X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JK0
    started a topic More builder's bungles to repair

More builder's bungles to repair

Recently the tenant moved out of my first BTL flat here in Reading after a nine year tenancy. It was thick with curry grease which I am gradually removing. On the surface, the bathroom looked in good shape. However I noticed the tiles on the plywood(!) bath panel were coming loose, so stripped these off today. Also, unfortunately the pipe boxing was also plywood, and the tiles similarly loose.

I was really shocked to see the plumbing below though. On the left is the side of a back to the wall wc pan. Can you see the angle of the 1.25" pipe where it goes into the pan connector? No, it was not watertight for either basin water or wc water.
    WTF!
    Attached Files

• JK0
    replied
    I thought you guys might be interested to see how I modify trickle vents, to avoid mouldy flats:

I cut two bits of UPVC to fit below the fastenings. Thus the trickle vent can never be completely closed.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Finished grouting at last today. The spray bottle you can see in the picture is the Kerapoxy cleaner. This is sprayed over the grout to emulsify it slightly so you can remove the excess. It's pricey though, at £18 a bottle!

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Finished piecing in the salvage green tiles at the bottom today. These have a 2mm spacer between them now, so I can get a reasonable amount of grout in.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Started replacing the white tiles with 6x6 cheapies today.

Leave a comment:

• Lots on
    replied
    Leaving aside the financial working out of this project, I do sympathise with JK0 and his difficulty in finding reliable, competent and honest tradesmen. I recently had to have a shower leak investigated, repaired and the damage to the floor made good. After asking around some other tradespeople, who could not take it on and due to time pressures, I had to go with the agents’ tradespeople, who wanted £2500 up front before starting any work. I have also repeatedly been let down by people who disappear while on the job, or botch things up, or do sub par work whose defects appear in the months/ year’s afterwards. I know I’m not alone here. If you have good, reliable and available tradespeople ten consider yourself very lucky. It is my number one stress as a landlord, well ahead of dealing with tenants. So if I had the skills, I’d be very tempted to do the work myself.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    On Thursday I installed the cement board, taped the joints with glass fibre mesh, & mudded them with waterproof tile adhesive.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I installed the noggins for the new cement board today. It was quite difficult fastening this to the steel studs. I had to use a small strip of 4mm by 25mm batten to fur out.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I'll refer you to my old thread again.

Builders are such swindlers

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...such-swindlers
    The builders I've known for decades aren't swindlers (at least, they aren't with me).
    And the blokes they've known for decades aren't.
    And the blokes they've known for decades who they've known for decades aren't...etc.

I've also never been asked for 75% payment in advance.

Thinking about it, I've never been asked for any payment in advance.
    At least, not for a long, long, time.

And to be brutally honest, my blokes would do a better job than you, purely 'cos they do it day in, day out.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

No.

Let's do the maths.
    At the speed you are working, you will be lucky to get it done and let out before Christmas.
    That will be a 10 month void.
    10x £1100 = £11K
    Plus your time.
    Working 9 hours a week at minimum wage = £3K
    £14K total.
    You could have it done three times for that without lifting a finger.

And in 20-30 years time it will look as dated as those avocado bathroom suites that were once all the rage.
    And there will be advances in technology that we can't dream of. We'll laugh and say things like;
    "Remember when we had to wipe our own backside? And with paper!"
    "And we used to bathe in water instead of self drying recyclable steam -then flush the lot down the plughole, gallons and gallons of precious water just thrown away!"

From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense. You must be doing it for the enjoyment (now't wrong with that, just saying).

I'll refer you to my old thread again.

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...such-swindlers

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    You're not going to like this suggestion, but have you considered using quality showerboard on that bit instead of faffing about tiling?
    You could have it done this month and let out before Christmas.

Leave a comment:

• boletus
    replied
    Originally posted by JK0 View Post

I think I've mentioned that I've found all builders to be 'bodge it and scarper' merchants. If I had this work done by builders, it would indeed need doing again every ten years. Likely to be while a tenant is in place also, and how annoying would that be?

I intend this renovation to be the last time I have to do it. I'm now 53, and just about have the energy to do it. I doubt I will at 63 or 73, so I am doing it properly now.

Really it's only costing me the materials, plus about £1100 a month in lost rent/ council tax. I have only spent about £10 on replacement tiles, as I cleaned off the old ones.

Isn't that a better bargain than paying builders to do it three times with three involuntary voids?
    No.

Let's do the maths.
    At the speed you are working, you will be lucky to get it done and let out before Christmas.
    That will be a 10 month void.
    10x £1100 = £11K
    Plus your time.
    Working 9 hours a week at minimum wage = £3K
    £14K total.
    You could have it done three times for that without lifting a finger.

And in 20-30 years time it will look as dated as those avocado bathroom suites that were once all the rage.
    And there will be advances in technology that we can't dream of. We'll laugh and say things like;
    "Remember when we had to wipe our own backside? And with paper!"
    "And we used to bathe in water instead of self drying recyclable steam -then flush the lot down the plughole, gallons and gallons of precious water just thrown away!"

From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense. You must be doing it for the enjoyment (now't wrong with that, just saying).

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Improved photos:

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    I still can't get that shower cubicle apart without breaking stuff, so I'm going to leave it in place and just change the bottom 3ft of plasterboard.

This was an interesting day. I've been smashing the white tiles in the hope of saving those nice turquoise ones. Seemed to go okay. Looks like I did the right thing, as one of the bottom tiles had mould under it.

Leave a comment:

• JK0
    replied
    Nah, nothing controversial as far as I recall. I think it's an over zealous spam filter that does not like me editing a reply to my own thread.

Leave a comment:

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
X