Council owned land in rear of garden question.

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Council owned land in rear of garden question.

    Fist of all a quick hello to all who reads this-

    My wife and myself are in the process of purchasing a property and busy receiving the various checks on the property from our solicitor.

    On the title deeds we received mention has been made in regard to the last 8ft section of the garden that's not included in the sale and belongs to the council. The council apparently leased this section of land to the current owners at no cost.

    Has anybody came across this before? Would you be concerned about this?
    As per the written part- am I correct in thinking that this is mainly for maintenance? The water and drainage search does not suggest any pipes running there.

    Pictures attached:

    Questions that might get asked:
    * property is sold as freehold
    * property advertised as 68ft garden by estate agents
    * whole of 68ft fenced off
    * red section as per land registry
    * green section fenced off

    photo storage

  • #2

    image sharing


    • #3


      • #4
        By giving a lease or a licence of the land the Council prevents you acquiring a possessory title to it. If they ever want it back they can bring the lease/liecence to an end and repossess it.

        As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.


        • #5
          Many thanks for the reply Richard.


          Latest Activity


          • Land reg tribunal ..quick question
            If the respondant decides just before a hearing to settle before the hearing and we as applicants also agree what happens after the consent order is sent to the judge
            ? Thanks...
            20-08-2017, 11:05 AM
          • Reply to Land reg tribunal ..quick question
            Two related threads have been merged
            20-08-2017, 18:58 PM
          • D I Y Lease Variation.
            Due to the purchase of a freehold (shared 50/50), We need to vary the leases to accommodate the changes for our own purpose. We have be told that there is a fee of 750 pounds per lease, this does not include legal fees.

            How possible is it to do this process ourselves so to avoid legal...
            07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
          • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
            You will need to sign as both leaseholder and trustee for the freehold. I assume this will need to be done as a deed, so you will need to get the signatures witnessed. If there is a mortgage associated with either property, you will need to pay the mortgagee for approval and they may insist on a ...
            20-08-2017, 10:50 AM
          • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
            You can have a meeting of the 2 freeholders and agree to terminate the collection of ground rent and whatever minors actions which you want . The items agreed by both parties would be entered into a document signed and dated by both of you as variations to the lease which you could send to Land Registry...
            20-08-2017, 10:41 AM
          • Selling empty property
            Hi, I am selling an empty house without a tenant who moved out recently. The Estate agent told me the prospective buyer would live in the house. My solicitor I found online for this transaction based on a very competitive conveyasing fee sent me a contract to sign where the buyer is a limited company...
            09-08-2017, 19:31 PM
          • Reply to Selling empty property
            You can ask, but 24hours is irresponsible.
            But it takes as long as it takes for a solicitor to VERIFY you or he has the funds, then throw the keys into the estate agent that sold the house.What is YOUR RUSH ? for 24 hours.
            no need to answer as 24 hours is unacceptable.

            19-08-2017, 21:23 PM
          • Reply to Selling empty property
            Can I ask solicitor to set interval between exchange of contracts and completion to be 24 hours maximum?

            And, are there any penalties for the other party if they fail to complete on set day? Can I call off sell if completion does not happen when it should and drags on?
            19-08-2017, 20:32 PM
          • Cancellations and the ramifications
            My nan has been in the process of selling her house for some time, all of the paperwork has been signed (I’m not sure which) and it’s getting close to her handing the keys over. She is looking to move into a smaller house, but needs to wait until everything is finalised until she can put an offer...
            Gorvins conveyancing solicitors in Manchester are trusted residential property experts that have decades of experience when it comes to buying or selling homes.
            17-08-2017, 18:37 PM
          • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
            Your nan should not hand over any keys until the money has been paid into your nan's solicitor. bank account
            For the sale to proceed , there must be an exchange of sale contracts between buyer and seller solicitors and 10 % deposit paid. and an agreed exchange date.

            If buyer has...
            19-08-2017, 18:42 PM