More builder's bungles to repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by boletus View Post

    Agree, it looks very good, nice job mate.

    But....



    More importantly, how long wasn't it bleedin' earning for you? This thread started in March!
    (I ruddy well hope you had major works council tax exemption.)

    I've had 3 bathrooms done with trades this year alone. Managing, labouring and generally dogsbodying them myself. All finished and new tenants moved in within a month. Probably not to the perfection yours might be but still decent quality and good for at least another 10 years. Even thinking of doing another next month but a bit worried about cutting it fine for a Christmas void.

    It might not seem it, but for every time I post disagreeing with you, there will have been five posts I find myself nodding along in agreement.

    I just can't understand your reasoning on this. Please could you enlighten.
    I think I've mentioned that I've found all builders to be 'bodge it and scarper' merchants. If I had this work done by builders, it would indeed need doing again every ten years. Likely to be while a tenant is in place also, and how annoying would that be?

    I intend this renovation to be the last time I have to do it. I'm now 53, and just about have the energy to do it. I doubt I will at 63 or 73, so I am doing it properly now.

    Really it's only costing me the materials, plus about £1100 a month in lost rent/ council tax. I have only spent about £10 on replacement tiles, as I cleaned off the old ones.

    Isn't that a better bargain than paying builders to do it three times with three involuntary voids?

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
      I also think the screws are under the black plastic caps. One of ours is similar - it's Lakes make.
      Thanks guys. Nope. Nothing there except I now know how it was attached...

      The wall plate was screwed to the wall, and then the screen was heavily siliconed before pushing it over the wall plate. What a bodge, eh?

      However, this seems to be how it was intended to be done, so it is impossible to get it off without breaking stuff.

      Reply to Boletus may appear above when moderator approves my post.

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by JK0 View Post
        Reply to Boletus may appear above when moderator approves my post.
        It has been waiting for approval for some days now, I'm assuming you have pushed the LLZ T&C's right to the limit and they are seeking legal advice. I can only speculate what might be the infringement(s);

        Not to post any of the following: defamatory, discriminatory, libellous, illegal, racist, threatening, harassing, abusive, obscene or objectionable material, rumours, unsubstantiated facts
        Even if you've only tested the limits on half of those, I'm looking forward to one hell of a post!

        (I hope it's not a selfie of you in your new bath.)

        Comment


          #64
          Nah, nothing controversial as far as I recall. I think it's an over zealous spam filter that does not like me editing a reply to my own thread.

          Comment


            #65
            I still can't get that shower cubicle apart without breaking stuff, so I'm going to leave it in place and just change the bottom 3ft of plasterboard.

            This was an interesting day. I've been smashing the white tiles in the hope of saving those nice turquoise ones. Seemed to go okay. Looks like I did the right thing, as one of the bottom tiles had mould under it.

            Comment


              #66
              Improved photos:

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by JK0 View Post

                I think I've mentioned that I've found all builders to be 'bodge it and scarper' merchants. If I had this work done by builders, it would indeed need doing again every ten years. Likely to be while a tenant is in place also, and how annoying would that be?

                I intend this renovation to be the last time I have to do it. I'm now 53, and just about have the energy to do it. I doubt I will at 63 or 73, so I am doing it properly now.

                Really it's only costing me the materials, plus about £1100 a month in lost rent/ council tax. I have only spent about £10 on replacement tiles, as I cleaned off the old ones.

                Isn't that a better bargain than paying builders to do it three times with three involuntary voids?
                No.

                Let's do the maths.
                At the speed you are working, you will be lucky to get it done and let out before Christmas.
                That will be a 10 month void.
                10x £1100 = £11K
                Plus your time.
                Working 9 hours a week at minimum wage = £3K
                £14K total.
                You could have it done three times for that without lifting a finger.

                And in 20-30 years time it will look as dated as those avocado bathroom suites that were once all the rage.
                And there will be advances in technology that we can't dream of. We'll laugh and say things like;
                "Remember when we had to wipe our own backside? And with paper!"
                "And we used to bathe in water instead of self drying recyclable steam -then flush the lot down the plughole, gallons and gallons of precious water just thrown away!"

                From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense. You must be doing it for the enjoyment (now't wrong with that, just saying).



                Comment


                  #68
                  You're not going to like this suggestion, but have you considered using quality showerboard on that bit instead of faffing about tiling?
                  You could have it done this month and let out before Christmas.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Originally posted by boletus View Post

                    No.

                    Let's do the maths.
                    At the speed you are working, you will be lucky to get it done and let out before Christmas.
                    That will be a 10 month void.
                    10x £1100 = £11K
                    Plus your time.
                    Working 9 hours a week at minimum wage = £3K
                    £14K total.
                    You could have it done three times for that without lifting a finger.

                    And in 20-30 years time it will look as dated as those avocado bathroom suites that were once all the rage.
                    And there will be advances in technology that we can't dream of. We'll laugh and say things like;
                    "Remember when we had to wipe our own backside? And with paper!"
                    "And we used to bathe in water instead of self drying recyclable steam -then flush the lot down the plughole, gallons and gallons of precious water just thrown away!"

                    From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense. You must be doing it for the enjoyment (now't wrong with that, just saying).


                    I'll refer you to my old thread again.

                    https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...such-swindlers

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by JK0 View Post

                      I'll refer you to my old thread again.

                      Builders are such swindlers

                      https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...such-swindlers
                      The builders I've known for decades aren't swindlers (at least, they aren't with me).
                      And the blokes they've known for decades aren't.
                      And the blokes they've known for decades who they've known for decades aren't...etc.

                      I've also never been asked for 75% payment in advance.

                      Thinking about it, I've never been asked for any payment in advance.
                      At least, not for a long, long, time.

                      And to be brutally honest, my blokes would do a better job than you, purely 'cos they do it day in, day out.

                      Comment


                        #71
                        I installed the noggins for the new cement board today. It was quite difficult fastening this to the steel studs. I had to use a small strip of 4mm by 25mm batten to fur out.

                        Comment

                        Latest Activity

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X