Providing ID & bank statement to estate agent when buying property

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solicitors will always ask for ID, whether cash buyer or not, indeed because of money laundering prevention purposes as you are their client and they will have to handle large amount of money of your behalf, and because they will handle land registry, stamp duty, etc. forms.

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
    No, cash buyers are not by default suspicious, the cash buyers who refuse to provide requested ID may well be.
    They should request ID in case of suspicious transactions, not ask for ID in all cases and tell you that you are now suspicious when voicing concerns.
    I've lived in authoritarian countries and they would appreciate the tactic

Originally posted by Mars Mug View Post
    Royw is welcome to follow your advice
    You did not understand my advice to him:
    If he's a serious buyer he should not spend too much time on the ID issue, and just show one to them. They key for him, imo, is to show that he's got the funds ready without showing his hand. Ie. that he's got the funds to match his offer, not more, and nothing else.

Seems to me Money Laundering is the financial equivalent of Elf 'n Sefty and we are not supposed to question it.
    If you question it the terrorists win.

Comment

Originally posted by jjlandlord View Post
      Solicitors will always ask for ID, whether cash buyer or not…
      I know; I was just making the point that at one or more stages in the transaction ID will be required. If royw had objected to providing ID on principle then this would become a problem again later, it wasn’t until post #15 that royw made it clear that wasn’t the case.

They should request ID in case of suspicious transactions…
      I think it’s perhaps just the Estate Agent going through a formality a little too early in the process, and may also be combined with what you suggested about avoiding time-wasters.

You did not understand my advice to him:
      I did understand, and didn’t disagree, there would be no risk to royw other than possibly delaying the process (but not in this case since he’s bypassed the EA anyway).

But going back to post #1 which questioned why the EA was requesting ID and if it was a legal requirement, then I still think the answer is the requirements on EAs to follow Money Laundering regulations.
      I also post as Moderator2 when moderating

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Complicated adverse possession claim of leasehold owned by dissolved company
        Dazaa
        Hi, I am writing on behalf of a friend who has been in occupation of a leasehold building since 2011, taking over from someone else who was living there from 2008. The building has 55 years of the 100 year lease remaining and is registered as being owned by a company which was dissolved in 2008 and...
        17-01-2018, 14:03 PM
      • Reply to Complicated adverse possession claim of leasehold owned by dissolved company
        Dazaa
        Sorry for not being clear enough.
        The council owns the freehold and granted a lease to the now dissolved company in the 60's for 99 years, so the headlease belonged to the dissolved company. X is merely a 3rd party who contracted to the buy the lease in the late 90's but the deal did not go through,...
        17-01-2018, 20:34 PM
      • Reply to Complicated adverse possession claim of leasehold owned by dissolved company
        bluebonnie
        The council owns the freehold, but X has the headlease?

The Crown has disclaimed it because of the liabilities of ground rent - what does that mean - have you been in touch with Crown agent ? Who said what to whom? Has the Crown contacted the council?

Is your friend living...
        17-01-2018, 17:56 PM
      • do i need a deed of covenant?
        SJAC
        this is my first post here so apologies if there are other posts about this, but i bought a flat in the middle of last year, assumed the solicitors took care of all they needed to, but while trying to find out about parking permits for the block of flats i have bought the flat in, discovered that the...
        16-01-2018, 09:39 AM
      • Reply to do i need a deed of covenant?
        leaseholder64
        With the exception of the share certificate, any solicitor should be able to draft them given a copy of the lease. You should have been given a photocopy of the lease, but you can order a copy from the Land Registry (make sure the web site has .gov.uk). You may also be able work out what is needed,...
        16-01-2018, 10:39 AM
      • Who owns the loft space?
        poptwig
        Hi
        I am new to this site. I've looked around for an equivalent scenario to my situation but haven't found one. I hope someone can help and this question isn't repetition...
        I live in a ground floor, purpose-built, maisonette (North London). There is a first floor maisonette above mine....
        15-08-2011, 00:07 AM
      • Reply to Who owns the loft space?
        wfd_property
        Its really a question for a solicitor. I would query whether you have the loft demised to you, though.

Does the other freeholder have a power of attorney who could consent for him?...
        15-01-2018, 21:53 PM
      • Reply to Who owns the loft space?
        Vassena
        Hi,

I know this is an old post but I have a very similar question regarding the ownership of the loft space in our flat which is also a Victorian split conversion (with a share of the freehold). We own tthe top floor flat and are the only owners of the roof. The lease of the lower ground...
        15-01-2018, 11:58 AM
      • Easement granted for septic tank drainage
        cfaproperty
        This is one for Jeffrey or Lawcruncher - our neighbours have their septic tank drainage on our land and it is permitted in the deeds that they can maintain, repair and renew as necessary for which we have no challenges. The system is leaking effluent onto our land but beyond the system that is outlined...
        18-05-2013, 13:26 PM
      • Reply to Easement granted for septic tank drainage
        wfd_property
        Seems reasonable that it would so encompass.........
        13-01-2018, 12:22 PM
      Working...
      X