EPC: C by 2030...prepare

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC: C by 2030...prepare

Anyone with a property unlikely to make a C by 2030, might want to get one before the end of 2019. Assuming you can scrape a 'D' now, you then can let your property freely for the next ten years.

'But what happens in 2030, JK0?' you ask.

Well then, your 2019 EPC will have expired, and there will be no way of proving that your property is not a 'C'. You can continue to let it until your existing tenant moves out, and do any upgrades then.

Have they announced the target then? Can see it coming regardless.

No drama here, B88

Comment

Mines only an E and has everything done that's reasonable, double glazing, condensing boiler, trvs, programmers etc, loft insulation, led lighting.
      the only thing left is internal or external insulation, big bucks!
      Solid walled semi built 1903 with a cellar.

Comment

Moy, have you got any open fires left? Put a fire basket & some logs in there, and you may get some points for 'biomass secondary heating'.

Comment

There is a wood burner stove in the lounge, 10 KW iirc . I don't recall it mentioned in the EPC report ,I'll have to dig the report out and look. The EPC was done prior to us buying the house 2 years ago (the house that is) the EPC expires early next year. The dining room has an open fireplace but is capped off at the stack.
          all other chimneys are covered up and capped off too.

Comment

Originally posted by Moy View Post
            There is a wood burner stove in the lounge, 10 KW iirc . I don't recall it mentioned in the EPC report ,I'll have to dig the report out and look. The EPC was done prior to us buying the house 2 years ago (the house that is) the EPC expires early next year. The dining room has an open fireplace but is capped off at the stack.
            all other chimneys are covered up and capped off too.
            Dont need to dig it out, you can search by Postcode here https://www.epcregister.com/reportSe...yPostcode.html

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Moy View Post
                Thank you.
                No problem.

You can also use the postcode search to check our the ratings of neighbouring properties to see how they sit etc... Its quite interesting! (But then I am a bit of an eco geek, and also reside/post on a number of eco building/passivehaus websites)

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
                  JK0
                  I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
                  25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
                • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
                  JK0
                  Oh, that's an interesting explanation Blinko. You mean that the flat is big enough for three people, so the energy cost mentioned on the EPC is per person? That's a bit mad though, isn't it? ...
                  26-06-2019, 18:24 PM
                  blinko
                  I don't forget these things are theoretical so a one bedroom flat might theoretically in a calculation terms be two people where is reality could be one for two bedroom it could be two adults and two small children
                  26-06-2019, 18:19 PM
                  JK0
                  Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
                  25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
                  sam_cat
                  Get a second opinion?
                  Seems crazy, it should be as simple as them putting some numbers into their program and it gives the result...

You can use postcode search on the EPC site to view neighbouring properties, have a look at what neighbours have had.
                  https://www.epcregister...
                  25-06-2019, 12:19 PM
                • Problems with Re-roof
                  mgt
                  I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
                  18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
                • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
                  bluebonnie
                  Beware the effect these "modern" tiles may have on the roof timbers.

We had a similar job passed off on the roof of a let property some years ago: welsh slates replaced with concrete tiles, invisible from ground level because of an intervening parapet concealing the "london...
                  23-06-2019, 21:37 PM
                  mgt
                  TBF this agent is pretty good, but agree tradesmen do seem to think rental properties merit a lesser job, although they often tell me 'most landlords don't want to spend too much'. In this case the problem is that I never for a moment considered any reputable contractor would do anything other than...
                  20-06-2019, 14:06 PM
                  AlexR
                  I have found that tradespeople, and to a degree Agents, view any work to be done on a tenanted property as a job to be done as cheaply as possible. It's probably because most landlords just want to fix the house and get it let as quickly and cheaply as possible. I imagine there is quite a difference...
                  20-06-2019, 09:12 AM
                  mgt
                  The quote said 'strip defective roof tiles..new tiles to be laid style and colour to be agreed', which is why I didn't question it, and I didn't agree to anything - but the work was being done at distance through an agent. It mentioned a number of differences eg in the ridge tiles, use of plastic verges...
                  20-06-2019, 04:40 AM
                Working...
                X