Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY Conveyancing and selling

Hi,
    We are selling a property and doing our own 'Conveyancing' (if that is the right term for a Seller).

There is a mortgage on the property and from my reading of this post:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=1704885

it appears a solicitor is required to deal with the mortgage company ("it is an offence for any unqualified person to "prepare a contract for sale or a transfer, conveyance or mortgage relating to land in expectation of fee, gain or reward"), I am yet to read a book on DIY Conveyancing (which I will) - but could some one confirm whether as a seller we need a solicitor - if we act on our behalf - without 'expectation of a fee, gain or reward').
    Any other relevant advice would be of interest.
    Thanks

Existing longish thread on this question at: http://http://forums.moneysavingexpe....php?t=4457067
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

As you haven't read a book on this yet, I think this is probably not for you.

You don't need a solicitor to do this, and as the seller your job is the easiest, but prudence suggests that you should have researched this before you started to sell your house.

Not that I want to put anyone off doing this, because it's not particularly difficult, I'm just trying to read between the lines. If I'm jumping to the wrong conclusions then I apologise.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• do i need a deed of covenant?
        SJAC
        this is my first post here so apologies if there are other posts about this, but i bought a flat in the middle of last year, assumed the solicitors took care of all they needed to, but while trying to find out about parking permits for the block of flats i have bought the flat in, discovered that the...
        16-01-2018, 09:39 AM
      • Reply to do i need a deed of covenant?
        leaseholder64
        With the exception of the share certificate, any solicitor should be able to draft them given a copy of the lease. You should have been given a photocopy of the lease, but you can order a copy from the Land Registry (make sure the web site has .gov.uk). You may also be able work out what is needed,...
        16-01-2018, 10:39 AM
      • Who owns the loft space?
        poptwig
        Hi
        I am new to this site. I've looked around for an equivalent scenario to my situation but haven't found one. I hope someone can help and this question isn't repetition...
        I live in a ground floor, purpose-built, maisonette (North London). There is a first floor maisonette above mine....
        15-08-2011, 00:07 AM
      • Reply to Who owns the loft space?
        wfd_property
        Its really a question for a solicitor. I would query whether you have the loft demised to you, though.

Does the other freeholder have a power of attorney who could consent for him?...
        15-01-2018, 21:53 PM
      • Reply to Who owns the loft space?
        Vassena
        Hi,

I know this is an old post but I have a very similar question regarding the ownership of the loft space in our flat which is also a Victorian split conversion (with a share of the freehold). We own tthe top floor flat and are the only owners of the roof. The lease of the lower ground...
        15-01-2018, 11:58 AM
      • Easement granted for septic tank drainage
        cfaproperty
        This is one for Jeffrey or Lawcruncher - our neighbours have their septic tank drainage on our land and it is permitted in the deeds that they can maintain, repair and renew as necessary for which we have no challenges. The system is leaking effluent onto our land but beyond the system that is outlined...
        18-05-2013, 13:26 PM
      • Reply to Easement granted for septic tank drainage
        wfd_property
        Seems reasonable that it would so encompass.........
        13-01-2018, 12:22 PM
      • Filling first accounts for company
        pred02
        Hi,

My neighbor and I purchased the freehold for a split flat maisonette. We formed a company to own a share of freehold and need to file out first accounts. As it is two of us we do not use the company for trade, we do not pay ground rent or have a management company. Can we just classify...
        06-01-2018, 14:48 PM
      • Reply to Filling first accounts for company
        wfd_property
        You don't want a mistake here. The company has (presumably) two shareholders and a rather big asset.

Depending how you use it (are you proposing to open a bank account and pay in to a sinking fund each year?) the accounts need to be prepared properly, albeit that there may be only three...
        13-01-2018, 12:19 PM
      • Reply to Easement granted for septic tank drainage
        The buggles
        Hi .. does anyone know if an easement for emptying and repair of septic tank also encompasses replacement?
        thanks
        10-01-2018, 15:48 PM
      Working...
      X