Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shared driveway- neighbour allowing another to use

Hi,

I have some tenants in a semi detached house whereby the driveway is shared between the tenants and their neighbour. The neighbour has allowed someone to use the driveway to park their vehicle on the neighbour's back yard.

The tenants have objected to this as they don't appreciate seeing dogs come up the driveway to get into their car along with their owner. This is due to them having 2 small children.

They have asked me to stop the neighbour allowing other people to use the shared driveway.

The tenants tell me the legal position is that only cars belonging to the tenant or the neighbour can use the driveway.

What do I do? and does anyone know the legal position ?

I have very good tenants (that i don't wish to lose) but I don't wish to annoy the neighbours as well.

Regards
    Warrior

Originally posted by wizard View Post
    Hi,

I have some tenants in a semi detached house whereby the driveway is shared between the tenants and their neighbour. The neighbour has allowed someone to use the driveway to park their vehicle on the neighbour's back yard.

The tenants have objected to this as they don't appreciate seeing dogs come up the driveway to get into their car along with their owner. This is due to them having 2 small children.

They have asked me to stop the neighbour allowing other people to use the shared driveway.

The tenants tell me the legal position is that only cars belonging to the tenant or the neighbour can use the driveway.

What do I do? and does anyone know the legal position ?

I have very good tenants (that i don't wish to lose) but I don't wish to annoy the neighbours as well.

Regards
    Warrior
    You will need to check your deeds to see what use you & your neighbours have with the driveway.

Have the tenants had a polite word with the neighbours, might just solve it quickly?

Comment

The tenants have spoken to the neighbour and he believes he is in the right to allow anyone to use the driveway as long as no one blocks the driveway.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Reckon I will wait and hope the situation blows over.

Regard
      Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by wizard View Post
        The tenants have spoken to the neighbour and he believes he is in the right to allow anyone to use the driveway as long as no one blocks the driveway.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Reckon I will wait and hope the situation blows over.

Regard
        Wizard
        No need to wait. Assuming that both properties are registered, you could easily obtain copies of both registers/title plans (and any other plans to which HMLR refers on registers), to see what easements actually exist.
        JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
        4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X