Sale of Share of Freehold Flat

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Sale of Share of Freehold Flat

    I own a flat in a block of five and we all own a share in the Freehold. The Freehold is owned by a Limited company of which we are all Directors and each hold one share per flat. Recntly one of the owners sold their flat with its share in the Freehold and has now asked the Company to repay his loan to the Company for the original purchase of the Freehold. The Company Accounts express the monies used for the original purchase of the Freehold as 'loans from shareholders to enable the company to acquire the freehold'and he is trying to exploit this to obtain a refund of his original costs for purchasing his share in the Freehold. We do not feel that this is fair as he has already sold his share to the new owner and has received a higher value for the property as a result. Can he really have his cake and eat it?

  • #2
    It depends on what terms the loans were made, what your minutes or resolutions said about them at the time, and what your articles say.

    Did you extend your leases, if so then the majority of that loan has been repaid by the conversion of the asset to a longer lease for an individual, as the value has been taken out. The remainder would reflect the right to sell other leases ground rent income and any development rights.

    Sale of the flat and the share in the company can be a way to deal with the loan but in the absence of context, as above, they could argue that they can have their cake and eat it.

    Pull out the above documents and see.
    Based on the information posted, I offer my thoughts.Any action you then take is your liability. While commending individual effort, there is no substitute for a thorough review of documents and facts by paid for professional advisers.


    • #3
      Often in companies holding the freehold of a block of flats, there will be a clause in the "Articles of Association" to say members must be leaseholders in the block. So after the sale of flat, the share in the freehold company must be transferred to next flat owner.


      Latest Activity


      • Cancellations and the ramifications
        My nan has been in the process of selling her house for some time, all of the paperwork has been signed (I’m not sure which) and it’s getting close to her handing the keys over. She is looking to move into a smaller house, but needs to wait until everything is finalised until she can put an offer...
        Gorvins conveyancing solicitors in Manchester are trusted residential property experts that have decades of experience when it comes to buying or selling homes.
        17-08-2017, 18:37 PM
      • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
        Your nan should not hand over any keys until the money has been paid you nan's solicitor. For the sale to proceed , there must be an exchange of sale contracts between buyer and seller solicitors and 10 % deposit paid. and an agreed exchange date. If buyer has faIled to get a mortgage or held up in...
        19-08-2017, 18:42 PM
      • how to convert freehold to leasehold for groundfloor flat
        I own a freehold ground floor flat and there is one more freehold flat above me with another owner. Just the 2 flats in one building . Purpose built with separate entrances. No common area.
        My prospective buyer has pulled out because it is a freehold flat.
        How can I make my flat into a leasehold...
        16-08-2017, 10:19 AM
      • Reply to how to convert freehold to leasehold for groundfloor flat
        Mortgage lenders require a flat to have a maintenance contract and this is usually satisfied by offering flats under leasehold title. So most flats in E&W are held under leasehold title and for most blocks there is one freehold title for the entire building + separate leasehold title for each...
        19-08-2017, 18:32 PM
      • Filling out land registry forms?
        I need to change a land registry entry. I have a flat which was left to myself and my sister in my grandfather's will. However she registered it in her sole name back in 1991. I assumed thereafter that she held it in a constructive or resulting trust for me but she has just informed me that she regards...
        17-08-2017, 22:04 PM
      • Reply to Filling out land registry forms?
        You need a solicitor to change the registered name of the property title holder. You cannot do this by yourself....
        19-08-2017, 18:19 PM
      • Selling empty property
        Hi, I am selling an empty house without a tenant who moved out recently. The Estate agent told me the prospective buyer would live in the house. My solicitor I found online for this transaction based on a very competitive conveyasing fee sent me a contract to sign where the buyer is a limited company...
        09-08-2017, 19:31 PM
      • Reply to Selling empty property
        I am really worried about this sale.

        I cannot trust even my own solicitor to do things properly.

        I shall have to clarify things with them about the method of payment on Monday. And explain that no keys till the money is in the bank.

        Many thanks everyone for all...
        19-08-2017, 16:59 PM
      • Reply to Selling empty property
        IMHO I would walk away from this straight away. I really do not like the sound of this at all.

        Sale should be completed in the proper way - or not at all.

        And definitely do not allow them access into the property between exchange and completion nor allow them to do any changes...
        19-08-2017, 10:09 AM
      • Reply to Selling empty property
        The answer to above is NO.

        if a cheque is given, the money may appear on your statement / on line, but will be removed if the cheque bounces.

        They cannot have access until you have the money in the bank.
        Make sure it's a bank transfer that happened, and not just...
        19-08-2017, 01:27 AM