Who can a lease be assigned to?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who can a lease be assigned to?

Hello, done some reading around this question and need one bit of clarification. Think I saw something on this site before but can't seem to find it!

Scenario: I have converted a house into two flats with 2 seperatae entrances, utilities, gardens etc. Originally house had a freehold mortgage in the name of me and a partner.

I now need to split the title and create leases.

Is it possible to leave the freehold in the name of a partner and me and then assign both leases to myself?

Please help as I'm hearing various different things!

You can actually only assign an existing lease.

When it comes to creating a new lease the only impossibility is that the landlord and tenant are identical. So, A cannot grant a lease to A; and A and B cannot grant a lease to A and B. However, A can grant a lease to A and B; and A and B can grant a lease to B.

Why do you want to grant leases?

Comment

Thanks for the quick response.

I've been told by the mortgage company that I need to split the title and effectively split the mortgage so the original amount borrowed is split across each flat. Both flats are on rent and I need to set up a buy to let mortgage on each

I want to own the freehold with my partner and then assign the lease for each flat to myself - from what you wrote, this should be possible? Reason also for creating the leases is so I can borrow more against each flat and use the money for something else

What are your thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BuildersMate View Post
        I've been told by the mortgage company that I need to split the title and effectively split the mortgage so the original amount borrowed is split across each flat. Both flats are on rent and I need to set up a buy to let mortgage on each
        That makes no sense that I can see. How can it improve the mortgage company's security? It is either a case of the mortgage company not knowing what it is is doing or a case of churning to generate fees.

Originally posted by BuildersMate View Post
        I want to own the freehold with my partner and then assign the lease for each flat to myself - from what you wrote, this should be possible? Reason also for creating the leases is so I can borrow more against each flat and use the money for something else
        If as a matter of fact you can borrow more by mortgaging each flat separately then that does make sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawcruncher View Post
          That makes no sense that I can see. How can it improve the mortgage company's security?
          Ok....

If the lender has to repossess/sell, then it is far easier to sell two leasehold flats to either owner occupiers or individual BTL, as opposed to a house divided into flats. Accordingly the value will be higher.

I agree that it is perfectly possible to fund it without granting leases, and using a company as below might avoid the need to separate ownerships as lawcruncher has posted, but you might get better terms.

I suggest you discuss with it a solicitor who deal with property matters not just a conveyancer and get advice from a financial consultant not "dave" really Sanjeet, from the call centre.

I'd be careful though about the freehold and creation of leases and take tax advice to minimise your liability.

As freeholds can be valuable too, and bluntly A + B may fall out/fail to agree, I suggest the freehold be put into a simple company,with 2 shares, so that you can sell the freehold ( by selling the company) later without having to offer it to leaseholders.

But either way do make sure that you put into your declaration of trust partnership agreement or articles some form of mediation or arbitration in the event you disagree over something.
          Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.

Comment

Good advice about a company owning the freehold, so that selling the company has some tax advantages over selling the freehold title.
            But either way do make sure that you put into your declaration of trust partnership agreement or articles some form of mediation or arbitration in the event you disagree over something.
            As an example use the Accountant for financial disagreements or the solicitor for legal disagreements.
            I was lucky not to need either, but my fellow director and I who owned 50% shares each, had that agreement written into the Memorandum for the company.
            Hindsight is a great gift, as is using other people's experiences, which this web-site often imparts on posters.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Land reg tribunal ..quick question
              Rosierees
              If the respondant decides just before a hearing to settle before the hearing and we as applicants also agree what happens after the consent order is sent to the judge
              ? Thanks...
              20-08-2017, 11:05 AM
            • Reply to Land reg tribunal ..quick question
              Moderator2
              Two related threads have been merged
              20-08-2017, 18:58 PM
            • D I Y Lease Variation.
              Trevor62
              Due to the purchase of a freehold (shared 50/50), We need to vary the leases to accommodate the changes for our own purpose. We have be told that there is a fee of 750 pounds per lease, this does not include legal fees.

How possible is it to do this process ourselves so to avoid legal...
              07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
            • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
              leaseholder64
              You will need to sign as both leaseholder and trustee for the freehold. I assume this will need to be done as a deed, so you will need to get the signatures witnessed. If there is a mortgage associated with either property, you will need to pay the mortgagee for approval and they may insist on a ...
              20-08-2017, 10:50 AM
            • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
              Gordon999
              You can have a meeting of the 2 freeholders and agree to terminate the collection of ground rent and whatever minors actions which you want . The items agreed by both parties would be entered into a document signed and dated by both of you as variations to the lease which you could send to Land Registry...
              20-08-2017, 10:41 AM
            • Selling empty property
              londiner
              Hi, I am selling an empty house without a tenant who moved out recently. The Estate agent told me the prospective buyer would live in the house. My solicitor I found online for this transaction based on a very competitive conveyasing fee sent me a contract to sign where the buyer is a limited company...
              09-08-2017, 19:31 PM
            • Reply to Selling empty property
              ram
              You can ask, but 24hours is irresponsible.
              But it takes as long as it takes for a solicitor to VERIFY you or he has the funds, then throw the keys into the estate agent that sold the house.What is YOUR RUSH ? for 24 hours.
              no need to answer as 24 hours is unacceptable.

19-08-2017, 21:23 PM
            • Reply to Selling empty property
              londiner
              Can I ask solicitor to set interval between exchange of contracts and completion to be 24 hours maximum?

And, are there any penalties for the other party if they fail to complete on set day? Can I call off sell if completion does not happen when it should and drags on?
              19-08-2017, 20:32 PM
            • Cancellations and the ramifications
              APorter910
              My nan has been in the process of selling her house for some time, all of the paperwork has been signed (I’m not sure which) and it’s getting close to her handing the keys over. She is looking to move into a smaller house, but needs to wait until everything is finalised until she can put an offer...
              Gorvins conveyancing solicitors in Manchester are trusted residential property experts that have decades of experience when it comes to buying or selling homes.
              17-08-2017, 18:37 PM
            • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
              Gordon999
              Your nan should not hand over any keys until the money has been paid into your nan's solicitor. bank account
              For the sale to proceed , there must be an exchange of sale contracts between buyer and seller solicitors and 10 % deposit paid. and an agreed exchange date.

If buyer has...
              19-08-2017, 18:42 PM
            Working...
            X