My daughter owns my flat- what's my legal status?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My daughter owns my flat- what's my legal status?

Hi,
    I'm a newbie and hope that someone can help in what is quite a compicated situation.

I live in a house my daughter purchased. She paid the deposit and took out a mortgage which I pay. Between us we have paid out approx. £10000 on upgrading the property.

For tax purposes she transferred the property to my son in law but there is a legal agreement that the property cannot be sold without the permission of all three parties. There is also no tenancy agreement.

Last year they were divorced and he agreed to a settlement and to transfer the property back to her. He renaged on both. He has gone ahead with a Buy To Let mortgage and demands that I pay £120 more per month plus the buildings insurance.

The reason behind it all is control....of her....through me so I need to know my rights.

Any advice please

Thanks

Anna

1. Your daughter should go back to Court and enforce Settlement.
    2. "Legal agreement": is this protected by any registration at HMLR? It should be- that would have prevented remortgage.
    3. How could he do a BTL mortgage when the property is not subject to a written AST?
    Last edited by jeffrey; 14-08-2007, 21:34 PM. Reason: Original para. 1 deleted as thread now in Conv. Forum
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

I was going to respond with a 'Benefical Ownership Declaration' but that was squashed when I read that your daugther transfered the ownership to her then Husband.
      If this is the case 'Last year they were divorced and he agreed to a settlement and to transfer the property back to her. He renaged on both' and this was formalised of agreed infront of a solicitor or a court then this is your only real lever as he has 'renaged'. Address this with the divorce lawyer that dealt with it. Regards Peter
      Last edited by TaxationPete; 04-07-2007, 13:10 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by jeffrey View Post
        1. Not really a Residential Property (= lettings) thread. It would have been better in Conv. Forum.
        2. Your daughter should go back to Court and enforce Settlement.
        3. "Legal agreement": is this protected by any registration at HMLR? It should be- that would have prevented remortgage.
        4. How could he do a BTL mortgage when the property is not subject to a written AST?
        Thanks for your reply.

The Legal Agreement is not protected by registration at HMLR. Why I don't know but I assume because at the time they were still together. He simply walked out one day.

Re the BTL mortgage. Haven't a clue.Unfortunately he is none too bright and possibly assumes that completing the forms made the deal done. There has been no survey.

Cheers Anna

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Re the BTL mortgage. Haven't a clue.Unfortunately he is none too bright and possibly assumes that completing the forms made the deal done. There has been no survey.
          So presumably the situation is that he's applied for a BTL mortgage, not that he has obtained one (sounds unlikely that it will go through)?

Comment

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            Thanks for your reply.

The Legal Agreement is not protected by registration at HMLR. Why I don't know but I assume because at the time they were still together. He simply walked out one day.

Cheers Anna
            In your own interests, the Agreement should be formally protected. It's no good stipulating that three people have to agree before any dealing occurs, if the non-registration means that your right to object is illusory.
            JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
            1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
            2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
            3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
            4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• who is in charge of the fences?
              ll2013
              Hello

How do I find out who is in charge of each fence?
              There's two side ones and also two rear ones. One neighbour at the back asked me and I wasn't sure. It's not specified in title information.
              Also left side fence looks like it can be fixed so want to know if we need to...
              27-07-2017, 13:22 PM
            • Reply to who is in charge of the fences?
              ll2013
              Thank you.
              What exactly is a post?
              I spoke to my conveyancer today and he seemed to think the rear and right side were our fences due to the T being there but there is no mention of what T means. I've attached below. What do you think?...
              27-07-2017, 18:26 PM
              nukecad
              A fence between properties is a 'boundary feature'.

A boundary feature is any structure that separates your property from your neighbour’s, such as a fence, wall or hedge. There are no laws about who owns these or which side of the boundary feature you’re responsible for.
              27-07-2017, 14:23 PM
              leaseholder64
              The normal rule of thumb, if not indicated in the title deeds, or title plan (there is a symbol for this), is that the people on the ugly side, e.g. the side with the post, own it.

It is only a rule of thumb, though.
              27-07-2017, 14:18 PM
            • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
              Joiner358
              We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
              19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
            • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
              wfd_property
              I would take your agreement to a solicitor and get specific advice....
              23-07-2017, 06:13 AM
            • Land registry trubunal
              Rosierees
              In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
              19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
            • Reply to Land registry trubunal
              wfd_property
              There is a 'public interest' test. There are various bits of guidance for journalism etc.

Impossible to say more without knowing details you probably won't want to give in open forum....
              23-07-2017, 06:11 AM
            • Title Deeds and Mortgage
              MAPTON
              Hi

Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
              22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
            • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
              wfd_property
              Or you just chuck her out and find a tenant?...
              23-07-2017, 06:09 AM
            Working...
            X