Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New law energy efficiency EPC

hello all,
    I have a property whose EPC was done in 2011. It is in F band. I have read up on the new rules and I am worried as there are night storage heaters in the property and no gas central heating and that's the probable cause of such low rating.
    what options have I got to improve the rating to E. What could these heaters be changed to to improve efficiency and how much could be the approx cost.
    also as the EPC certificate is still valid do I need to do anything right now. Is there any grant available to change the night storage heaters. Please help. THANKYOU.

Strange how all these rules (car scrappage schemes, scrappage of perfectly good but somewhat inefficient heaters) lead to the discarding of massive amounts of materials and huge energy costs for manufacture of new stuff. I doubt in most instances that counterbalances the energy savings from the new equipment -- or at least it will take many many years to do so.

These sorts of precipitous enforced changes (as opposed to incentives for very gradual change as equipment becomes genuinely obsolete) leads to massive environmental damage. But of course there are those who profit from the schemes - middlemen, makers of new cars, EPC assessors, petrol stations to supply fuel for the EPC assessor's cars, and various politicians who get kickbacks.

Comment

There are other things to change than storage heaters. This is pretty pointless even from a financial view, as more efficient ones require electronics and fans to drive the heat out of the very well insulated box. These items will require expensive repairs after 8/9 years.

If you have a hot water tank with a top mount immersion, changing this to a dual version will save about two points. Another tank jacket (on top of the existing one) will get you a point or two. Put in low energy bulbs for the test and save a further point. Will that get you up to an 'E'?

BTW, it's only new lettings after April that are affected. For existing tenancies you have until 2020.

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it. I looked at some paperwork and a new gledhill Enmersion heater has been installed in 2011 so hoping that's got the right insulation and also has correct efficiency rating. But I will look at changing the light bulbs to make it more efficient. Thank you. Kate

Comment

An immersion heater has no insulation at all!

It's the tank you need to insulate.

Comment

oh yeah I understand what you are saying.. I got confused between the tank and heater bit

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• WD40 or Zinsser?
              JK0
              I'm just about to start redecorating the flat where I've been working on the bathrooms. I notice my tenant's daughters have done a lot of drawing on the walls. What's the best thing to do about this? Scrub each bit with WD40, or paint over the drawing with Zinsser?
              04-12-2018, 21:20 PM
            • Reply to WD40 or Zinsser?
              Jon66
              However, now having used it, be careful that it comes out the correct colour. Although it was 'colour matched' in reality it came up a couple of shades darker, not helped by a differently lit room, but was remedied by Brewers adding more white, which was better for the second coat! I suspect this is...
              14-12-2018, 19:13 PM
            • German hobs
              JK0
              I think I just made an expensive mistake. I ordered a nice 2nd hand Miele hob from this ebay store in Germany. Looking more closely at it, the lead has a plug with 11(!) connections in it, and I can't see any controls on the hob itself. I get the impression that hobs in German homes have a separate...
              Follow kochfeldhandel on eBay. Buying, Selling, Collecting on eBay has never been more exciting!
              14-12-2018, 12:57 PM
              Jon66
              Brewers, or Johnstones will mix perma white to your required colour providing its an off white like magnolia or ivory. Just had it colour matched to subtle ivory at Brewers.
              13-12-2018, 00:48 AM
            • Tenants don't understand E7
              JK0
              Not sure there is any solution to this problem, but maybe someone will have a suggestion:

Most of my rental properties are on Economy 7 heating. There is a timeswitch in the airing cupboard controlling the immersion heaters. The lower one is meant to be used overnight, with the upper one...
              03-02-2015, 21:05 PM
            • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
              Accidental_LI_LL
              I think your problem lies with the fact the majority of people who are clued up enough to understand the things would probably avoid renting a property that had them.... The result being you end up with people who will never understand more than the £££ on their electricity bill - they'll panic when...
              12-12-2018, 22:14 PM
              Accidental_LI_LL
              I wouldn't be keen on using wd40, Can see it easily soaking into plaster leaving you needing to use stain block before repainting

If you're redecorating hit it with sandpaper then paint?
              12-12-2018, 20:34 PM
              leaseholder64
              The solvent in WD40 will probably work on spirit marker pens, but graphite and clay don't dissolve. If the surface will take it, a vinyl eraser is probably best for ordinary pencil.
              07-12-2018, 01:00 AM
              JK0
              Ah, tried WD40 on a small area of pencil today. Strangely it did nothing. Will sugar soap all the walls, and then use Zinsser BIN.

BTW, last year I bought some Magnolia tinted Zinsser Perma-White to paint a kitchen walls. This no longer seems to be around. I can only find white Perma-White....
              07-12-2018, 00:22 AM
            • Reply to Tenants don't understand E7
              JK0
              I just got back from one of my properties where I replaced the hob for my tenant of 6 years. The place was virtually steaming, it was so hot in there. I had to keep mopping my brow. This place has weather sensitive storage heaters, and is also on SSE's flexiheat tariff. This gives them a two hour boost...
              05-12-2018, 13:57 PM
            Working...
            X