Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???

Hello. First time landlord here. Am very near completion on an upper Tyneside flat that has 1 bedroom in the attic (total of 2). The conversion looks very very old to me and there is little or no insulation. In order to let this out, is there any ything I need to do? I.e. the present regs do not apply do they? Obviously I will make sure all electrical and gas certs are in order and a fire door fitted, but apart from that?
    Cheers!

If its legally classed as an inhabitable bedroom (which should be resolved as part of your purchasing process) I see no reason why not. Building regs dont retrospectively apply - if they did, half of the country would be uninhabitable
    Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Thanks. I kind of thought that, but I just wondered (bit nervous... first time BtLer you see) if anyone else had had issues.
      Thanks again

Comment

The above is probably the correct theoretical position. However, just be aware of the practicalities - if the conversion has little insulation, it may drag your EPC rating down to below what it will be allowed to be to rent out as of next year (I presume you've seen the EPC, what rating is it?).

Also, cost to assume (IMHO) that you will need to improve the insulation at some point in time. Regardless of the correct legal position, you dont want to put tenants in a position that they could even think about starting to claim disrepair, nor put them in a freezing room (knowing the area you talk about very well, I know how cold those flats can get even unextended over winter!).
        Any posts by myself are my opinion ONLY. They should never be taken as correct or factual without confirmation from a legal professional. All information is given without prejudice or liability.

Comment

Thanks MrShed. I hadn't considered EPC rating! However, I do plan to insulate at some point. I suppose I just thought it's been rented out for 20 years before me so it must be ok. There is a radiator up there.

Comment

It's probably fine. Just assume you will need to do it, and then you will have no surprises

Comment

You should check with local council for "insulation standards" before letting. Also with local estate agent on any local rules.

Comment

We had a discussion about a similar property in the north east recently. We decided against buying it to let because of the risk of someone being trapped in the loft room during a fire. Someone actually posted that they'd been in the situation as tenants but thankfully no one was in the loft room when dated electrics caused a major fire there. They said they'd never rent that kind of property again.

Obviously, it's up to you, but you should at least consider the worst case scenario risks you might face...

Comment

Yes, awful if a fire occurred, but that could be in any old property. I'll make sure there is a fire door, and plenty of smoke alarms.- I'd do that regardless of regs.
                  There is no risk of fire coming up the side of an end gable wall so the escape route is safe, except that it is 25 feet off the floor. Hence I did think a rope ladder would be a safe thing to have, but that would scare a lot of people... think I'll leave it up to them to decide of they want one.

Comment

Hi,I am in a similar situation. The attic in the house I am about to let out was converted 35 years ago, without building control or planning. Its fine but doesnt satisfy modern regs in terms of fire safety or head height. I am thinking about renting it out as a 2 bed with a large attic, and pointing out that the attic is not a habitable space, and only for storage. But I am sure, with stairs up to the attic, electricity, heating, etc, the tenant will use it as a third bedroom. Where does that leave me in terms of my liability and my insurance? I have put as much safety in as I can, in terms of smoke detectors on all floors (all connected), but it is not legal, and it would be very difficult to make it legal (for a number of reasons that I wont go into, including head height at the stairs, as well as fire safety). Any experts out there know what position that leaves me in??

Comment

Col13,

Was it compliant back in 1983? If so then no issue.

I suppose its no different to renting a normal 2 bed to a couple and them occasionally having friends to sleep over. I think if you tell them that its for storage only, and maybe a sign to that effect on the stairs up to it, then you will have protected yourself.

Comment

It was probably compliant in 1983, but the conversion was never applied for. So there are no planning approvals, and no building warrants. So the rules then are probably irrelevant. I would have to make it compliant now, even though it was done 40 years ago.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• New terms (overage) after contracts issued
                          Bach
                          Hi

I'm not sure if I'm positing this in the correct category.

​​​​ I'm in the middle of a residential property purchase. It's been 4 months since my offer was accepted.

I've spent around £2000 on fees etc so far.

Out of nowhere, the seller...
                          19-08-2018, 19:54 PM
                        • Reply to New terms (overage) after contracts issued
                          Lawcruncher
                          They should certainly have disclosed at the outset that they want an overage. It is unusual on an arm's length residential sale. If you are getting a mortgage it will almost certainly be opposed by the lender.

Unfortunately I cannot see a way for you to claim your legal and other costs...
                          19-08-2018, 20:43 PM
                        • covenants
                          fencroft
                          I have an agreement in writing, after making a payment, to extinguish a restrictive covenant. I tried to do this myself with the LR and they rejected my application. They said I need a legal deed of agreement. I have done other legal things myself such as filling in the TP1 for example. I asked for...
                          17-08-2018, 11:08 AM
                        • Reply to covenants
                          Lawcruncher
                          An instrument releasing a covenant needs to be made by deed. It also of course has to have the right words in it. You should also note that a release may not necessarily be effective to extinguish the covenant. To get the covenant removed from your title you need to satisfy the LR that it has been executed...
                          17-08-2018, 21:06 PM
                        • Highways mistake?
                          mojo2460
                          26-07-2018, 07:54 AM
                        • Reply to Highways mistake?
                          mojo2460
                          Hi WFD, thanks for reply. Unfortunately Jubilee Owner lives abroad and I know wouldn't be interested. Another local extinguishment order just took 12 months.
                          You can see on the plan that the triangle abuts the narrow street on one side. on the inner side is a ten foot wall which abuts the cemetery...
                          08-08-2018, 10:49 AM
                        • Car parking query
                          Patti
                          Our 12 flats are leasehold with each owning an equal share of freehold and an allocated car park space. Over the years, some owners have 'swapped' parking spaces (by private arrangement rather than officially). In addition, the original plans on the leases show an arrangement of spaces that is physically...
                          15-06-2018, 18:51 PM
                        • Reply to Car parking query
                          wfd_property
                          There is another practical reason why this needs to be sorted out.

Those of us who like to drive new cars will in all probability have bought their last petrol or diesel car. Everything I have test driven recently is either hybrid or pure electric (not sure if I can justify the model X...
                          07-08-2018, 20:33 PM
                        • Lender Insolvent - Help
                          Bengt Lagander
                          How do you remove a insolvent lender 1st legal charge registered at LR. The lebder is small limited company insolvent for 5 years. No staff. And no reply.

Any ideas?
                          25-06-2018, 17:14 PM
                        • Reply to Lender Insolvent - Help
                          wfd_property
                          The reality is that the assets of this insolvent lender (such assets including your house!) will have been transferred by the insolvency practitioner to another party. 5 years is a long time however. Have you _really_ not had contact or repayment requests in that period of time?

Or are...
                          07-08-2018, 20:27 PM
                        Working...
                        X