Condensation dealing wall

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Condensation dealing wall

This is linked to a previous post regarding use of sealants for external wall.
    I have now been told it could increase problems with condensation in the flat. Anyone experience this ? Victorian random stone converted to flats. If so any possible solutions ? Advice appreciated.

Does anyone know somebody with experience or able to give advice ?

Comment

The external wall is a barrier and if you seal it you may trap moisture inside the wall and potentially the building. A Victorian house was designed in a different way to modern houses with air vents in walls,chimneys for open fires in many rooms and was built using lime mortar, which is porous. The house was intended to be well ventilated when first built.

If you are having condensation problems in the flat I would look at two other areas . Firstly do you have any leaks into the flat - from above, gutters, broken drainpipes or leaking pipes, washing machines etc. Secondly look at tenants lifestyle - do they cook pasta rice without lids, dry washing indoors, allow adequate heating and ventilation etc.

Comment

Thank you for your helpful and informative post. We have been assured that the modern sealants we are looking at are breathable. Therefore water could escape. It will be cheaper and simpler than replacing the cement mortar pointing , well maintained, which we have.
        There have been small instances of penetrating damp. It is a Victorian building.
        The leaseholder of the first floor flat is demanding the freeloader pays to tank the walls of his flat.
        Any comments on the situation are welcome.

Comment

Personally I wouldn't use modern methods on an old building. It might last a few years but isn't a long term solution. The problem may be the cement mortar which needs replacing with lime mortar with which the property was originally built. Also modern wallpapers and paint are not ideal on the interior as it stops the breathability of the wall, trapping moisture.

Comment

Thank you. I completely agree. A difficulty is getting a majority to agree a course of action. Personally, I also think tanking would not be classed as a repair and therefore not a service charge expense. There is no lease provision for anything other than repair and maintain.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X