Purchasing , an extension without planning ..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing , an extension without planning ..

Hello all, I an nearing completion on a terraced house , cash purchase due to knotweed nearby. Today my solicitor has pointed out a rear ground ,first floor extension built approx 1982 was built without planning permission or building regs. He points out it is unlikely that any enforcement action would take place due to the time passed . furthermore the sellers aren't agreeing to pay for an indemnity insurance due to the time passed. Being a builder it looks decently enough built structure. After ridding the knotweed I would sell the property on , does this extension cause problems in a future sale??

And are there any other concerns? all replies welcomed.

You could volunteer to pay for the indemnity insurance now to remove any worries.

Comment

Three points:

1. Is the extension sound? That is part of investigating whether the property as a whole is sound. Either you have a survey or take a view.

2. Can the planning authority take enforcement action? No. Too much time has elapsed.

3. Assuming the property is sound, will you have a problem on a sale? If view of the answer to 2, you should not. However, you can never be sure if a buyer's conveyancer will be over-cautious or fail to understand the rules. Once again you have to take a view.

Indemnity insurance would seem to be pointless as there is nothing to insure against. However, you can always take it out later if a buyer insists he will not proceed without it.

Comment

Thanks to both replies , i value them..

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
        X