New Kitchen / Bathroom - London Flat

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Kitchen / Bathroom - London Flat

I have what could be a nice flat by the river in London. My (good) tenant says he may be moving out in the new year after 5 years. he has been offered a new kitchen in the past as it desperately needs updating (all the appliances are on their last legs). Bathrooms could do with updating and furniture is all looking old too. He does not want new anything as does not want the disruption, but when he moves out, the work will need to be done. Its a modern flat with a tiny kitchen and it currently has a dishwasher, which means next to no cupboard space.

He reckons it would be better off without a dishwasher altogether. I want to maximise the value for rent so want to put a good quality kitchen in, anyone got any experience of Wren Kitchens? Other recommendations. I live 300 miles away do I need someone to just come in and do it. Do you think a flat like this would be better off with or without a dishwasher?

When it comes to bathroom, again, any recommendations? I just need someone design and do it. However it all needs to be done at a reasonable cost while giving a good finish.

thanks

N

Dishwasher is worth its weight in gold. Most professional tenants (assuming that's what you're aiming for) would expect one.

I would redesign the kitchen, incorporate a slimline dishwasher and use any clever tricks to maximise space.

Wren - great marketing company. Kitchen will cost a small fortune, however we can give you a super huge discount on it if you buy today...

I'd suggest that your biggest cost here is to minimise the void period when the current tenant moves out. If you're 300 miles away, you need to get a reliable local kitchen and bathroom fitter who can design it and then install it. The fitter can then source the units (most use Howdens). All without delay, so you can let it out asap.

If you try to do bits yourself, like design it or source the units or appliances, yes you may save a few hundred quid here or there but you'll extend the void period.

Whereabouts near the river is it? I might be able to give recommendations depending on where it is.

Comment

Most builders/ fitters will have trade accounts with Magnet, howdens, B&Q, to name just a few, most offer free planning service, so you just need to vet the right people, there's no point putting in an expensive kitchen/bathroom just to find that the finish of the trades person aren't good. You should either manage the work or get someone to manage on your behalf so it's done right, and don't leave it for the builders/fitters to make all the decisions on your behalf, you really would be asking for trouble, especially since you've never worked with them before.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• WD40 or Zinsser?
        JK0
        I'm just about to start redecorating the flat where I've been working on the bathrooms. I notice my tenant's daughters have done a lot of drawing on the walls. What's the best thing to do about this? Scrub each bit with WD40, or paint over the drawing with Zinsser?
        04-12-2018, 21:20 PM
      • Reply to WD40 or Zinsser?
        Jon66
        However, now having used it, be careful that it comes out the correct colour. Although it was 'colour matched' in reality it came up a couple of shades darker, not helped by a differently lit room, but was remedied by Brewers adding more white, which was better for the second coat! I suspect this is...
        14-12-2018, 19:13 PM
      • German hobs
        JK0
        I think I just made an expensive mistake. I ordered a nice 2nd hand Miele hob from this ebay store in Germany. Looking more closely at it, the lead has a plug with 11(!) connections in it, and I can't see any controls on the hob itself. I get the impression that hobs in German homes have a separate...
        Follow kochfeldhandel on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!
        14-12-2018, 12:57 PM
        Jon66
        Brewers, or Johnstones will mix perma white to your required colour providing its an off white like magnolia or ivory. Just had it colour matched to subtle ivory at Brewers.
        13-12-2018, 00:48 AM
      • Tenants don't understand E7
        JK0
        Not sure there is any solution to this problem, but maybe someone will have a suggestion:

Most of my rental properties are on Economy 7 heating. There is a timeswitch in the airing cupboard controlling the immersion heaters. The lower one is meant to be used overnight, with the upper one...
        03-02-2015, 21:05 PM
      • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
        Accidental_LI_LL
        I think your problem lies with the fact the majority of people who are clued up enough to understand the things would probably avoid renting a property that had them.... The result being you end up with people who will never understand more than the £££ on their electricity bill - they'll panic when...
        12-12-2018, 22:14 PM
        Accidental_LI_LL
        I wouldn't be keen on using wd40, Can see it easily soaking into plaster leaving you needing to use stain block before repainting

If you're redecorating hit it with sandpaper then paint?
        12-12-2018, 20:34 PM
        leaseholder64
        The solvent in WD40 will probably work on spirit marker pens, but graphite and clay don't dissolve. If the surface will take it, a vinyl eraser is probably best for ordinary pencil.
        07-12-2018, 01:00 AM
        JK0
        Ah, tried WD40 on a small area of pencil today. Strangely it did nothing. Will sugar soap all the walls, and then use Zinsser BIN.

BTW, last year I bought some Magnolia tinted Zinsser Perma-White to paint a kitchen walls. This no longer seems to be around. I can only find white Perma-White....
        07-12-2018, 00:22 AM
      • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
        JK0
        I just got back from one of my properties where I replaced the hob for my tenant of 6 years. The place was virtually steaming, it was so hot in there. I had to keep mopping my brow. This place has weather sensitive storage heaters, and is also on SSE's flexiheat tariff. This gives them a two hour boost...
        05-12-2018, 13:57 PM
      Working...
      X