• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Epc

I ran an HMO with 4 rooms
    The EPC is F
    The tenants have only positive things to say about me as a landlord
    Can i continue to re let the rooms out with an F rating?

From 1 April 2018, all new tenancy must have a minimum level of performance indicator of band E. New tenancy includes any extension or renewal of fixed term, and the deemed granting of statutory periodic tenancy. In the case of SPT, you can have a 6 months temporary exemption on registration for one on the PRS Exemptions Register. There's also exemption if you have made all available relevant energy efficiency improvements to the property within the last five years (again registration required).
    I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

When was your EPC carried out? What is the actual reading itself, as some simple changes such as draft proofing windows and doors or fitting a jacket to an immersion tank may get you the required rating. I too had a rating of F, I booked in an assessor to carry out a new report initially my rating didn't improve to the required E, however talking it through I realised that both the new and old assessor had assumed that I had an extension. Once this was rectified it increased to the E rating.
      Some assessors will offer a service where they show you what changes you can make at what cost and how many points the increase will be by and then come back and carry out a final assessment once any changes have been made for one fee.

An E rating is between
      E 39-54 SAP points
      Improvement Rating can be improved by Estimated Savings
      Condensing Boiler *47 SAP points £225+ per year
      Cavity Insulation *13 SAP points £100-£125 per year
      Roof Insulation *10 SAP points £100-£125 per year
      Cylinder Stat & Insulation *8 SAP points £100-£125 per year
      Double Glazing *4 SAP points £10-£15 per year
      Low Energy Lighting *2 SAP points £10-£15 per year

Comment

So advise them that they all either need to sign a 5 year tenancy agreement this month (and surrender their current tenancy) or go onto SPT and get evicted.

Politicians don't care that some people are perfectly happy to live as they wish to live and at the price they wish to pay -- they don't like happy.

Comment

'SAP points'

sap/
          noun North American informal

noun: sap; plural noun: saps
          • a foolish and gullible person.
            "He fell for it! What a sap!"

Comment

Unfortunately I feel that we are the SAPs having to pay for a certificates which are often not fit for purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewDod View Post
              So advise them that they all either need to sign a 5 year tenancy agreement this month (and surrender their current tenancy) or go onto SPT and get evicted.
              Apply to all tenancies from 1 April 2020.
              I am not a lawyer, nor am I licensed to provide any regulated advice. None of my posts should be treated as legal or financial advice.

Comment

Thank you for your replies

I'm sure a lot of landlords will be getting caught out by these changes

1. Who will be inspecting/ checking the EPCs are E+?
                2. Is there a fine for being caught out?
                3. Will it effect S21 evictions?

Comment

1. The local authority, and "an enforcement authority must enforce compliance with the requirements of this Part in relation to properties in its area."

2. A financial penalty of up to £2,000 for a breach of up to 3 months, £4,000 for a breach of more than 3 months, stacking to no more than £5,000. And a publication penalty of at least 12 months on the PRS Exemptions Register that you have been in breach.

3. No.

Comment

I seem to remember that if you are letting the rooms individually, with individual tenancy agreements, then you do not need an EPC at all. If everyone is on the same tenancy agreement, you do need an EPC.

Comment

[[citation needed]]

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X