Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Council tax exemption

Hi,

We purchased a flat which was empty by virtue of the fact the previous owner was in a nursing home and then died. Took a while to purchase because of probate.

When purchased we informed the council that it was an unoccupied property awaiting let and therefore exempt from council tax. 5 months on they have informed us that it is not exempt because it was previously unoccupied.

Is this correct - whether or not exemption was previously claimed?

In my naivety I assumed that the exempt period would start from the date of purchase and that it was the owner who was exempt not the property.

Thanks

Exemption is property-specific, not person-specific.
    BUT Council Tax chargeable neither (a) for 6mth void [yours] nor (b) during Probate period [vendor's]. Try explaining the difference to the Council.
    JEFFREY SHAW, solicitor [and Topic Expert], Nether Edge Law*
    1. Public advice is believed accurate, but I accept no legal responsibility except to direct-paying private clients.
    2. Telephone advice: see http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=34638.
    3. For paid advice about conveyancing/leaseholds/L&T, contact me* and become a private client.
    4. *- Contact info: click on my name (blue-highlight link).

Comment

If the property has been expempt then the council are unlikely to award you 6 months exepmption. However they will reduce your liabilty to 50%. Its not right but hey this is the government!
      GOVERNMENT HEALTH WARNING: I am a woman and am therefore prone to episodes of PMT... if you don't like what I have to say you can jolly well put it in your pipe and SMOKE IT!!

Oh and on a serious note... I am NOT a Legal person and therefore anything I post could be complete and utter drivel... but its what I have learned in the University called Life!

Comment

Latest Activity

Collapse

• Reply to Joint ownership swap on properties
        by Gordon999
        If one of the 50:50 properties happens to be the "private residence" of other family member , you should allow in the swap that he receives the other 50% of the private residence ( to make up 100% ownership.)

Private residence is relevant after property sale for claiming...
        16-05-2022, 08:41 AM
      • Joint ownership swap on properties
        by space cowboy
        We have several rented out properties which we have inherited and have been left in Joint 50/50 ownership with another family member, We want to continue renting out but the other family member wants to sell his share.

We have been told by our accountant we can swap properties of even value...
        13-05-2022, 14:16 PM
      • Reply to Carpeting Breach on purchase
        by AndrewDod
        I'd probably pull out if you don't want to carpet it....
        15-05-2022, 18:21 PM
      • Carpeting Breach on purchase
        by Stevo h
        Hello
        we are on the final stages of purchasing a flat which was purpose built 3 years ago by a prestige developer to a high standard with lift nice kitchen fancy doors and windows.
        When reading the lease we noticed that it mentions about bedroom and hallway needed to have underlay and...
        13-05-2022, 09:42 AM
        by Stevo h
        So basically I cannot fight it without paying a big bill.
        so only choice is to pull out and face a big bill or pay for carpets Overton of nice flooring and paying again to have two doors trimmed.
        Tototally frustrated....
        15-05-2022, 17:14 PM
        by Stevo h
        Looks like all 20 properties were sold without a single person realising that the flooring was wood and not ├žarpet meaning every one was in breach of their lease from the start.
        And the developer who still owns properties there and is registered as the company running the show Newmans Yard Ltd,...
        15-05-2022, 16:58 PM
        by AndrewDod
        So you considered the contract that was being sold to you
        Accepted it
        Accepted a cash offer to make good and a rebate on purchase price

It is not a "bizarre" thing

> would the land lord need to take enforcement action against the whole 20 owners if...
        15-05-2022, 11:41 AM
        by Stevo h
        After I noticed it and pointed it out the seller contacted her solicitor and the while can of worms opened,
        the seller hit a brick wall with all her attempts of getting answers and finally offered a cash offer for us to complete the work.
        But I am not really keen on having doors trimming...
        15-05-2022, 11:29 AM
        by AndrewDod
        So when was the lease changed? You would have bought the lease from someone else. Leases don't just secretly change at the point of purchase. Nor do they change when the freeholder is changed.

Yes I can see on the photographs the wooden floors in their sales pack.

Why did your...
        15-05-2022, 08:57 AM
        by Stevo h
        We only signed 1 lease.
        15-05-2022, 08:24 AM
      Working...
      X