Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Conveyancing and selling

Hi,
    We are selling a property and doing our own 'Conveyancing' (if that is the right term for a Seller).

There is a mortgage on the property and from my reading of this post:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=1704885

it appears a solicitor is required to deal with the mortgage company ("it is an offence for any unqualified person to "prepare a contract for sale or a transfer, conveyance or mortgage relating to land in expectation of fee, gain or reward"), I am yet to read a book on DIY Conveyancing (which I will) - but could some one confirm whether as a seller we need a solicitor - if we act on our behalf - without 'expectation of a fee, gain or reward').
    Any other relevant advice would be of interest.
    Thanks

Existing longish thread on this question at: http://http://forums.moneysavingexpe....php?t=4457067
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

As you haven't read a book on this yet, I think this is probably not for you.

You don't need a solicitor to do this, and as the seller your job is the easiest, but prudence suggests that you should have researched this before you started to sell your house.

Not that I want to put anyone off doing this, because it's not particularly difficult, I'm just trying to read between the lines. If I'm jumping to the wrong conclusions then I apologise.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
        Joiner358
        We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
        19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
      • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
        wfd_property
        I would take your agreement to a solicitor and get specific advice....
        23-07-2017, 06:13 AM
      • Land registry trubunal
        Rosierees
        In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
        19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
      • Reply to Land registry trubunal
        wfd_property
        There is a 'public interest' test. There are various bits of guidance for journalism etc.

Impossible to say more without knowing details you probably won't want to give in open forum....
        23-07-2017, 06:11 AM
      • Title Deeds and Mortgage
        MAPTON
        Hi

Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
        22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
      • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
        wfd_property
        Or you just chuck her out and find a tenant?...
        23-07-2017, 06:09 AM
        MrShed
        Presuming that what you are wanting to achieve is allow your spouse to remain in the property despite her affordability not being good enough, I would suggest that you either:
        1) Keep the current situation exactly as it is.
        2) Make a formal contractual arrangement to pay your spouse X money...
        22-07-2017, 16:51 PM
        MrShed
        I would have thought virtually impossible. Think about it from the mortgagee's position - they have just effectively lost their security in the mortgage!...
        22-07-2017, 16:49 PM
      • Reply to Land registry trubunal
        AndrewDod
        What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
        21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
      • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
        Logical.Lean
        I don't think you can....
        20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
      Working...
      X