Improving EPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Improving EPC

I am in the process of buying an old terraced house with the intention of renting it out.
    The EPC is dreadful "G" which means I cant rent it out until its improved.
    I could do with suggestions as to how to improve the EPC.
    Although I believe that the loft has since had insulation that only takes it to an "F" according to the EPC

I may not be able to de Cavity Wall Insulation as the property is perhaps 100 years old and the walls may not have a cavity.

The house has a cellar so I may be able to insulate the floor from underneath.

In addition as the house has high ceilings I may be able to put Insulation on top of the existing floor with new floorboards on top, or with this am I wasting my time.

I know an identical house two doors away has a EPC of "D" so it must be achievable.

I believe if I go in the loft I can see the underneath of the tiles, I could insulate between the rafters etc.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

You should be aware that EPC assessors are awkward about recognising improvements that they can't see.

Thus loft insulation is a good idea, as is a new boiler & energy saving bulbs. Maybe ask neighbour what they had done, and who their assessor is.

Comment

Originally posted by Always Problems View Post
      I could do with suggestions as to how to improve the EPC...............

I know an identical house two doors away has a EPC of "D" so it must be achievable.

Thanks
      I have a corner terraced house with 3 outside walls. The house was damp with mould on some walls and tenants were complaining of the cold. It was rated as an F. I decided to upgrade the house

I undertook a comprehensive insulation upgrade and refit which included insulated plasterboard on outside walls, Celotex insulation in attic room, underfloor insulation to ground floor. I installed a new condensing boiler, new radiators and it had full double glazed units.
      The EPC was a computerised tick box exercise - low energy light bulbs - tick, thermostatic radiator valves - tick etc. I persuaded the assessor to accept that I had installed insulation by asking the builder to write and confirm insulation installed and passed information to assessor.
      The EPC moved to a D and I was surprised that it wasn't higher and so I phoned the EPC directly and spoke to an evaluator who said that it is basically a computer programme which decides the rating and that the absolute maximum I could expect for an old house with 3 outside walls would be a C.

I agree with JKO and by following his advice you should get up to a D at far less a cost than I spent. Fixing the chimney flashings and gutters have a massive impact if the house is damp but does not reflect in the EPC.

Comment

I'm a big user of Celertex on external walls, re-board, plaster and replace skirtings. Yes it is not cheap but tenants do tend to stay put as the bills are low. If you have a cellar then insulating under the above floor is a must. Take pics as you go and have them ready for the assessor to see and for future use.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

I took pictures of insulation at the previous flat I renovated. EPC assessor was still unwilling to take them into account.

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            I took pictures of insulation at the previous flat I renovated. EPC assessor was still unwilling to take them into account.
            I've never found that JKO and used a few different ones now.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

EPC Surveyors must work to a fixed list which gives the points achieved when they see certain features on the inside of buildings, where could one get a copy of the list to compare what a particular property has and see what one can do to improve it.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
              X