Buying a flat - current owner has submitted eviction notice to tenant who won't leave

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Buying a flat - current owner has submitted eviction notice to tenant who won't leave

    Dear all

    First time poster here. I am in the process of buying a flat in North London, my offer having been accepted in September. The current owner has had a tenant in there, who was served a two month Section 21 notice on 1st November. It is now the 2nd of January and he remains in the property, apparently due to his inability to find suitable replacement accommodation. He is a HB recipient which I imagine makes his search more difficult. The sellers agent tells me that they are doing their best to assist his search, and that an eviction application was submitted to the court this morning.

    It may be that a suitable flat is found for him, but if it ends up being necessary for the current owner to proceed with the eviction process, I'm wondering how long it is likely to take. From what I've read, it is usually 3-6 months. The agent told me this morning they usually get possession in around 8 weeks, and that it's something they have experience in doing.

    Would anyone here be able to advise me based on their own experiences? I'm asking my solicitor whether drawing up a conditional contract would be a good idea, so as to bind the vendor into the sale. I'm willing to wait, as the flat is a good £20k under market value, but my mortgage offer will expire at the end of Feb and I would really really like to avoid having to go through the incredibly arduous application again.

  • #2
    The tenant can only be removed by the landlord with a possession order granted by the Courts. The s21 notice is only notice that the LL wishes to seek possession. It is not a notice to quit.

    The LL could pay the T to leave.
    There is always scope for misinterpretation.

    If my posts can be interpreted in two ways, one that makes you feel angry and one that doesn't, I meant the latter.

    Everyday is an opportunity to learn something new.


    • #3
      In the circumstances outlined, it would be foolish to count on this tenant leaving by the end of February. Court application, hearing, possession order, bailiffs - probably not.


      • #4
        Did you tell your solicitors that there was a tenant in the flat? Landlord should have served the notice immediately your offer was accepted and your solicitors should have insisted on this. If I was your solicitor I would have warned you that there was no gauarantee tennat would go when you wanted so best to consider buying something else.

        As a conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful (provided it relates to property in England & Wales) but I accept no liability except to fee-paying clients.


        • #5
          A conditional contract is certainly the way to prevent the seller from selling to anyone else. You will though need to make sure that the contract provides for the seller to serve the necessary notice and start proceedings at the earliest possible date and proceed with them diligently up to and including employing bailiffs to remove the tenants. Further, the contract should provide for you to have the right to waive the condition. It is important that the contract provides for completion of the contract to be conditional on obtaining vacant possession, not for the contract itself to be conditional on obtaining vacant possession.


          Latest Activity


          • Land reg tribunal ..quick question
            If the respondant decides just before a hearing to settle before the hearing and we as applicants also agree what happens after the consent order is sent to the judge
            ? Thanks...
            20-08-2017, 11:05 AM
          • Reply to Land reg tribunal ..quick question
            Two related threads have been merged
            20-08-2017, 18:58 PM
          • D I Y Lease Variation.
            Due to the purchase of a freehold (shared 50/50), We need to vary the leases to accommodate the changes for our own purpose. We have be told that there is a fee of 750 pounds per lease, this does not include legal fees.

            How possible is it to do this process ourselves so to avoid legal...
            07-07-2017, 09:45 AM
          • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
            You will need to sign as both leaseholder and trustee for the freehold. I assume this will need to be done as a deed, so you will need to get the signatures witnessed. If there is a mortgage associated with either property, you will need to pay the mortgagee for approval and they may insist on a ...
            20-08-2017, 10:50 AM
          • Reply to D I Y Lease Variation.
            You can have a meeting of the 2 freeholders and agree to terminate the collection of ground rent and whatever minors actions which you want . The items agreed by both parties would be entered into a document signed and dated by both of you as variations to the lease which you could send to Land Registry...
            20-08-2017, 10:41 AM
          • Selling empty property
            Hi, I am selling an empty house without a tenant who moved out recently. The Estate agent told me the prospective buyer would live in the house. My solicitor I found online for this transaction based on a very competitive conveyasing fee sent me a contract to sign where the buyer is a limited company...
            09-08-2017, 19:31 PM
          • Reply to Selling empty property
            You can ask, but 24hours is irresponsible.
            But it takes as long as it takes for a solicitor to VERIFY you or he has the funds, then throw the keys into the estate agent that sold the house.What is YOUR RUSH ? for 24 hours.
            no need to answer as 24 hours is unacceptable.

            19-08-2017, 21:23 PM
          • Reply to Selling empty property
            Can I ask solicitor to set interval between exchange of contracts and completion to be 24 hours maximum?

            And, are there any penalties for the other party if they fail to complete on set day? Can I call off sell if completion does not happen when it should and drags on?
            19-08-2017, 20:32 PM
          • Cancellations and the ramifications
            My nan has been in the process of selling her house for some time, all of the paperwork has been signed (I’m not sure which) and it’s getting close to her handing the keys over. She is looking to move into a smaller house, but needs to wait until everything is finalised until she can put an offer...
            Gorvins conveyancing solicitors in Manchester are trusted residential property experts that have decades of experience when it comes to buying or selling homes.
            17-08-2017, 18:37 PM
          • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
            Your nan should not hand over any keys until the money has been paid into your nan's solicitor. bank account
            For the sale to proceed , there must be an exchange of sale contracts between buyer and seller solicitors and 10 % deposit paid. and an agreed exchange date.

            If buyer has...
            19-08-2017, 18:42 PM