Improving Walls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving Walls

I have a chimney breast which needs re-plastering.
    The plasterer who was supposed to be doing it has not turned up.
    I may try to do it myself.
    In France they have a brilliant product called "Crepe" which is pure white and you put it on walls with a plasterers trowel.
    The reason its brilliant is that when it has set you can sand it smooth with an orbital sander and it leaves the wall perfectly smooth and being pure white the finish looks like the wall is whit marble and of course does not need painting. i.e once sanded the jobs finished.
    My question is, can you get something similar to "Crepe" in the UK and who makes or sells it, Please.

There are a couple of U Tube vids of similar but it does not seem available in the UK.

Sanding anything over a large area creates a lot of dust and mess - I'd go for the plasterer everytime.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Could you board it out? I plastered a chimney breast - oh yes I did! - and it was a lot easier that I thought. I sanded it then wallpapered it and it's fab In another room I used that ready mixed stuff that you cover artex with and that worked well too.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
        JK0
        I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
        25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
      • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
        JK0
        Oh, that's an interesting explanation Blinko. You mean that the flat is big enough for three people, so the energy cost mentioned on the EPC is per person? That's a bit mad though, isn't it? ...
        26-06-2019, 18:24 PM
        blinko
        I don't forget these things are theoretical so a one bedroom flat might theoretically in a calculation terms be two people where is reality could be one for two bedroom it could be two adults and two small children
        26-06-2019, 18:19 PM
        JK0
        Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
        25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
        sam_cat
        Get a second opinion?
        Seems crazy, it should be as simple as them putting some numbers into their program and it gives the result...

You can use postcode search on the EPC site to view neighbouring properties, have a look at what neighbours have had.
        https://www.epcregister...
        25-06-2019, 12:19 PM
      • Problems with Re-roof
        mgt
        I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
        18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
      • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
        bluebonnie
        Beware the effect these "modern" tiles may have on the roof timbers.

We had a similar job passed off on the roof of a let property some years ago: welsh slates replaced with concrete tiles, invisible from ground level because of an intervening parapet concealing the "london...
        23-06-2019, 21:37 PM
        mgt
        TBF this agent is pretty good, but agree tradesmen do seem to think rental properties merit a lesser job, although they often tell me 'most landlords don't want to spend too much'. In this case the problem is that I never for a moment considered any reputable contractor would do anything other than...
        20-06-2019, 14:06 PM
        AlexR
        I have found that tradespeople, and to a degree Agents, view any work to be done on a tenanted property as a job to be done as cheaply as possible. It's probably because most landlords just want to fix the house and get it let as quickly and cheaply as possible. I imagine there is quite a difference...
        20-06-2019, 09:12 AM
        mgt
        The quote said 'strip defective roof tiles..new tiles to be laid style and colour to be agreed', which is why I didn't question it, and I didn't agree to anything - but the work was being done at distance through an agent. It mentioned a number of differences eg in the ridge tiles, use of plastic verges...
        20-06-2019, 04:40 AM
      Working...
      X