Indemnity Insurance

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Indemnity Insurance

I am having trouble getting details of some change made to a leasehold I am going to buy these changes were made many years ago, should I get Indemnity Insurance as advised by my solicitor?

Also the boiler system in the property was not done by a licensed plummer so there is no certificate, can I get a cert if a pay a plummer to come and check it?

Thanks

Without knowing what the lease says, what the changes are, how long ago they were made and whether the landlord has notice of them, it is not possible to answer your question. You can ask your solicitor: (a) Do I need this insurance and if so why? (b) Should the seller not be paying for it?

As to the boiler system it would be wise to have it checked by an appropriate professional.

Comment

I will write what is written in the charge register:

A conveyance of the freehold estate dated 3 august 1865 made between (1) Persons name (2) persons name and (3) persons name contains restrictive covenants but neither the original deed nor a certified copy or examined abstract there of was produced on first registration.

My solicitor wrote to me:

I asked for an indemnity policy for the missing document referred to at entry 1 of the charges register, which the sellers are not prepared to provide, which is understandable in view of the date of the document.
      The risk is that these unknown covenants come to light and someone with the benefits tries enforce, albeit a very small risk. For this, I can arrange an indemnity insurance policy to protect you, see attached.
      This will cost £210. This is a matter which may arise when you sell too.

What do you think?

Also there is no FENSA cert for new windows installed, although they have been in for more than 1 year and similar windows now exist in other flats in the street.

Comment

Not quite what I thought as the covenant affects the freehold.

If I were buying I would not take out the insurance.

If you are of a very nervous disposition take out the insurance.

Comment

Their are also a few other things that I have to deal with, I shall write them down:

From solicitor to sellers solicitor:

With regards to the lease, this refers to a right of way over the brown area but we can only see green and purple colouring. Is there any brown on the lease plan?

Why is there no brown colouring is the usual for this to be like this? All the other colour boundaries seem to fit in with the lease.

Another issue:

From solicitor to sellers solicitor:

We note that the deed of 30th march 1988 incorrectly refers to the under-lease dated 23rd August 1957 instead of 21st March 1958. How has this not been picked up previously? Please arrange for a further deed of rectification.

What do you make of this?

Comment

First that you seem to have a meticulous solicitor. Secondly, not a lot I am afraid without seeing the documents. Discrepancies of the sort described are not uncommon. The question is whether they are significant. Your solicitor who has read all the documents is the best person to advise.

Comment

I reread the lease covering the colouring of the right of way, it mentions the colour brown as a shared right of way but it also says "if any", now as there is no brown on the plans I take it that there isn't any, yet my lawyer seems to be waiting for a reply on this matter.
              Looking on the plans everything looks to be in order, I don't know whether I should tell the lawyer to not dwell on this matter.

Comment

I can only repeat that without seeing the documents it is difficult to comment. It does though sound as if there has been some slack drafting as it should have been established if there was a right of way.

Comment

As LC says its whether its significant- if the brown coloured ROW is the only way you can get to your flat or parking then its absence would be significant!
                  Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
                    I can only repeat that without seeing the documents it is difficult to comment. It does though sound as if there has been some slack drafting as it should have been established if there was a right of way.
                    Originally posted by Trevor62 View Post
                    I reread the lease covering the colouring of the right of way, it mentions the colour brown as a shared right of way but it also says "if any", now as there is no brown on the plans I take it that there isn't any, yet my lawyer seems to be waiting for a reply on this matter.
                    Looking on the plans everything looks to be in order, I don't know whether I should tell the lawyer to not dwell on this matter.
                    Originally posted by leaseholdanswers View Post
                    As LC says its whether its significant- if the brown coloured ROW is the only way you can get to your flat or parking then its absence would be significant!
                    This is basically what is written:

****** and which as to there positions and boundaries are shown on the plan annexed herato and thereon coloured pink and purple hatched black secondly all that maisonette know as number ** aforesaid being the first floor of the building now standing apon the piece of land shown on the said plan there on coloured purple and hatched black on the said plan together with (1) the right in common with the lessor and the superior lessor and the tenants or occupier of the lower maisonette known as number ** aforsaid and other persons having the like right to pass and re pass on foot only over the part (if any) of the passageway shown an the said plan and thereon coloured brown for the purpose of access to the premises hereby demised and also for the purpose of cleaning or executing repairs or other work to the demised premises the lessee making all good all damage thereby occasioned and contributing from time to time a due proportion of the expense of repair and maintaining the part (if any) of the passageway coloured brown on the said plan.......

This is what is written word for word about right of way, there is no brown only green which ends at the foot of my stair case leading to the front door, the stairs then become purple/ hatched black together with the whole of the upper building.

Comment

The drafting is not exactly a model of clarity. It is fair enough when the position is unknown to say something like "the right to drain surface water through the drains (if any) under the Vendor's adjoining land". However, referring to "a right of way over the path coloured brown (if any)" seems very odd because either you are going to put the colouring on the plan or you are not. It is possible that the clause is a result of "one size fits all" drafting and that the wording was applicable to some other property.

The question you need to ask your solicitor is whether despite the wording and the lack of any brown colouring on the plan you in fact have all the rights you need.

Comment

I spoke to the agent who sell many properties in this street, he tells me that quite a few of the lease-hold details are similar, like you said I should be asking the solicitor whether I do have the rights I need.

I'm getting a bit impatient with the solicitor on this matter, I'm hoping to get more clarity when I get to discuss this matter fully this week.

I will post the out-come asap.

Cheers

Comment

Unfortunately there is a tendency to put problems to one side when there is something easy which can be attended to. You need to chivvy your lawyer up.

Comment

I got some written answers from solicitor;

My question:

Covenants unknown on the charges register refer to the freehold so how can this affect the leasehold?
                            Also the date 1865 means to me that documentation was not that efficient in those days, I don't see the need for insurance.

Solicitors answer:

If the lease-hold title is affected, it will have a knock on effect on the lease-hold title since leases normally refer to observance of the free-hold.

The reply to the brown area:

Solicitors answer:

With regards to the brown colouring- yes it doe's say "if any". My question to you is should there be "any" as far as you are aware in terms of access? The colouring is not great on the plan provided.

What do you think?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Land registry trubunal
                              Rosierees
                              In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
                              19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
                            • Reply to Land registry trubunal
                              Rosierees
                              Thank you it seems really unethical...
                              19-07-2017, 19:21 PM
                            • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
                              Joiner358
                              We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
                              19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
                            • Reply to Land registry trubunal
                              Gordon999
                              Make a complaint about the threats to the Police Station and to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. and to the Tribunal .
                              19-07-2017, 16:02 PM
                            • Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
                              bowsden
                              Hello. First time landlord here. Am very near completion on an upper Tyneside flat that has 1 bedroom in the attic (total of 2). The conversion looks very very old to me and there is little or no insulation. In order to let this out, is there any ything I need to do? I.e. the present regs do not apply...
                              13-07-2017, 09:43 AM
                            • Reply to Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
                              bowsden
                              Yes, awful if a fire occurred, but that could be in any old property. I'll make sure there is a fire door, and plenty of smoke alarms.- I'd do that regardless of regs.
                              There is no risk of fire coming up the side of an end gable wall so the escape route is safe, except that it is 25 feet off the...
                              16-07-2017, 18:43 PM
                            • Reply to Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
                              tatemono
                              We had a discussion about a similar property in the north east recently. We decided against buying it to let because of the risk of someone being trapped in the loft room during a fire. Someone actually posted that they'd been in the situation as tenants but thankfully no one was in the loft room when...
                              16-07-2017, 09:02 AM
                            • D I Y Lease Variation.
                              Trevor62
                              Due to the purchase of a freehold (shared 50/50), We need to vary the leases to accommodate the changes for our own purpose. We have be told that there is a fee of 750 pounds per lease, this does not include legal fees.

How possible is it to do this process ourselves so to avoid legal...
                              07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
                            • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
                              Gordon999
                              You should extend the existing lease to 999 years at peppercorn ground rent and make the other changes at same time.

But don't introduce any changes which prevent a future buyer getting a mortgage ....
                              15-07-2017, 09:11 AM
                            • Estate Agent + Identity Checks
                              cleocat
                              I'm thinking of using an inheritance to purchase a BTL. It's possible to get a flat with a low price tag where I am so would be a cash buyer. On the estate agent's small print section, it says that purchasers need to prove their identity. I understand in this day and age this is a requirement but if...
                              12-07-2017, 11:39 AM
                            Working...
                            X