Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breach of contract

Dear all

I purchased a leasehold flat (In a house divided into flats) and agreed in the contract was transfer of a share in the freehold within 3 months. The vendor has failed to comply with this and not complied with my email request for confirmation of buildings insurance.

What are my options?

Your solicitor is the person who should be dealing with this. Copy of building insurance should have been received prior to exchange. Transfer of share of freehold is done by your solicitor after purchase and is between you and the freeholder (Company that owns the freehold)

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I believe there was insurance @ the time of exchange of contracts, but suspect the freeholder has subsequently cancelled it. (Leas sates he is responsible) . he does not appear to respond to any communication in respect of the freehold issue.

Proceed to county court?

Comment

As to the insurance, your solicitor will have been supplied details. You can check with the insurers if it is still running. If it is not you should take out cover without delay.

Comment

The freeholder cannot cancel the building insurance if he is
          responsible for it ( cost divided between all flats ) asthat would
          be a breach of the covenants of the lease on the freeholders
          obligations.

You should not insure the building yourself as it will be in the £ 1000
          price range, and litigation may ensue for you to get that money
          back.

You challengethe freeholder to uphold the lease and insure the
          building. You also don't want to pay extra, E.G. the insurance was
          cancelled 6 months before end date, with no refund, meaning if
          reinsure now, you will be paying for 6 extra months that were
          already paid for, but cancelled.

Comment

Why did your solicitor avise yout o agree to a contract whereby "a share in the freehold" was to be transferred within 3 months? Why not at the same time as you completed?
            RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Title Deeds and Mortgage
              MAPTON
              Hi

Not quite landlord related but hoping for some clarification one way or the other:-

Is it possible for me to remain on the mortgage but to sign over house to spouse, ie, take my name off of the title deeds. This is a divorce scenario and I am wishing to remain on mortgage...
              22-07-2017, 15:36 PM
            • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
              MrShed
              Presuming that what you are wanting to achieve is allow your spouse to remain in the property despite her affordability not being good enough, I would suggest that you either:
              1) Keep the current situation exactly as it is.
              2) Make a formal contractual arrangement to pay your spouse X money...
              22-07-2017, 16:51 PM
            • Reply to Title Deeds and Mortgage
              MrShed
              I would have thought virtually impossible. Think about it from the mortgagee's position - they have just effectively lost their security in the mortgage!...
              22-07-2017, 16:49 PM
            • Land registry trubunal
              Rosierees
              In our tribunal case the respondents solicitor has shown our witness statements to their witness s who in turn have put the info on Facebook and our witnesses have recieved threats !! Is this legal and what can we do now...
              19-07-2017, 12:08 PM
            • Reply to Land registry trubunal
              AndrewDod
              What kind of threats?

In general (in theory) the law is supposed to be an open thing. After all anyone in the public (and on facebook) should be able to attend a court hearing, listen to what a witness has to say, and report on the matter. That is what keeps the system (sort of) honest....
              21-07-2017, 14:33 PM
            • Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
              Joiner358
              We lent £15,000 to a family member who signed a loan agreement for the amount to be repaid on or before 30th September 2017. His circumstances have changed and it is unlikely that he will be able to repay this money by the due date. We would like to take steps to secure this money should his house...
              19-07-2017, 19:11 PM
            • Reply to Should I register a charge or a restriction on a property
              Logical.Lean
              I don't think you can....
              20-07-2017, 21:03 PM
              Rosierees
              Thank you it seems really unethical...
              19-07-2017, 19:21 PM
              Gordon999
              Make a complaint about the threats to the Police Station and to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. and to the Tribunal .
              19-07-2017, 16:02 PM
            • Upper flat with historic attic conversion - no search results = ok to let out ???
              bowsden
              Hello. First time landlord here. Am very near completion on an upper Tyneside flat that has 1 bedroom in the attic (total of 2). The conversion looks very very old to me and there is little or no insulation. In order to let this out, is there any ything I need to do? I.e. the present regs do not apply...
              13-07-2017, 09:43 AM
            Working...
            X