Selling leasehold but cannot find title deeds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling leasehold but cannot find title deeds

I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.

Originally posted by Tallulahballulah View Post
    I am in the process of selling my leasehold flat and am unable to locate the title deeds. The building society who we have our mortgage with say they do not have them. Can anyone tell me what i can do.
    1. Which solicitors last acted for you re conveyancing? Contact them, as they may have retained deeds in vaults.
    2. If sols. don't have the deeds, ask them if they ever did and, if so, to whom the deeds were sent/when/by what method.
    3. BS and sols. cannot both reply negatively. Sols. must have received deeds when you acquired.
    4. Also, assuming that your ownership is registered, contact HMLR and obtain official copy entries (register and plan) for £6 electronic order or £12 otherwise. These should at least show that you own the property even in absence of deeds, and a copy lease can also be obtained (at a cost- £10 electronic order or £20 otherwise).
    Last edited by jeffrey; 10-08-2007, 14:53 PM. Reason: "A" with accent and "�" restored to "£" signs!
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If your property is unregistered and you still cannot track down who has your deeds then kick up a fuss with your building society as reconstituting the title of your property when it is unregistered can be expensive. You should be able to get your Building Society to pay for this if they are the last people to have control of the deeds.

Also try contacting your landlord as they usual hold a counterpart copy of the lease which is identical to the one that will be with your deeds.

Hope this helps
      Visit for advice on how to choose a conveyancer that's suitable for you.

Comment

Also, if property is within pre-1974 Yorkshire, secondary info available from West/East/North Yorkshire Archive Services (=one per Riding).
        Last edited by jeffrey; 10-08-2007, 14:54 PM.
        1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
        2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
        3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.

Comment

Originally posted by Tallulahballulah View Post
          So what happened in the end?

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Title Deeds and Mortgage
            MAPTON
            Hi

Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
            22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
          • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
            MrShed
            Presuming that what you are wanting to achieve is allow your spouse to remain in the property despite her affordability not being good enough, I would suggest that you either:
            1) Keep the current situation exactly as it is.
            2) Make a formal contractual arrangement to pay your spouse X money...
            22-07-2017, 16:51 PM
          • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
            MrShed
            I would have thought virtually impossible. Think about it from the mortgagee's position - they have just effectively lost their security in the mortgage!...
            22-07-2017, 16:49 PM
          • Land registry trubunal
            Rosierees
            In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
            19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
          • Reply to Land registry trubunal
            AndrewDod
            What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
            21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
          • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
            Joiner358
            We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
            19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
          • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
            Logical.Lean
            I don't think you can....
            20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
            Rosierees
            Thank you it seems really unethical...
            19-07-2017, 19:21 PM
            Gordon999
            Make a complaint about the threats to the Police Station and to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. and to the Tribunal .
            19-07-2017, 16:02 PM
          • Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
            bowsden
            Hello. First time landlord here. Am very near completion on an upper Tyneside flat that has 1 bedroom in the attic (total of 2). The conversion looks very very old to me and there is little or no insulation. In order to let this out, is there any ything I need to do? I.e. the present regs do not apply...
            13-07-2017, 09:43 AM
          Working...
          X