Purchase of the freehold of 2 flats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purchase of the freehold of 2 flats

Hi there , we are owners of a ground floor maisonette with a 98 years lease ( value 270 k ) and our upstairs neighbour is selling his flat with 68 years lease ( current value 205 k ) We are considering to buy his flat , so we can own the whole house , and then try to purchase the full freehold of the house.

Which survey do we need to determine the cost of the full freehold ? Online calculator gives me figures which are feasible, can the current freehold ask more at their whim ?

Can we force the sell as we would own 100% of premise ? And lastly do we have to wait to have own the upstairs flat for two year ?

Looking for expert advice for a clear understanding ? Thank you

If you use online calculators to work out the cost of a statutory lease extension for each flat and add the result together, that will give you a ball park figure as to the value of the freehold.

If you own both flats you should be able to enfranchise the purchase of the freehold see-
    http://www.lease-advice.org/advice-g...tting-started/

You should approach the freeholder to see if he is prepared to sell the freehold to you informally, if not you will have to follow the procedure in the link above, you don't have to wait two years.

Comment

Thank you

I had a check and the flat upstair's freehold would be 17K and downstairs 3K , so about 20K for both , can the freeholder ask more than the figures calculated on a calculator or by a survey ?

Also I found this which is alarming :

"But, even if the tenant satisfies the above criteria, they will not be a qualifying tenant if any of the following cases apply:

the tenant owns more than two flats in the building. This is either jointly with others or solely in their own name. Please note where this applies these flats will be discounted from the two-thirds"

Could somebody explain ? We would own both maisonette ( 100 % of the house )

Comment

The freeholder can ask whatever he likes for the freehold but ultimately you negotiate and if you can't agree you apply to the FTT to determine the price.

As there are only two flats I don't see how you can own more than two flats.

Asking the FH if he is willing to sell and at what price is the starting point.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
          Joiner358
          We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
          19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
        • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
          wfd_property
          I would take your agreement to a solicitor and get specific advice....
          23-07-2017, 06:13 AM
        • Land registry trubunal
          Rosierees
          In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
          19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
        • Reply to Land registry trubunal
          wfd_property
          There is a 'public interest' test. There are various bits of guidance for journalism etc.

Impossible to say more without knowing details you probably won't want to give in open forum....
          23-07-2017, 06:11 AM
        • Title Deeds and Mortgage
          MAPTON
          Hi

Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
          22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
        • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
          wfd_property
          Or you just chuck her out and find a tenant?...
          23-07-2017, 06:09 AM
          MrShed
          Presuming that what you are wanting to achieve is allow your spouse to remain in the property despite her affordability not being good enough, I would suggest that you either:
          1) Keep the current situation exactly as it is.
          2) Make a formal contractual arrangement to pay your spouse X money...
          22-07-2017, 16:51 PM
          MrShed
          I would have thought virtually impossible. Think about it from the mortgagee's position - they have just effectively lost their security in the mortgage!...
          22-07-2017, 16:49 PM
        • Reply to Land registry trubunal
          AndrewDod
          What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
          21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
        • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
          Logical.Lean
          I don't think you can....
          20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
        Working...
        X