Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting a smart meter removed

Hi fellow landlords,

My tenant had a smart meter fitted shortly before leaving, which I was not contacted about and did not consent to. I'm now wanting it removed, and judging by my research this is very difficult.

I'd like to hear from anyone that has successfully removed theirs, and what they did?

I should also note that I don't wish for this to turn into a debate about smart meters. At the time of posting this thread smart meters in the UK are not mandatory, and I do not wish to have one - it is quite that simply.

Many thanks in advance for any useful information.

Oh, I wouldn't want one in my home either. (I'm electro-sensitive, and even a mobile phone gives me a headache.)

I have allowed one or two to be installed in my rentals, as it makes life easier for the utilities to read meters when tenants aren't in. I think you will have a real struggle to get rid of one once it's installed though.

If I had to move into one of those, I would purchase a new non-smart meter, and employ an electric company employee to install it. Then I would get him to notify his employer of the readings and the serial no. of the new meter.

I'm guessing this would cost several hundred pounds. Is it worth bothering with for a rental, given that next tenant might allow it to be changed back again?

Comment

Just ask the company to turn off the smart functions.

They will do so if asked leaving a 'dumb' meter.
      (That often happens anyway if you switch provider, the new provider can't access the smart functions).

Most cpmpanies, not all, will replace it altogether if you insist.
      But supplies of old type meters are running out as manufactures have switched production to smart meters.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/as...d-smart-meter/

Comment

I had one put into a HMO, I didn't really want it and asked the fitter if I could unplug it as I didn't want the tenants to know the cost of the gas and elec. He said yes and I unplugged it.

Comment

You've still got a smart meter. The display part is not the main part of the system. You've basically got rid of the least controversial part of the system and left all the bits that are causing concerns.

As you are not allowed to charge the tenants more than the cost of electricity, I'm not sure why you would want to hide it.

Comment

As the bills are in my name and my responsibility they're not really anything to do with the tenants. From that they can work out how much I make (or lose) from the property as they can also find out the water, CT, Tv licence etc. and I'd just rather they didn't know.

Comment

The aim of providing the display unit is to encourage people to be aware of their energy usage. Not providing it to the tenant goes against public policy and would also seem to result in them having no incentive to keep your electricity costs down. If they really want to hit you in the pocket by ramping up your costs, they don't need the smart meter display to do that.

In any case, most of the concerns relate to the information that half hourly readings give to the electricity company, and the possible future introduction of time dependent tariffs, neither of which are affected by removing the display.

Comment

The tenants in a HMO have no incentive to keep the bills down anyway as they are included in the rent. In a different property I do have the meter on show but it makes no difference - windows are still left open with the heating on full blast. If the bills get too high I'll have to put the rents up.

Comment

To the OP - as someone previously said, one solution is to change providers. Most smart meters are "locked" to the supplier that installed them, so they become "dumb" with another supplier.

It's not ideal, but might be a workaround if the original supplier won't change the meter back.

Additionally, you could get a quote on the cost to change back and then hit the outgoing tenants with a deposit deduction charge for it (assuming the tenancy agreement had a strong enough clause to protect you).

Comment

Whether or not it is actually legal, that would go against two items of public policy:

1) that tenants must have the right to choose their own supplier;

2) that smart meters be introduced to encourage energy efficiency.

Expect remedial legislation if a test case succeeds.

Comment

Originally posted by security2 View Post
                      To the OP - as someone previously said, one solution is to change providers. Most smart meters are "locked" to the supplier that installed them, so they become "dumb" with another supplier.

It's not ideal, but might be a workaround if the original supplier won't change the meter back.
                      You probably don't have to change supplier - Once you tell your current supplier to make it dumb or you will change suppliers they will be round in a flash to change it.

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                        You probably don't have to change supplier - Once you tell your current supplier to make it dumb or you will change suppliers they will be round in a flash to change it.
                        Would you trust your supplier to make it dumb?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• WD40 or Zinsser?
                          JK0
                          I'm just about to start redecorating the flat where I've been working on the bathrooms. I notice my tenant's daughters have done a lot of drawing on the walls. What's the best thing to do about this? Scrub each bit with WD40, or paint over the drawing with Zinsser?
                          04-12-2018, 21:20 PM
                        • Reply to WD40 or Zinsser?
                          Jon66
                          However, now having used it, be careful that it comes out the correct colour. Although it was 'colour matched' in reality it came up a couple of shades darker, not helped by a differently lit room, but was remedied by Brewers adding more white, which was better for the second coat! I suspect this is...
                          14-12-2018, 19:13 PM
                        • German hobs
                          JK0
                          I think I just made an expensive mistake. I ordered a nice 2nd hand Miele hob from this ebay store in Germany. Looking more closely at it, the lead has a plug with 11(!) connections in it, and I can't see any controls on the hob itself. I get the impression that hobs in German homes have a separate...
                          Follow kochfeldhandel on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!
                          14-12-2018, 12:57 PM
                          Jon66
                          Brewers, or Johnstones will mix perma white to your required colour providing its an off white like magnolia or ivory. Just had it colour matched to subtle ivory at Brewers.
                          13-12-2018, 00:48 AM
                        • Tenants don't understand E7
                          JK0
                          Not sure there is any solution to this problem, but maybe someone will have a suggestion:

Most of my rental properties are on Economy 7 heating. There is a timeswitch in the airing cupboard controlling the immersion heaters. The lower one is meant to be used overnight, with the upper one...
                          03-02-2015, 21:05 PM
                        • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
                          Accidental_LI_LL
                          I think your problem lies with the fact the majority of people who are clued up enough to understand the things would probably avoid renting a property that had them.... The result being you end up with people who will never understand more than the £££ on their electricity bill - they'll panic when...
                          12-12-2018, 22:14 PM
                          Accidental_LI_LL
                          I wouldn't be keen on using wd40, Can see it easily soaking into plaster leaving you needing to use stain block before repainting

If you're redecorating hit it with sandpaper then paint?
                          12-12-2018, 20:34 PM
                          leaseholder64
                          The solvent in WD40 will probably work on spirit marker pens, but graphite and clay don't dissolve. If the surface will take it, a vinyl eraser is probably best for ordinary pencil.
                          07-12-2018, 01:00 AM
                          JK0
                          Ah, tried WD40 on a small area of pencil today. Strangely it did nothing. Will sugar soap all the walls, and then use Zinsser BIN.

BTW, last year I bought some Magnolia tinted Zinsser Perma-White to paint a kitchen walls. This no longer seems to be around. I can only find white Perma-White....
                          07-12-2018, 00:22 AM
                        • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
                          JK0
                          I just got back from one of my properties where I replaced the hob for my tenant of 6 years. The place was virtually steaming, it was so hot in there. I had to keep mopping my brow. This place has weather sensitive storage heaters, and is also on SSE's flexiheat tariff. This gives them a two hour boost...
                          05-12-2018, 13:57 PM
                        Working...
                        X