More builder's bungles to repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The other day I siliconed round my inspection hatch, and today I grouted the bath panel with epoxy grout. I'd forgotten what hard work it is.

Comment

Does anyone know how to disassemble this shower cubicle? I can see no fasteners anywhere.

Comment

They are behind the clip on trim strips JKO.

Comment

Originally posted by boletus View Post
          They are behind the clip on trim strips JKO.
          Thanks Boletus. I tried to remove what I thought were trim strips yesterday, but they don't seem to move either.

Comment

Bit hard to tell from those photos.

Looks like black plastic caps on the uprights, if so they should prise out to access the top-rail fixings.

The quarter-round moulding at the corner look like it should come off as well to reveal fixings, but may take quite a bit of force or judicious levering at the 'points'.

Once you have the corner(s) undone/removed the doors should slide out, but may also have stops on the other end to undo before they will come out.

Comment

Looking again, is that a manufacturers sticker at the top of the glass panel.

Take a look online for that manufacturer/ enclosure model and you may well find the installation instructions.

Comment

I also think the screws are under the black plastic caps. One of ours is similar - it's Lakes make.

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Just got the framing for the last bit of boxing installed today:

Comment

I have used up all my scrap cement board from the other bathroom:

Comment

Here's the cement board installed. I have not yet added the fibreglass tape that you need to cover the joints with.

Comment

Tiles back in place.

Comment

I got the last bit of epoxy grouting done in the main bathroom today. This stuff goes off so fast. I had to throw away about £2 worth of grout, that would have done for the other bathroom if I was quick enough.

Comment

That does look vey good JKO. How many man hours went into that?

Freedom at the point of zero............

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                              That does look vey good JKO. How many man hours went into that?
                              Thanks Interlaken. I dread to think.

I normally work on my flats about 9 hours a week. September was spent in Torquay, and recovering from it, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Interlaken View Post
                                That does look vey good JKO.
                                Agree, it looks very good, nice job mate.

But....

How many man hours went into that?
                                More importantly, how long wasn't it bleedin' earning for you? This thread started in March!
                                (I ruddy well hope you had major works council tax exemption.)

I've had 3 bathrooms done with trades this year alone. Managing, labouring and generally dogsbodying them myself. All finished and new tenants moved in within a month. Probably not to the perfection yours might be but still decent quality and good for at least another 10 years. Even thinking of doing another next month but a bit worried about cutting it fine for a Christmas void.

It might not seem it, but for every time I post disagreeing with you, there will have been five posts I find myself nodding along in agreement.

I just can't understand your reasoning on this. Please could you enlighten.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New EPC is nonsense
                                  JK0
                                  I don't know whether to be happy or sad about the recent EPC I've received. I bet mine's the only flat in England with storage heaters scoring a B!

My tenant who was there for nine years used about 4000 day units and 4000 night units per year. In the year I have been pottering around repairing...
                                  25-06-2019, 11:47 AM
                                • Reply to New EPC is nonsense
                                  dazwalsh
                                  In my experience, half the tenants dont know what an EPC is, the other half couldn't give a monkeys.
                                  04-07-2019, 22:25 PM
                                • Problems with Re-roof
                                  mgt
                                  I own a Victorian terrace BTL which had a knackered slate roof. I accepted an estimate from a contractor recommended by the managing agent for a re-roof. The estimate drew attention to a number of changes eg a dry, maintenance free joint on the ridge tiles, use of substitute lead flashing. The work...
                                  18-06-2019, 04:36 AM
                                • Reply to Problems with Re-roof
                                  Interlaken
                                  Does anyone roof in Welsh slate these days except mainly on listed buildings? I have had experience of Chinese slate in the 1980's ( irregular thickness) and synthetic slate which is pretty good IMO. Marley moderns are heavy and do check out your joists but the closed ridge system that can be fitted...
                                  03-07-2019, 10:48 AM
                                  buzzard1994
                                  Many years since I reroofed a slate roof - but I used artificial slate then, Welsh slate was ridiculously expensive and therefore only likely to used for listed buildings. The old slates certainly had value. If the tiles are too heavy and the roof needs to be stripped fibre cement slates are light.and...
                                  01-07-2019, 21:56 PM
                                  tlangdon12
                                  I wanted to write something more about how to remedy the situation:

Best approach to remedying the situation is likely to be get the structural report done asap, if the tiles are too heavy, negotiate with the contractor to strip the roof and install the correct slates. I expect you will...
                                  30-06-2019, 18:41 PM
                                  tlangdon12
                                  Bluebonnie's warning is important and useful. If the roof isn't strong enough for the new tiles, you probably have a claim against the roofing contractor under the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982. As this requires the goods to be fit for their purpose AND the service to be done with reasonable...
                                  30-06-2019, 18:23 PM
                                  JK0
                                  Oh, that's an interesting explanation Blinko. You mean that the flat is big enough for three people, so the energy cost mentioned on the EPC is per person? That's a bit mad though, isn't it? ...
                                  26-06-2019, 18:24 PM
                                  blinko
                                  I don't forget these things are theoretical so a one bedroom flat might theoretically in a calculation terms be two people where is reality could be one for two bedroom it could be two adults and two small children
                                  26-06-2019, 18:19 PM
                                  JK0
                                  Thanks Sam. That is interesting. Even two neighbours on my landing with gas heating only manage a C.

I think I'll just have to tell prospective tenants that the EPC is a load of coblers, and to take the three year cost to be one year.
                                  25-06-2019, 19:32 PM
                                Working...
                                X