Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint won't stick to plasterboard joints

Re-decorating a new flat for the first time is proving difficult:

The old emulsion is 'rolling up' on my roller when I find a plasterboard joint. I then have to stop work, and try to fill the jagged hole with filler, and delay finishing a further day. My uncle suggested painting the whole place with exterior stabilising solution, but that seems rather expensive, and a lot of work.

Any ideas?

Have you considered taping the joints? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEi50yaqRo

Comment

Not sure I understand. Presumably they were taped when the place was built.

Comment

Indoor paint sprayer? At least you won't be pulling the old paint off with a roller.

They can be a bit tricky though and you have to mask carefully to avoid overspray.

My LL used one recently and it did a decent job on pretty large plasterboard walls.

https://paintsprayermag.com/best-indoor-paint-sprayers/

Comment

[QUOTE=JK0;n1060

I then have to stop work, and try to fill the jagged hole with filler[/QUOTE]

Do you mean that a hole appears where a plasterboard screw or nail was previously because the roller action and stickiness of the paint has pulled it off? If so yes I have come across this - try thinning the emulusion slightly or painting the joint lines carefully with a brush and rollering after. Yes it is all time!

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post

Do you mean that a hole appears where a plasterboard screw or nail was previously because the roller action and stickiness of the paint has pulled it off? If so yes I have come across this - try thinning the emulusion slightly or painting the joint lines carefully with a brush and rollering after. Yes it is all time!
            Thanks Interlaken. No, not just where a screw or nail was. I get a jagged vertical strip of paint maybe 2" wide unrolling where the joint compound is.

I think maybe Nukecad is onto something when he mentions spraying. I think the whole place must have been sprayed, as it's all white, and presumably there was no problem with the joints previously.

Comment

My LL took up the carpet (we were getting a new one anyway), masked off the window glass, the fire surround, the radiator, the electrical sockets and switches.
              And then just sprayed everything else white - including the skirtings, door, and window frames.

It was a decent job overall, but I did have to scrape spotting off the glass and clean the brass fittings once it had dried.

Pity the back wall was/is damp and showed through the new paint after a week or two. rofl.gif

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
                Not sure I understand. Presumably they were taped when the place was built.
                Possibly- depends how good a job they did. Sounds like if it was done it wasnt done properly as you shouldnt be getting jagged holes if it was taped, sounds more like poor quality filler.

Comment

I've taken a picture to show you what I'm encountering. This latest bit lifted below the bit I patched up on Saturday when I tried to repaint the wall:

Comment

That doesnt look like a join,looks more like the surface of the plasterboard is tearing off and possibly the paint not holding because there is a damp problem. But that's beyond my knowledge level.However if you find a forum for plasterers and ask their advice they may be willing to tell you what the problem is and what a trade would charge to fix it.

Comment

On looking at the picture it appears that someone has painted straight onto the plasterboard whereas I thought usually the plasterboard has a plaster skim over it , and then the plaster is painted. I would ask the builder, previous owner or even the plasterboard supplier for their take on the situation.

Comment

Thanks Alex. Oh, well the place is 17 years old, and I've had it for 11 years. Just the first time I've got round to painting it.

Comment

What skinflint developers allowing that - agree the skim coat is missing. What about papering with lining paper all the walls or those worst affected? Hell - what a job

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Strip back, seize the boards, paper, paint.

Big job, but at least from the look of things you'll have no problem stripping the old stuff off.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                            X