Does a lease extension create a new land registry entry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does a lease extension create a new land registry entry?

Can anybody tell me what happens to the existing record at the Land Registry when the term of a leasehold flat is extended. Does the Land Registry delete the present record and re-issue a new number, or is the existing record simply amended?

And secondly,

What happens to the Land Registry record when the leasehold term expires?

Tim

Originally posted by TimUK View Post
    Can anybody tell me what happens to the existing record at the Land Registry when the term of a leasehold flat is extended. Does the Land Registry delete the present record and re-issue a new number, or is the existing record simply amended?

And secondly,

What happens to the Land Registry record when the leasehold term expires?

Tim
    1. Each HMLR title is specific to an estate or interest. A new lease needs a new title, so - on leasehold extension - the old title is closed and a new one is opened. Really, an "extension" is a surrender and re-grant (except, unusually, if the extension takes the form of a reversionary lease leaving the old lease in place).
    2. Hence, if the old lease is subject to a registered charge (=mortgage), the chargee/mortgagee needs to execute a Deed of Substituted Security before the old title can be closed.
    3. If a registered lease's term expires, the title continues to exist. Some leases are capable of continuing after term expiry (think AST with periodic continuation tenancy). The title can be closed on application (form AP1) with supporting evidence.
    4. The same is largely true of a lease that is as-yet unregistered and now expires (but application form would be CN1) or is extended.
    Last edited by jeffrey; 02-08-2007, 13:50 PM.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Form A Restriction Removal
      by rks2021
      Hi all , really could do with some help on this please .
      I purchased a property back in 2002 and asked my sister to be on the mortgage to help me get the required mortgage, She has never had any financial interest in the property , now the mortgage has been paid i wish to remove her name from...
      08-12-2021, 20:17 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with Adverse Possession objection
      by helpmenot
      Good to hear an update.
      To clarify: you informed land registry your opinion is that the objection is groundless.
      did you also send my letter template to your neighbours?...
      22-11-2021, 12:00 PM
    • Dealing with Adverse Possession objection
      by Ken_Johnson
      I bought a property 3 years ago which was in AP of a small strip of unregistered land next to it since the 1960s.
      I recently applied for AP and all was going fine until recently an objection was received by a neighbour with a lot of spurious and false claims.
      The letter received is a B193(A)...
      31-08-2021, 14:55 PM
    • Reply to Dealing with Adverse Possession objection
      by Ken_Johnson
      Apologies for the delay.

Wrote to the two objectors, twice, never heard anything back. One of the objectors tried threatening physical action, reported to Police, crime reference number obtained. Informed Land Registry that as they are not responding, it's best to go to tribunal.
      22-11-2021, 10:00 AM
    • Reply to Membership Certificate?
      by Beebee123
      Hi,

I have now heard back from the management agent who is also the secretary of the management company that, they were not the secretary at the time I became the owner and was not passed over details from previous agents.

They asked me to fill in a membership application form...
      16-11-2021, 21:24 PM
    • Membership Certificate?
      by Beebee123
      Hi All,

Sorry if this question was already addressed previously.

I hold a leasehold property back in years ago and I am now planning to sell my property.

What comes to my mind is that when I have a look of the previous LPE1 / M&A there was mentioned a Membership...
      11-11-2021, 23:18 PM
    • Reply to Membership Certificate?
      by Gordon999
      You should ask your management company if any certificate was issued .
      13-11-2021, 09:31 AM
    • Selling with tenant in situ - no EIRC
      by meehr
      Hi folks, slightly worried and looking for your view:

I’m selling my old flat with tenant in situ, and just discovered that we have been non compliant since April on the EIRC - my earlier interpretation had been that we didn’t need to do an EIRC until a new tenancy.

I...
      11-11-2021, 10:18 AM
    • Reply to Selling with tenant in situ - no EIRC
      by Neelix
      Your buyer needs to get their own EICR done before they buy
      11-11-2021, 17:02 PM
    • Reply to Selling with tenant in situ - no EIRC
      by L4NDLORD
      I dont think you could be retrospectively prosecuted if you were no longer the owner when it came to light that there is no EICR. I would probably get an electrician in however, to inform me what it would cost to get up to standard. You don't want to give the hypothetical buyer reasons to doubt his/her...
      11-11-2021, 15:11 PM
    Working...
    X