House EPC requirements for old 10 year tenancy without EPC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

House EPC requirements for old 10 year tenancy without EPC

I have a property that has been rented to original tenant for the last 10 years and therefore has never required an EPC as never been marketed

I'm checking energy compliance prior to April 2018 and wondered whether I need one for this property before this April or not. I don't think I do, but before 2020 comes along when all tenancies need to be an E then perhaps I will

Please can anyone tell me what I need to do to comply if this is not the case.
    Thanks

Do you have a gut feel based on your own experience whether it's likely to be bottom end of the scale or a C or D property?

Comment

I'm in the same boat. I have a gut feel that mine will be F. Will I be better off with no EPC than a low one?

Comment

Our EPC man says he is prepared to carry out an EPC survey but not register it in the national register, giving us the chance to put in hand works so as to achieve the pass mark. If there is no new letting a new EPC is not actually required but clearly we are all going to have be pro-active to get energy improvements underway. Hopefully the Government will upgrade the software by which EPCs are caluculated as there are some inconsistencies and it is a blunt tool at present. For example some insulating materials do not up the score at all, reflecting materials like aero-therm which are actually quite effective are also unrated; solid walls are overpelaised and so forth. It is extremely irritating to have to pay someone to advise to put a wind turbine or a solar panel in a flat in a block which is in any event in a conservation area! However the surveys are very inexpensive and progress is being made

Comment

Originally posted by wfd_property View Post
          Do you have a gut feel based on your own experience whether it's likely to be bottom end of the scale or a C or D property?
          Looking at results for other properties it could go either way; I think it should be OK though as it has a condensing gas boiler

Comment

Originally posted by JK0 View Post
            I'm in the same boat. I have a gut feel that mine will be F. Will I be better off with no EPC than a low one?
            Good question

What I cannot establish because i am too lazy to read every word of the information out there, is, previously an EPC was only required before marketing, will there now be a requirement to get an EPC in 2020 even if you do not market. And where does it say that

I thought I had found an article which showed that if you did not have a valid EPC (expired) that the requirement would not apply to you. Struggling to find it now. On second thoughts it may be the bit that means the tenant can demand you make improvements before 2020 kicks in. So the answer JK0 is do not get an EPC done or it may be use against you by tenant

We all want to do the right thing, but i want to know where i stand and not inconveneice a happy tenancy when the rent is low anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by flyingfreehold View Post
              Our EPC man says he is prepared to carry out an EPC survey but not register it in the national register, giving us the chance to put in hand works so as to achieve the pass mark.
              A good idea

Comment

From the RLA website

"These rules regarding new tenancies are ongoing from 1st April 2018 onwards but, additionally, as from 1st April 2020 they will apply to continuing tenancies which are already in existence on that date. They will then apply on an ongoing basis to continuing tenancies which have a current EPC, if there is a legal requirement for the property to have an EPC."

This must be what I read last time.

It goes on to say
                "
                • If a property does not actually have an EPC, then the regulations do not apply....

The EPC must be the current EPC if there is one and this must be no more than 10 years old. It follows that if an EPC was obtained when it was required but has run out after 10 years there is no automatic requirement to have another one produced, so that the minimum energy efficiency requirement will not apply at that stage. A further EPC will only be needed the next time that a sale or letting takes place....

If an EPC has run out without there being a further trigger requiring one, then as the property no longer has a valid EPC (and there remains no requirement to have one) the property will fall outside the scope of the Regulations."

Comment

Thank God for government screw-ups eh?

Comment

err, not really. I walked past some restaurants with tables on the pavement at Granary Square in London. Rugs were provided on the backs of the chairs We are all breaking our heads trying to achieve an E not an F and these places had a multiplicity of 1kw element heaters in the pavement canopy and on posts to keep diners warm whilst they ate their tuna carpaccio . What's ridiculous is the waste...... There must have been forty of theses heaters blazing away and not a solitary soul sitting outside!

Comment

Originally posted by TimberCladding View Post

Looking at results for other properties it could go either way; I think it should be OK though as it has a condensing gas boiler
                      Is the tenant on benefits? If so would they be eligible for the various funded insulation schemes? Might be a way to nudge it higher for minimal extra effort.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
                      X