Can I secure full title guarantee ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I secure full title guarantee ?

Would greatly appreciate comments or suggestions regarding this matter.

I bought a house in 2006 (freehold). The property was
    purchased from a developer which has gone into
    administration. The solicitor that acted for both myself
    and lender was intervened by the Law Society for fraud.

I have a mortgage on the property but did not take out the inital mortgage with the current bank.

But over that period I have discovered that the solicitor
    claimed to have passed on a full title guarantee could not have done so as the owners of the land refused to sign
    title over to the developers. At no point during the
    conveyance was I informed of the above. In my opinion, the solicitor was clearly fraudulent and grossly negligent.

The Solicitors that acted for the Law Society could not
    find any original copies of title and no certified or
    notarized copies either.

The owners of the land are only prepared to offer a limited
    guarantee and the bank are trying to force me to sign a limited title guarantee and seek to take me to
    court to enforce this.

Am I in my right not to sign this as
    a) FTG does not and never existed as land owners never
    passed it on ?
    b) How can I ensure I get a full title?
    C) What are the implications if I accept or am ordered by
    the court to accept a limited title?
    d)I don't believe caeat emptor applies as I was induced to
    buy this property based on the fraudulent/negligence/
    misrepresentation of the solicitor?
    e) what the implications if I continue not to have any title

If the land owners are prepared to transfer the title to you but are only giving limited title gauarantee you are getting 99.5% of what you want. The difference between full and limited title gauarantee is usually of little signficance.

I think you are confusing title gauarantee with whether or not you get an absolute title. If they have an absolute title tothe land they will transfer an absolute title to you even if they do so with limited title guarantee.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.

Comment

Thanks for the comment. I am a bit concerned that I might find it difficult to sell the house as I believe most buyers would be hesitant to purchase a house with a limited guarantee.

Comment

Originally posted by tmate View Post
        Thanks for the comment. I am a bit concerned that I might find it difficult to sell the house as I believe most buyers would be hesitant to purchase a house with a limited guarantee.
        With respect I am not sure you understand the significance of "title guarantees". It is perhaps not surprising as the phrase is misleading. It has nothing to do with the solidity of your title. The phrases "with full title guarantee" and "with limited title guarantee" are legal shorthand for a set of warranties or covenants on the part of the seller implied into a deed. See section 3 of this guide: http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/profe...ctice-guide-48 When you come to sell the buyer will not know what title guarantee was given when you bought and it is in any event of no interest - all he is concerned with is what title guarantee you give.

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Freehold purchasing costs
          by Anna1985
          Freehold Purchase Conveyancing costs:

I had a number of quotes from £500 to £1500 + disimbursemtns and vat....
          What is the good price?

There is all in place company and structure. Thanks
          02-12-2019, 17:18 PM
        • Reply to Freehold purchasing costs
          by Gordon999
          Have you checked the freehold title and site plan are correct ? Both items can be purchased for £3 each by credit card and downloaded from Land Registry Online ?

Is your company buying the freehold title without mortgage ? What is the reason for such a large difference in price...
          08-12-2019, 11:12 AM
        • Reply to RFR deceased owner
          by ATC
          Go to a really good solicitor not some conveyancing bucketshop where your work will be handled by someone less than an expert. I think given that the executors are seized of both the freehold and a fifty year lease they can extend the leasehold interest by simple deed, transferring years to the lease...
          06-12-2019, 01:34 AM
        • RFR deceased owner
          by cnatspell
          My dear old mum passed away last year leaving her flat to be sold as part of the estate. the flat was the top floor of three in the building and she owned the freehold (including garden, garage etc) as well as the lease on her flat. there was 50 odd years left on the lease. given that she was a landlord...
          02-12-2019, 19:54 PM
        • Reply to RFR deceased owner
          by Gordon999
          If the leasehold flat has only 50 years unexpired remaining , it should be given a statutory 90 years lease extension before putting on the market for sale or the buyer cannot get a mortgage and seller cannot get the highest sale price.

The sale is not by a resident landlord, its by the...
          02-12-2019, 21:31 PM
        • Reply to Highway rights
          by leaseholder64
          Being a public right of way doesn't mean that you don't own it. We are not even necessarily talking about adopted status here. Extinguishing a right of way is not the same as getting adverse possession. (In particular, blocking a public right of way is a criminal offence, whereas fencing off land...
          02-12-2019, 17:56 PM
        • Highway rights
          by Deckie
          We bought our house in 1998 and at that time there was a public pathway between our garden and the neighbour's which lead from the street to the canal running at the end of the garden. I learnt that when the houses were built in 1980 the plan was to build a bridge across the canal at the end of the...
          30-11-2019, 19:53 PM
        • Reply to Right to first refusal?
          by Anna1985
          Imho, as the owner was leaving in the property, and the lease reverted to the freehold there is probably no right of 1st refusal but it is all depends on the price
          02-12-2019, 16:50 PM
        • Right to first refusal?
          by Pocahontas
          Hello

Im not sure if I am in the right part of the forum.

Im a leaseholder of a ground floor flat and the owner of the first floor flat has passed away. It’s going on the market for sale soon and I’ve told them I’m interested in purchasing it.

the flat...
          08-10-2019, 08:21 AM
        • Reply to Highway rights
          by Gordon999
          If you have owned your house since 1998, its over 12 years and you qualify to start a claim by adverse possession.
          02-12-2019, 03:31 AM
        Working...
        X