Council owned land in rear of garden question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council owned land in rear of garden question.

Fist of all a quick hello to all who reads this-

My wife and myself are in the process of purchasing a property and busy receiving the various checks on the property from our solicitor.

On the title deeds we received mention has been made in regard to the last 8ft section of the garden that's not included in the sale and belongs to the council. The council apparently leased this section of land to the current owners at no cost.

Has anybody came across this before? Would you be concerned about this?
    As per the written part- am I correct in thinking that this is mainly for maintenance? The water and drainage search does not suggest any pipes running there.

Pictures attached:

Questions that might get asked:
    * property is sold as freehold
    * property advertised as 68ft garden by estate agents
    * whole of 68ft fenced off
    * red section as per land registry
    * green section fenced off

photo storage

image sharing

Comment

Comment

By giving a lease or a licence of the land the Council prevents you acquiring a possessory title to it. If they ever want it back they can bring the lease/liecence to an end and repossess it.
        RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Many thanks for the reply Richard.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Selling empty property
            londiner
            Hi, I am selling an empty house without a tenant who moved out recently. The Estate agent told me the prospective buyer would live in the house. My solicitor I found online for this transaction based on a very competitive conveyasing fee sent me a contract to sign where the buyer is a limited company...
            09-08-2017, 19:31 PM
          • Reply to Selling empty property
            scriv
            IMHO I would walk away from this straight away. I really do not like the sound of this at all.

Sale should be completed in the proper way - or not at all.

And definitely do not allow them access into the property between exchange and completion nor allow them to do any changes...
            19-08-2017, 10:09 AM
            ram
            The answer to above is NO.

BEWARE.
            if a cheque is given, the money may appear on your statement / on line, but will be removed if the cheque bounces.

They cannot have access until you have the money in the bank.
            Make sure it's a bank transfer that happened, and not just...
            19-08-2017, 01:27 AM
            bluebonnie
            In your situation, with the property currently empty, there is no need for a gap between exchange and completion. No reason why you should give the buyer the use of the property for viewings/repairs before completion - complete 24 hours after exchange.
            18-08-2017, 22:29 PM
            londiner
            The buyer has finally agreed to provide the company name, address of the company for notifications and the names of the two persons authorized to sign the selling contract. With that information I have checked them out and they are a family property business that buys houses to let. My solicitors has...
            18-08-2017, 15:21 PM
          • Cancellations and the ramifications
            APorter910
            My nan has been in the process of selling her house for some time, all of the paperwork has been signed (I’m not sure which) and it’s getting close to her handing the keys over. She is looking to move into a smaller house, but needs to wait until everything is finalised until she can put an offer...
            Gorvins conveyancing solicitors in Manchester are trusted residential property experts that have decades of experience when it comes to buying or selling homes.
            17-08-2017, 18:37 PM
          • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
            leaseholder64
            This sounds all wrong. Although I've only been involved at the end of a chain, myself, my understanding is that she should be two stages away form handing over the keys.

First she would need to make and accept offers, subject to contract, and the seller would need to do so, as well....
            18-08-2017, 10:20 AM
          • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
            Tipper
            The issue is whether contracts have been 'exchanged'. Signing is only part of that whole process. If 'exchanged' then they are legally bound to complete the sale by the transfer of money or pay penalties/compensation.
            If your Nan has got this far then she should be making offers on a new property...
            18-08-2017, 09:45 AM
          • Filling out land registry forms?
            licensedtoquill
            I need to change a land registry entry. I have a flat which was left to myself and my sister in my grandfather's will. However she registered it in her sole name back in 1991. I assumed thereafter that she held it in a constructive or resulting trust for me but she has just informed me that she regards...
            17-08-2017, 22:04 PM
          • Reply to Filling out land registry forms?
            JK0
            I think you need to get a solicitor on this. I suspect your sister will thwart you alone.
            18-08-2017, 08:40 AM
          Working...
          X