More builder's bungles to repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More builder's bungles to repair

Recently the tenant moved out of my first BTL flat here in Reading after a nine year tenancy. It was thick with curry grease which I am gradually removing. On the surface, the bathroom looked in good shape. However I noticed the tiles on the plywood(!) bath panel were coming loose, so stripped these off today. Also, unfortunately the pipe boxing was also plywood, and the tiles similarly loose.

I was really shocked to see the plumbing below though. On the left is the side of a back to the wall wc pan. Can you see the angle of the 1.25" pipe where it goes into the pan connector? No, it was not watertight for either basin water or wc water.
    WTF!
    Attached Files

Wow, thats lazy!

Easy enough to fix, but seriously lazy builder/DIY'er.

Comment

Thanks Sam. Worse still there are five further floors of flats above mine built by the same firm. I think I know why the bathroom ceiling is always damp now.

Comment

I know this isn't really your query, thought I would mention, back in the early 90s I moved into a shared house, the kitchen was thick with grease. I tried all the regular cleaners on it and finally washing powder which was the only thing that stripped it.

Comment

Thanks Shearne.

Comment

Crikey, what a palaver this has been, and still not resolved now. I disconnected the three(!) pan connectors that were joined together behind the wc to get to this continental toilet, and replaced with a single flexi pan connector. Then of course I have the problem of how to join the 1.25" pipe to the horizontal soil stub. I bought one of these things from Amazon:

41SpbbeuwIL._SX425_.jpg

The instructions surprisingly are very poor. The diagram says you need to cut a circular hole of 63mm but with flat sides 50mm apart.

That's rather difficult when drilling into a circular soil pipe! I bought a spare piece to practice on today, and found I could just get the thing in a circular 57mm hole.

However, the item I received has about a 3" threaded section, so sticks up too high in the boxing to allow any fall on the basin pipe.

I just ordered one of these things from Ebay which I hope may do the trick:

s-l500.jpg

Comment

Husbands words!- " you can get pan connectors with waste bosses built in and the clamp on boss is what is commonly used."

Comment

Thanks Moy. Yeah I know you can get a pan connector with the waste boss built in. Just that they are all at the pan end. Hence the abortion of an arrangement in my post #1 picture.

The white clamp on boss is what I have now ordered.

Comment

What my husband has done before now is use his blowtorch to gently heat the waste pipe and bend it slightly and hold until it cools. It takes a bit of practice he says but new pipe is cheap to practice on!
                  he says that angle could be achieved in your pic using the existing pan connectors and just used new cheap pipe.
                  Not suitable for on show work though because the pipe gets scorched a bit although it's hardly noticeable on black pipe. I remember him doing it on our bathroom refit in 2001. No issues thus far.

Comment

Thanks Moy. Those pan connectors went in the bin a fortnight ago. I can't tell you how disgusting they were. There were so many fitted together that they sagged and leaked.

Comment

Finished at last. You can see that to get a suitable fall for the basin waste pipe, I have had to drill holes in the framing of my boxing. What a palaver!

Comment

You can see that white clip on boss here:

Comment

Not sure about that corrugated/flexible thing.

Looks like a future problem in the making?

Comment

Originally posted by nukecad View Post
                            Not sure about that corrugated/flexible thing.

Looks like a future problem in the making?
                            I know what you mean. I did not trust them when they first appeared. However, I have never had one leak or get blocked, touch wood. They are pretty vital with these back to the wall wc's in my view. If you use a conventional pan connector, you can never be 100% sure they are properly sealed to the stub. With flexi's, you can make sure the connections are secure before you push the pan into place.

Comment

I assume that there is sleeving inside and the corrugations are support.

Still?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• WD40 or Zinsser?
                                JK0
                                I'm just about to start redecorating the flat where I've been working on the bathrooms. I notice my tenant's daughters have done a lot of drawing on the walls. What's the best thing to do about this? Scrub each bit with WD40, or paint over the drawing with Zinsser?
                                04-12-2018, 21:20 PM
                              • Reply to WD40 or Zinsser?
                                Jon66
                                However, now having used it, be careful that it comes out the correct colour. Although it was 'colour matched' in reality it came up a couple of shades darker, not helped by a differently lit room, but was remedied by Brewers adding more white, which was better for the second coat! I suspect this is...
                                14-12-2018, 19:13 PM
                              • German hobs
                                JK0
                                I think I just made an expensive mistake. I ordered a nice 2nd hand Miele hob from this ebay store in Germany. Looking more closely at it, the lead has a plug with 11(!) connections in it, and I can't see any controls on the hob itself. I get the impression that hobs in German homes have a separate...
                                Follow kochfeldhandel on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!
                                14-12-2018, 12:57 PM
                                Jon66
                                Brewers, or Johnstones will mix perma white to your required colour providing its an off white like magnolia or ivory. Just had it colour matched to subtle ivory at Brewers.
                                13-12-2018, 00:48 AM
                              • Tenants don't understand E7
                                JK0
                                Not sure there is any solution to this problem, but maybe someone will have a suggestion:

Most of my rental properties are on Economy 7 heating. There is a timeswitch in the airing cupboard controlling the immersion heaters. The lower one is meant to be used overnight, with the upper one...
                                03-02-2015, 21:05 PM
                              • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
                                Accidental_LI_LL
                                I think your problem lies with the fact the majority of people who are clued up enough to understand the things would probably avoid renting a property that had them.... The result being you end up with people who will never understand more than the £££ on their electricity bill - they'll panic when...
                                12-12-2018, 22:14 PM
                                Accidental_LI_LL
                                I wouldn't be keen on using wd40, Can see it easily soaking into plaster leaving you needing to use stain block before repainting

If you're redecorating hit it with sandpaper then paint?
                                12-12-2018, 20:34 PM
                                leaseholder64
                                The solvent in WD40 will probably work on spirit marker pens, but graphite and clay don't dissolve. If the surface will take it, a vinyl eraser is probably best for ordinary pencil.
                                07-12-2018, 01:00 AM
                                JK0
                                Ah, tried WD40 on a small area of pencil today. Strangely it did nothing. Will sugar soap all the walls, and then use Zinsser BIN.

BTW, last year I bought some Magnolia tinted Zinsser Perma-White to paint a kitchen walls. This no longer seems to be around. I can only find white Perma-White....
                                07-12-2018, 00:22 AM
                              • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
                                JK0
                                I just got back from one of my properties where I replaced the hob for my tenant of 6 years. The place was virtually steaming, it was so hot in there. I had to keep mopping my brow. This place has weather sensitive storage heaters, and is also on SSE's flexiheat tariff. This gives them a two hour boost...
                                05-12-2018, 13:57 PM
                              Working...
                              X