of from China / japan, which use cargo ships that belch out diesel / burnt oil to get them here over thousands of miles.
                Not charging phones when electricity comes from coal ? No they are not.

Are people going to write to China and ask them to stop opening more coal fired power stations ? and will China listen ? and if they don't listen ( why should they ) what are you going to do ? Invade ? regime change ? War ? - or tell them to cut down trees instead of using coal and oil fired stations ? which will deplete the oxygen supply.

Changing to solar or other forms that eco warriors demand, costs money, which the U.K. does not have.
                The U.K. is bankrupt. We owe more money now, than before we joined the E.U. ( So much for the " EU will make us prosperous - lies, all lies )

We have only just finished paying off the U.K. 2nd world war loans 13 years ago.
                "On 31 December 2006, Britain made a final payment of about $83m (£45.5m) and thereby discharged the last of its war loans from the US. By the end of World War II Britain had amassed an immense debt of £21 billion.)

And now, the Government wanted to give the E.U. £ 40 billion to leave the E.U.
                THAT would take us 142 years to pay back, as it took 71 years to pay back £ 21 billion.

Where do we get those two amounts from ? £ 21 billion and £ 40 billion; we borrow it of course, and pay millions a week to pay back the loan with interest,

Want to save the planet ?,
                The U.K. has no money to do so.
                And china wont.

Comment

Current generation low energy bulbs are LED based and probably light up faster than "real" bulbs. (The actually light source can probably come to full brightness in microseconds, or less, although the the power supply may require a few half cycles of the mains. "real" bulbs take time for the filament to come to temperature.)

Comment

Early low energy lamps based on CFL technology did put many off the idea of saving money and energy replacing incandescent (real) lamps, but as you say the LED lamps perform better than these (real) lamps. Incandescent lamps' output degrades over time and they eventually fail, especially if moved or impacted. But at the end of the day it's all about one's personal views towards change and how best to treat one's tenants. Happy tenants = happy landlords in my 20 years experience of renting out properties.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                    X