Selling leasehold but cannot find title deeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling leasehold but cannot find title deeds

I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.

Originally posted by Tallulahballulah View Post
    I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.
    1. Which solicitors last acted for you re conveyancing? Contact them, as they may have retained deeds in vaults.
    2. If sols. don't have the deeds, ask them if they ever did and, if so, to whom the deeds were sent/when/by what method.
    3. BS and sols. cannot both reply negatively. Sols. must have received deeds when you acquired.
    4. Also, assuming that your ownership is registered, contact HMLR and obtain official copy entries (register and plan) for £6 electronic order or £12 otherwise. These should at least show that you own the property even in absence of deeds, and a copy lease can also be obtained (at a cost- £10 electronic order or £20 otherwise).
    Last edited by jeffrey; 10-08-2007, 14:53 PM. Reason: "A" with accent and "�" restored to "£" signs!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If your property is unregistered and you still cannot track down who has your deeds then kick up a fuss with your building society as reconstituting the title of your property when it is unregistered can be expensive. You should be able to get your Building Society to pay for this if they are the last people to have control of the deeds.

Also try contacting your landlord as they usual hold a counterpart copy of the lease which is identical to the one that will be with your deeds.

Hope this helps
      Visit for advice on how to choose a conveyancer that's suitable for you.

Comment

Also, if property is within pre-1974 Yorkshire, secondary info available from West/East/North Yorkshire Archive Services (=one per Riding).
        Last edited by jeffrey; 10-08-2007, 14:54 PM.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallulahballulah View Post
          So what happened in the end?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Land reg tribunal ..quick question
            Rosierees
            If the respondant decides just before a hearing to settle before the hearing and we as applicants also agree what happens after the consent order is sent to the judge
            ? Thanks...
            20-08-2017, 11:05 AM
          • Reply to Land reg tribunal ..quick question
            Moderator2
            Two related threads have been merged
            20-08-2017, 18:58 PM
          • D I Y Lease Variation.
            Trevor62
            Due to the purchase of a freehold (shared 50/50), We need to vary the leases to accommodate the changes for our own purpose. We have be told that there is a fee of 750 pounds per lease, this does not include legal fees.

How possible is it to do this process ourselves so to avoid legal...
            07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
          • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
            leaseholder64
            You will need to sign as both leaseholder and trustee for the freehold. I assume this will need to be done as a deed, so you will need to get the signatures witnessed. If there is a mortgage associated with either property, you will need to pay the mortgagee for approval and they may insist on a ...
            20-08-2017, 10:50 AM
          • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
            Gordon999
            You can have a meeting of the 2 freeholders and agree to terminate the collection of ground rent and whatever minors actions which you want . The items agreed by both parties would be entered into a document signed and dated by both of you as variations to the lease which you could send to Land Registry...
            20-08-2017, 10:41 AM
          • Selling empty property
            londiner
            Hi, I am selling an empty house without a tenant who moved out recently. The Estate agent told me the prospective buyer would live in the house. My solicitor I found online for this transaction based on a very competitive conveyasing fee sent me a contract to sign where the buyer is a limited company...
            09-08-2017, 19:31 PM
          • Reply to Selling empty property
            ram
            You can ask, but 24hours is irresponsible.
            But it takes as long as it takes for a solicitor to VERIFY you or he has the funds, then throw the keys into the estate agent that sold the house.What is YOUR RUSH ? for 24 hours.
            no need to answer as 24 hours is unacceptable.

19-08-2017, 21:23 PM
          • Reply to Selling empty property
            londiner
            Can I ask solicitor to set interval between exchange of contracts and completion to be 24 hours maximum?

And, are there any penalties for the other party if they fail to complete on set day? Can I call off sell if completion does not happen when it should and drags on?
            19-08-2017, 20:32 PM
          • Cancellations and the ramifications
            APorter910
            My nan has been in the process of selling her house for some time, all of the paperwork has been signed (I’m not sure which) and it’s getting close to her handing the keys over. She is looking to move into a smaller house, but needs to wait until everything is finalised until she can put an offer...
            Gorvins conveyancing solicitors in Manchester are trusted residential property experts that have decades of experience when it comes to buying or selling homes.
            17-08-2017, 18:37 PM
          • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
            Gordon999
            Your nan should not hand over any keys until the money has been paid into your nan's solicitor. bank account
            For the sale to proceed , there must be an exchange of sale contracts between buyer and seller solicitors and 10 % deposit paid. and an agreed exchange date.

If buyer has...
            19-08-2017, 18:42 PM
          Working...
          X