Brother-in-law occupying but inadequate documentation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brother-in-law occupying but inadequate documentation

My husband purchased a house with his brother approximately 6 years ago. Since then they have been fixing it up slowly. They have been paying the mortgage 50:50. My husband’s brother and his wife moved into the property approximately 2/3 years ago and have continued to pay the same amount of mortgage payments and what ever their utility expenses were.

My husband and I tried to resolve this issue with his brother about how to go forward as we were not receiving any benefit from the property. Finally (after a lot of hardwork) it was agreed that we would buy my brother-in-laws share of the property (for above Market Value!).

Anyways, we allowed them to stay in the property paying what they had been towards the mortgage to us for 6 months until they found a property to move into (We then obviously had a increased mortgage that was under my husbands and my name). This was on conditions that they would look after the property and would let us know when they will be moving. The six months is coming to an end and they are extremely uncooperative about letting us know when they are moving. Relations have been broken down since we purchased his share. The house is constantly dirty and they refuse to be civil about discussing about the fact that we can’t afford for them to continue staying the property at such a low ‘rent’ (Market Value for the area is more than double to what they are paying)

We are not sure what our rights are with respect to evicting them out of the property. As there was no written agreement and he has been sitting on c£90k (the share we paid) since December when the title got transferred from his name to my own – we just are not sure whether he is classified as a tenant and therefore we need to serve notice on him before we change the locks and evict him. (I know this sounds harsh but his parents live down the road with plenty of space)

Any advice on this matter would be great!

If you really have completed the purchase of the property from your brother then allowed him to rent the property from you, in the absence of any other agreement he would have had a 6 month AST whether in writing or not. After the six months expires you then have to serve a Section 21 notice giving two months notice and then if he still doesn't move you will then have to go to court to regain possession.

You cannot change the locks and kick them out without serious penalties to yourself and possible criminal charges.

Comment

Originally posted by attilathelandlord View Post
      If you really have completed the purchase of the property from your brother then allowed him to rent the property from you, in the absence of any other agreement he would have had a 6 month AST whether in writing or not. After the six months expires you then have to serve a Section 21 notice giving two months notice and then if he still doesn't move you will then have to go to court to regain possession.

You cannot change the locks and kick them out without serious penalties to yourself and possible criminal charges.

It might be worth noting that the section 21 commands a minimum 2 mths notice and can be issued at any point within the six month period to expire at the end of the six month (verbal) AST. I would issue the s21 at your earliest convenience (& quickly if still within the 6mth term)!

The rules change once the tenancy has gone periodic (ie after 6mth tenancy ends).

Regards

J

Comment

Does that mean I just send the fixed-term S21 notice and after 2 months I can take possession of the house? Do I need to get a lawyer to do this or can I send this myself?

I have a fear they may damage the property further upon receiving this notice - is there any protection I can get if this happens?

Thanks for your advice - it is really appreciated.

Comment

your 2 months notice must reflect the date they became your tenants, it's not just any old two months for example if they became your tenants on 1st jan 2006 then the fixed period would end after 30th June. Any S21 would run from the 1st of the month to the last day two months hence.

If they don't move out after 2 months you would then have to go to court to get possession.

There's not a lot to protect you from damage, but if you bought them out you know they have plenty of money to pay for it!

Comment

I have given them teh S21 as advised and they have 2 montsh to leave.

They havent paid this months rent and I am not sure they are planning on leaving either. I dont want to leave the action too late - is there anything I can do about this?

How long does it take to get a court order for possession if they dont leave and when can I apply for one - as they hoping to prolong the process so that by the time i get a court order etc another month or so would have gone by.

Thanks for all your advice.

Comment

you can apply for a PO when the s21 EXPIRES but not beforehand.

once they are 2 months i arrears you can apply for possession under Ground 8 (2 months arrears) which is a compulsory ground for possession. this can done alongside the S21 so you have both to rely on in court.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Less than 50% of freehold
                by raskitt
                I have just started conveyancing for a share of freehold flat. The flat is the ground floor of a converted house.

I have just found out that the other 2 share of freehold flats are owned by the same person (who originally owned the whole building).

How much of a problem is...
                29-06-2022, 13:28 PM
              • Reply to Less than 50% of freehold
                by AndrewDod
                I think the issue here is not so much the lease (if it is bad, that is a problem) but what the options are when the lease/law are disobeyed (as is commonly the case). Certainly if one is charitable and generous (as you are) and assumes the lease/law will be obeyed rigorously, then the lease is key....
                01-07-2022, 17:52 PM
                by Gordon999
                Obviously, my feedback can be wrong. OP 's solicitor should check the terms in the lease are all acceptable before he commits to exchange of contract for purchase of "leasehold flat".

He should not try to buy a "freehold flat" which does not qualify for mortgage...
                01-07-2022, 17:12 PM
                by AndrewDod
                Neither of the above are necessarily true

Read this forum and the comments already made. Plenty of reason to worry....
                01-07-2022, 12:52 PM
                by Gordon999
                If you own a 1/3 rd share in the freehold title , you do not pay ground rent and you can give your flat a statutory lease extension at nil premium.

The service charge for maintenance of the building should contributed 1/3rd by your flat. If the other freeholder contributes 2/3rds for...
                01-07-2022, 12:33 PM
                by flyingfreehold
                another problem with share of freehold is that neighbours can end up in dispute and at each others throats. And having to sue neighbours is most undesirable. Those campaigning for leasehold reform havent gone into print as to how to enforce against leaseholders who refuse to pay. We have one leaseholder...
                30-06-2022, 22:34 PM
                by AndrewDod
                No. Your obligations and those of the FH are determined by the lease. When the FH does not obey the lease (or cheats) you have recourse via the courts. If you are part of the freeholder (but with no actual ability to uphold those obligations) you would be taking legal action against yourself. If as...
                30-06-2022, 15:11 PM
                by raskitt
                AndrewDod,

Thank you, my thoughts are going this way. Could you explain briefly why it would be worse? I assume because I'm on the hook for shared costs whereas if I had the same flat but without the freehold I would not
                30-06-2022, 14:40 PM
                by raskitt
                Yes that is correct...
                30-06-2022, 14:38 PM
                by AndrewDod
                If you own a minority share of the freehold, then true you have no say at all. The freeholder still has to obey the lease and the law though.

I would not buy it. Owning a minority share in a "share of freehold" situation is far worse than not owning any share at all (and having...
                30-06-2022, 11:54 AM
              Working...
              X