"Deed of covenant" required for sale of leasehold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TechMan View Post

people move in and the Deed is never returned by solicitors? Buyer's solicitor has no duty of care to RMC, and lets say asking sellers solicitor to chase buyer's solicitor does not bare fruit. Would you complain first to the new leaseholder and then to Law Society? In my case RMC is not freeholder.
    Thank you
    The freeholder should not issue a licence to assign the lease until all documents are received
    The freeholders issues licence to assign.

A new leaseholder normally wont have a clue what the lease says ( they are normally refused a copy )

R.T.M.
    You complain to the person responsible for ensuring all deeds are returned signed, and that is the freeholder. The freeholder - or via a RTM, or managing "Agent" would complete these tasks, but ultimsate responsibility lies with the freeholder.

R.M.C.
    You complain to the person responsible for ensuring all deeds are returned signed, and that is the freeholder, which are the Directors of the company ( Not the managing agent ).
    THEY are to keep tabs on the managing agent ( if one is employed ) to ensure they do the job properly.

Fortunatly in my Company Secretary roles, they were all R.M.C's and I did all the share transfers, answering all questions and making sure all documents required were received.
    There was one instance where the the solicitors did not advise us when new people were to move in, nor supplied the deeds require.
    I found out by accident they were to move in in 3 days time, ( at that time ) so i rang the solicitors and agents dealing with the sale to advise them seller did not have the signed licence to assign, and none had been asked for. Therefore they cannot move in in 3 days time. ( the flat was empty by the way - fortunately ).
    Oh yes they can, they said, oh no they can't because i will change the locks on the communal entrance door.
    No you can't do that.
    Yes i can, as it seems the lock is faulty and must be replaced immediately, ( be that true or not - but guess which one ) and all leaseholders will have a key in 2 days time, via personal visit to hand them the key , 24 hours before lock gets changed.

As the Freeholder has not given permission to transfer the lease, your clients cannot enter, and because they have no right to the lease as it stands, they wont be given a Key, therefor your clients will be homeless.
    Do you wish to tell your clients why they are stood outside with a furniture van and can't get in.

Within one hour, a solicitor or lacky drove to me with a pre-printed licence to assign, which I signed and copied as being the Co. Sec, and they went way muttering.

Don't mess with me if you don't do your job properly.

I have been heard to say, my name is ram ( real name given ) be afraid, be very afraid.
    ( Does not always work but works 75% of the time )

Don't know if i will include the above "be afraid"- but what the hell, you can all have a giggle.

Comment

Originally posted by ram View Post
      There was one instance where the the solicitors did not advise us when new people were to move in, nor supplied the deeds require.
      I found out by accident they were to move in in 3 days time, ( at that time ) so i rang the solicitors and agents dealing with the sale to advise them seller did not have the signed licence to assign, and none had been asked for. Therefore they cannot move in in 3 days time. ( the flat was empty by the way - fortunately ).
      Oh yes they can, they said, oh no they can't because i will change the locks on the communal entrance door.
      No you can't do that.
      Yes i can, as it seems the lock is faulty and must be replaced immediately, ( be that true or not - but guess which one ) and all leaseholders will have a key in 2 days time, via personal visit to hand them the key , 24 hours before lock gets changed.

As the Freeholder has not given permission to transfer the lease, your clients cannot enter, and because they have no right to the lease as it stands, they wont be given a Key, therefor your clients will be homeless.
      Do you wish to tell your clients why they are stood outside with a furniture van and can't get in.

Within one hour, a solicitor or lacky drove to me with a pre-printed licence to assign, which I signed and copied as being the Co. Sec, and they went way muttering.
      The solicitor was right and you were wrong. He no doubt gave in to avoid trouble - and incidentally because he should not have been completing the purchase of a leasehold property without a licence to assign where one is required - see further below.

So, what is the law?

We can start with a very clear statement from the property lawyer's bible, Megarry & Wade:
      "It is a fundamental principle of English law that property must not be rendered inalienable."

That means that if a lease is assigned without a licence where required the assignment is valid and the assignee becomes the tenant and is entitled to possession. We must though go on immediately to say that where there is such an assignment in breach of covenant the lease is liable to forfeiture - hence why an assignment should never be completed without a licence where required.

If your argument that the assignment would be invalid had been correct you still could not have barred entrance. If there was no assignment what would your valid reason have been for excluding the person who, according to you, was still the leaseholder?

If the solicitor had not played ball and you had carried out your threat you could have suffered serious consequences, not only civil but also criminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post

The solicitor was right and you were wrong. He no doubt gave in to avoid trouble - and incidentally because he should not have been completing the purchase of a leasehold property without a licence to assign where one is required
        Exactly,
        My "words" produced the required a result that was legally required by the lease. 15 love to me.( tennis ) no other actions / letters would have produced that result.

i left out the part -( as my post was too long to start with ) that the incoming leaseholder would be taken to court for breach of the lease

If a lock is faulty, and has to be changed immediately, and if I have no contact number for an incoming leaseholer tenant, then that's not my problem.
        Had i been given the details of the incoming tenant, with dates and a lock truly had to be replaced, I would have contacted them and said, when you arrive, ring doorbell number x, prove who you are and I will give you a new key.

There is no way to prove if a lock was faulty once a new one was fitted.

I would of course be there to hand over a new Key on the day, i'm not that stupid.
        But people arriving on site I probably have never seen before, demanding a key to enter, with no proof of ownership, will not be given a key.

But thanks for your explanation which I accept.

Have had too many people let their flats without Freeholder authorisation, and strangers stating they have lost their keys demanding keys to the common door and flat, and i have no idea who they are.
        Am i supposed to give complete strangers keys to common doors and flats just because the "say" they bought the lease or have just rented the place,. - NO.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Abandoned registered house
          by Kape65
          As far as I know councils do have powers to do this, I'm not sure what time periods are involved but I think they can possess houses that are deemed abandoned. If you search through auction catalogues you can find plenty of these that are being sold by LA's at nominal cost with improvement orders attached...
          21-06-2021, 16:59 PM
        • Abandoned registered house
          by Al2021
          There’s a house on my road that’s been empty for 7 years and the gardens are used a as tip and overgrown, it has a owner registered from the search I have done with LR and he no longer lives at that address, and also he has unpaid council tax orders. My question is can I claim the house make it...
          19-06-2021, 01:13 AM
          by Neelix
          Not sure you can "claim" a house - at best you will be viewed as a squatter, at worst its breaking and entering.
          21-06-2021, 15:02 PM
          by Al2021
          And also if I claim the house and after say a couple of years later the owner turns up will I be able to claim the money spent on the house? I would be getting rent and would he be able to claim the rent money from me?
          thanks
          21-06-2021, 14:30 PM
          by Al2021
          Thank you guys for your advice, Birmingham city council are unfair to people that need help with housing, 3 years ago I applied for a council house or flat and was rejected, also was on midland heart housing waiting list for about 2 years, had a baby in 2019 and had to buy a run down house of my brother...
          21-06-2021, 14:27 PM
        • Exchange and Completion on the same day
          by jjsmi7h
          Hi,

We had found a chain free property in December and agreed a price, got mortgage offers approved so on by the beginning of Feb this year. However, we suddenly learnt in Feb that the seller is not actually chain free and he was looking to by as well. Although not very happy, we...
          13-06-2021, 10:50 AM
        • Reply to Exchange and Completion on the same day
          by The Expert
          Exactly that...
          20-06-2021, 23:31 PM
          by jjsmi7h
          Hi Expert,

as an example, lets assume that Person A (me - at the bottom of the chain) buying from Person B for 500, and B is buying from Person C for 400 and again assume that no mortgages involved. So, what you are saying that we can pay directly 400 to C, and then remaining 100...
          20-06-2021, 20:00 PM
          by jjsmi7h
          In our case, we are at the bottom of the chain as we are not selling but just buying.

I am still not sure how we can technically send money directly to the top of the chain - we do not have the full list of the properties and solicitors involved in the entire chain. I believe we have 4...
          20-06-2021, 10:52 AM
          by The Expert
          Hi jjsmi7h, a simultaneous with 4 properties in the chain and requesting funds on a Friday for a SIM on Monday is a logistics nightmare. Especially if there are mortgages to redeem on each property. It can be done, of course, but keeping this simple, all parties in the chain need to synchronise. Each...
          20-06-2021, 09:46 AM
        Working...
        X