EPC obligations as from April 2020 - now is the time to get started!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EPC obligations as from April 2020 - now is the time to get started!

My researches are that an EPC will be required for all lettings, not just those at present, and that includes the old dears and their successors remaining under the Rent Act 1977, assured, assured periodic and all the other oddities of tenure that will be likely to exist in an older mature portfolio. If your tenant declines an offer of a modern boiler/double glazing/ loft insulation/ modern LED bulbs get him/her to do so in writing which will entitle the landlord to obtain up to five years exemption, as I understand it. But we are starting on the list already because those older properties will typically be the most challenging, plenty of solid walls and stoic tenants of the old school. It is my experience that there is a degree of resistence to requests for access for such energy improvements. One lady would not have central heating and likes her ancient and long since discontinued Raeburn (even though parts are ever more difficult for us to find). The EPC assessor was prepared to do some surveying without recording the result on the EPC register until we had followed sufficient of the recommendations to arrive at a score with which we were satisfied and made us a very fair deal for a two visit test with the second one scored and registered. I would recommend finding an assessor with whom a rapport can be built so that, as with, in the old days a friendly MOT inspector you car would not be failed if one 12v bulb had blown and easily replaced at the end of the test.

Hi, What does anybody know of the obligations on landlords beyond April 2020, with regards to improving the EPC rating to a D then a C in rental properties. Has anything been laid down in law. Is there a timetable for such?

Regards

Comment

EPC C by 2030 according to ARLA article quoted on this website.

Comment

I have a question - I sadly feel I will know the answer!

Is there any off setting from a tax perspective if you now improve the property - say you weren't a landlord during the years that the government offered the tax relief to get EPC up to scratch ? Can you class this as ' repairs'? What about Solar panels - ???

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

Ash

Comment

single to double glazing yes because there's no other alternative these days so HMRC guidance says that's allowable. But solar panels no because that's an improvement (if you don't currently have any) and they'll be a capital expense you offset against CGT when you sell.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
            JK0
            I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
            25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
          • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
            JK0
            Oh, that's an interesting explanation Blinko. You mean that the flat is big enough for three people, so the energy cost mentioned on the EPC is per person? That's a bit mad though, isn't it? ...
            26-06-2019, 18:24 PM
            blinko
            I don't forget these things are theoretical so a one bedroom flat might theoretically in a calculation terms be two people where is reality could be one for two bedroom it could be two adults and two small children
            26-06-2019, 18:19 PM
            JK0
            Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
            25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
            sam_cat
            Get a second opinion?
            Seems crazy, it should be as simple as them putting some numbers into their program and it gives the result...

You can use postcode search on the EPC site to view neighbouring properties, have a look at what neighbours have had.
            https://www.epcregister...
            25-06-2019, 12:19 PM
          • Problems with Re-roof
            mgt
            I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
            18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
          • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
            bluebonnie
            Beware the effect these "modern" tiles may have on the roof timbers.

We had a similar job passed off on the roof of a let property some years ago: welsh slates replaced with concrete tiles, invisible from ground level because of an intervening parapet concealing the "london...
            23-06-2019, 21:37 PM
            mgt
            TBF this agent is pretty good, but agree tradesmen do seem to think rental properties merit a lesser job, although they often tell me 'most landlords don't want to spend too much'. In this case the problem is that I never for a moment considered any reputable contractor would do anything other than...
            20-06-2019, 14:06 PM
            AlexR
            I have found that tradespeople, and to a degree Agents, view any work to be done on a tenanted property as a job to be done as cheaply as possible. It's probably because most landlords just want to fix the house and get it let as quickly and cheaply as possible. I imagine there is quite a difference...
            20-06-2019, 09:12 AM
            mgt
            The quote said 'strip defective roof tiles..new tiles to be laid style and colour to be agreed', which is why I didn't question it, and I didn't agree to anything - but the work was being done at distance through an agent. It mentioned a number of differences eg in the ridge tiles, use of plastic verges...
            20-06-2019, 04:40 AM
          Working...
          X