RTB property- renting out within the discount period?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RTB property- renting out within the discount period?

I wanted to know if anyone could answer this question for me.

I bought my house in october 2006 via the right to buy scheme. I had been a councill tennant since june 2002. I have had the house for 7 months now and have decided that I would like to rent it out and purchase another property that I could use a live in redevelopment for the next couple of years.

Is there any legistlation or law that says I can not rent my house out during the discount period? or am I safe to let it out during the intial three years providing I do not sell?

thanks in advance!

Asfaras I know, you can let it out.
    The only restriction is on the sale of the property within the first 3 years. But do check the paper work you signed last year to be certain.
    Also, if it is a leasehold property ( flat ) then check the terms of the lease, as you may need to get permission from the leaseholder.

Comment

Originally posted by Colincbayley View Post
      Asfaras I know, you can let it out.
      The only restriction is on the sale of the property within the first 3 years. But do check the paper work you signed last year to be certain.
      Also, if it is a leasehold property ( flat ) then check the terms of the lease, as you may need to get permission from the leaseholder.
      Thank for your reply.

I will need to have a good look over the paper work..... I dont think there should be a problem though as long as I do not sell.

Comment

You should be OK.

I have just purchased an Ex. LA flat within the 3yr discount period, the vendor paid back part of their discount to the council and I am letting out the property with no problems.

Just check your own paperwork to be sure.

Comment

Discount repayment period is now FIVE years, if s.122 Notice of Claim issued after Housing Act 2004 amendments took effect.
          JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
          1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
          2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
          3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
          4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

Working...
          X