• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renovation work: 2-bedroom flat

I received the following quotation for work needing to be carried out:

1. New Carpet bedroom 1,2, Living room and hallway
    2. New Vinyl kitchen and bathroom

3. Painting bedroom 1, Living room hallway kitchen and bathroom.

4.Investigate and repair bedroom 1 heater

5. Investigate and repair hot water in the shower

6. Repair kitchen fridge

Material Cost = 650 £

Labourer Job = 850 £

Total Cost = 1500 £

First, I would expect any quotation to be itemised. Is such an expectation odd or unusual? Second, it's strange to me that the sum is so exact, a "very convenient" total of 1,500 pounds, as though the person quoting has named his figure first and then listed the items that the figure covers. If I were working out the cost of a job, I'd be surprised if the cost of materials totalled exactly 650.00. Maybe 622.90 or 669.50 or 612.00 or ... but an exact figure like this?? Or if I didn't know the exact cost of materials, I'd say "between x and y".

Also, I would state my labour charge and the number of hours I expected the work to take.

This is a two-bedroom flat. Is the charge itself low, high or .....?

Thanks.

Originally posted by popotla View Post

This is a two-bedroom flat. Is the charge itself low, high or .....?

Thanks.
    You're asking us to price up a job for a property that we'll never see and you don't even say what part of the country it is. You could spend £1500 on item 1 alone.

Get another one or two quotes and compare.
    "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

They've given you an estimate more than a quote but it's a 'how long is a piece of string' as mentioned above. If you don't like the figure, reject it.

Comment

So you can price a job precisely can you? Any job is likely to come across a problem and cost/ take longer than estimated eg items 4-6. Reject the estimate if you feel it is too High.
        Are you a T?

Comment

You had a high and oddly rounded quote for a tap last year, are you getting these estimates via the agency and not off the trades person?

https://forums.landlordzone.co.uk/fo...ng-a-mixer-tap
          "I'm afraid I didn't do enough background checks apart from checking her identity on Facebook" - ANON

What I say is based on my own experience and research - Please don't take as gospel without first checking the gospel yourself.

Comment

I agree that it is an estimate. If they don't know what is required to repair items 4, 5 and 6 then how can they price for it.

What sort of carpet has been priced for? £650 for carpet, underlay, grippers, edge trims, decoration prep and paint is pretty tight. I assume clean up and waste disposal is included in Labour price.

While I wouldn't expect a quantified breakdown of each item on such works, I would expect more detail and the mention of material types and clean up / waste disposal.

If you're not happy, don't except.
            There is always scope for misinterpretation.

If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
            X