restrictions land regisrty

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • restrictions land regisrty

    Hi, I would really welcome any advise regarding restrictions on land registry.
    In 1999 my Father and I went to a solicitor regarding his house, my fathers wife was in a care home at the time and he lived in the house alone, the house was in joint names with his wife, my father wanted to give his half of the house to me and at that time had power of atourney for his wife.The solicitor suggested splitting the ownership to tenants in common this enabled him to give his half away to me and leave his wife owning the other half,the solicitor drew up an agreement. The solicitor stated that in event of his wife dying a valuation should be obtained and kept then in the future when my father died the half of the house that belonged to his wife should be split equally between her 3 children however only the valuation at time of death, hope this makes sense, several other things were set up in this agreement ie I could not charge my father rent, he could not hold me responsible for repairs and utility bills, he could sell the house but the new house would then still be in joint names.I never had a copy of this agreement and the solicitors do not have one either as they destroy these kind of documents after 7 yrs.My fathers wife died in 2003 and until September 2012 the house was still registered in mine and his wifes name.My relationship with my father broke down after his wife died as he met a woman and he contacted me to say he wanted to sign the house back to him as he wanted the money from it to go on holidays etc and then live in this womans house he then presented me with a new will that left his share of the house to her and also all his possesions,I did not trust this lady and to protect my father refused to sign the property back to him, his name was not on the title deeds just mine and his dead wifes.I have now got the propery in my sole name however there are restrictions which state
    ..No disposition by a sole proprietor(not being a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered except under an order of the registrar or of the court.
    Can anyone out there tell me what this means ? I know it has something to do with what my father did with the solicitor because the date of the restriction is 1999.I apologise for the lengthy entry I just wanted to give background information.

  • #2
    Ask Land Registry records to supply copy of the restriction document and take it to a local solicitor for explanation


    • #3
      Take a look at our online Public Guide 18 at
      The restriciton is known as a form A restriction and the guide explains it's impact from a registration perspective.
      The restriction can be registered for a number of reasons, one of which would be the circumstanecs as described in your post, so as Gordon999 states understanding the circumstanecs behind it's registration is important as well as seeking legal advice


      • #4
        Definitely go and see a solicitor. The land registry have good guides on this type of situation. Once you know what the reason for the restriction is you can arrange for its removal. The only issue you will have is any rights of third parties. From what I can see the third party rights will be he children (or other beneficiaries) of the deceased wife.
        Hope that helps.


        Latest Activity


        • Selling empty property
          Hi, I am selling an empty house without a tenant who moved out recently. The Estate agent told me the prospective buyer would live in the house. My solicitor I found online for this transaction based on a very competitive conveyasing fee sent me a contract to sign where the buyer is a limited company...
          09-08-2017, 19:31 PM
        • Reply to Selling empty property
          You can ask, but 24hours is irresponsible.
          But it takes as long as it takes for a solicitor to VERIFY you or he has the funds, then throw the keys into the estate agent that sold the house.What is YOUR RUSH ? for 24 hours.
          no need to answer as 24 hours is unacceptable.

          19-08-2017, 21:23 PM
        • Reply to Selling empty property
          Can I ask solicitor to set interval between exchange of contracts and completion to be 24 hours maximum?

          And, are there any penalties for the other party if they fail to complete on set day? Can I call off sell if completion does not happen when it should and drags on?
          19-08-2017, 20:32 PM
        • Cancellations and the ramifications
          My nan has been in the process of selling her house for some time, all of the paperwork has been signed (I’m not sure which) and it’s getting close to her handing the keys over. She is looking to move into a smaller house, but needs to wait until everything is finalised until she can put an offer...
          Gorvins conveyancing solicitors in Manchester are trusted residential property experts that have decades of experience when it comes to buying or selling homes.
          17-08-2017, 18:37 PM
        • Reply to Cancellations and the ramifications
          Your nan should not hand over any keys until the money has been paid into your nan's solicitor. bank account
          For the sale to proceed , there must be an exchange of sale contracts between buyer and seller solicitors and 10 % deposit paid. and an agreed exchange date.

          If buyer has...
          19-08-2017, 18:42 PM
        • how to convert freehold to leasehold for groundfloor flat
          I own a freehold ground floor flat and there is one more freehold flat above me with another owner. Just the 2 flats in one building . Purpose built with separate entrances. No common area.
          My prospective buyer has pulled out because it is a freehold flat.
          How can I make my flat into a leasehold...
          16-08-2017, 10:19 AM
        • Reply to how to convert freehold to leasehold for groundfloor flat
          Mortgage lenders require a flat to have a maintenance contract and this is usually satisfied by offering flats under leasehold title. So most flats in E&W are held under leasehold title and for most blocks there is one freehold title for the entire building + separate leasehold title for each...
          19-08-2017, 18:32 PM
        • Filling out land registry forms?
          I need to change a land registry entry. I have a flat which was left to myself and my sister in my grandfather's will. However she registered it in her sole name back in 1991. I assumed thereafter that she held it in a constructive or resulting trust for me but she has just informed me that she regards...
          17-08-2017, 22:04 PM
        • Reply to Filling out land registry forms?
          You need a solicitor to change the registered name of the property title holder. You cannot do this by yourself....
          19-08-2017, 18:19 PM
        • Reply to Selling empty property
          I am really worried about this sale.

          I cannot trust even my own solicitor to do things properly.

          I shall have to clarify things with them about the method of payment on Monday. And explain that no keys till the money is in the bank.

          Many thanks everyone for all...
          19-08-2017, 16:59 PM