Providing ID & bank statement to estate agent when buying property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitors will always ask for ID, whether cash buyer or not, indeed because of money laundering prevention purposes as you are their client and they will have to handle large amount of money of your behalf, and because they will handle land registry, stamp duty, etc. forms.

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
    No, cash buyers are not by default suspicious, the cash buyers who refuse to provide requested ID may well be.
    They should request ID in case of suspicious transactions, not ask for ID in all cases and tell you that you are now suspicious when voicing concerns.
    I've lived in authoritarian countries and they would appreciate the tactic

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
    Royw is welcome to follow your advice
    You did not understand my advice to him:
    If he's a serious buyer he should not spend too much time on the ID issue, and just show one to them. They key for him, imo, is to show that he's got the funds ready without showing his hand. Ie. that he's got the funds to match his offer, not more, and nothing else.

Seems to me Money Laundering is the financial equivalent of Elf 'n Sefty and we are not supposed to question it.
    If you question it the terrorists win.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
      Solicitors will always ask for ID, whether cash buyer or not…
      I know; I was just making the point that at one or more stages in the transaction ID will be required. If royw had objected to providing ID on principle then this would become a problem again later, it wasn’t until post #15 that royw made it clear that wasn’t the case.

They should request ID in case of suspicious transactions…
      I think it’s perhaps just the Estate Agent going through a formality a little too early in the process, and may also be combined with what you suggested about avoiding time-wasters.

You did not understand my advice to him:
      I did understand, and didn’t disagree, there would be no risk to royw other than possibly delaying the process (but not in this case since he’s bypassed the EA anyway).

But going back to post #1 which questioned why the EA was requesting ID and if it was a legal requirement, then I still think the answer is the requirements on EAs to follow Money Laundering regulations.
      I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
        Joiner358
        We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
        19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
      • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
        wfd_property
        I would take your agreement to a solicitor and get specific advice....
        23-07-2017, 06:13 AM
      • Land registry trubunal
        Rosierees
        In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
        19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
      • Reply to Land registry trubunal
        wfd_property
        There is a 'public interest' test. There are various bits of guidance for journalism etc.

Impossible to say more without knowing details you probably won't want to give in open forum....
        23-07-2017, 06:11 AM
      • Title Deeds and Mortgage
        MAPTON
        Hi

Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
        22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
      • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
        wfd_property
        Or you just chuck her out and find a tenant?...
        23-07-2017, 06:09 AM
        MrShed
        Presuming that what you are wanting to achieve is allow your spouse to remain in the property despite her affordability not being good enough, I would suggest that you either:
        1) Keep the current situation exactly as it is.
        2) Make a formal contractual arrangement to pay your spouse X money...
        22-07-2017, 16:51 PM
        MrShed
        I would have thought virtually impossible. Think about it from the mortgagee's position - they have just effectively lost their security in the mortgage!...
        22-07-2017, 16:49 PM
      • Reply to Land registry trubunal
        AndrewDod
        What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
        21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
      • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
        Logical.Lean
        I don't think you can....
        20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
      Working...
      X